Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
(Then it’s also a cultural aspect since it’s illegal to crate your dog where I live and it’s viewed as animal cruelty.)

Can I ask then, how do you keep a puppy safe?
We crate a puppy at night, so hopefully we can get some sleep and while we are gone to keep them safe... say from chewing cords or ticked off siblings.
I don't think it's possible for any human to be with a new pup 24/7.
Also, crating is good training for when they will be spending the day at vet or groomer.
Interested to hear how y'all get it done, thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Oh, ok. My brain is using crate/pen the same, I guess.
We use a pen, plenty of space to move around.
Crates are used for transport only...or the one ornery old bat for feeding.
Thanks.

·
Registered
108 Posts
(I don't really see a moral or practical difference between confining the dog in crate, versus in a pen or even a room like a mudroom or bathroom.)

It may be in the general idea of a crate.. big enough to stand and lie down, that's kinda it. Pens and rooms are usually big enough to move around in.
Willow's pen is good size...and yes, we had to put a top on.
Just a different perception, perhaps. Crates, rooms or pens, what ever it takes to keep a pup safe. And I'm assuming most people are using them mostly for puppies, or new adoptions. Probably a rare occurrence that an adult dog needs one "full time".

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've never used an ex-pen. This photo is from the breeder of my Story and shows what one of her littermates did with an ex-pen. I had another even cuter picture from another friend of her Rottie puppy doing the same (and even closer to freedom) but can't find it. View attachment 262883
Yep, our new pup, Willow, did that on day two.
Solution...we removed two panels and made a lid. She still has plenty of room and is safe from herself while we are gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts