Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a small hound (Gus) the recently developed yeast ear infection in both ears. I have had this rescure for 1.5 years and this is the first time he has developed an ear infection which I suspect this was from bathing. His diet has not changed since I adopted him. He is currently on Easotic for the infection. My vet suggested using Zymox Ear Cleanser and Enzymatic Ear Solution to help prevent furture infections. Has anyone used these products or have other suggestions on what I can do to keep Gus's ear healthy?

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Zymox worked well alongside antibiotic solution (don't remember the name) to finally clear up my dog's yeast infection. I'd tried a few rounds of meds in the months prior that looked to clear up the infection but it'd always come back shortly after stopping the meds. Using Zymox with the meds worked much better and he's been ear infection free since November.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
My dog has a tendency to have icky ears, but has had only one infection in conjunction with a more general upper respiratory infection. She was treated with Zymox Enzymatic Ear Solution (which seems to be different from the Zymox Ear Cleanser) and two rounds of oral antibiotics (Clavamox and Simplicef). Our vet recommended continued cleaning with the Zymox and Euclens on alternating weeks. She still gets some brown gunk, but much less than before and, so far, no infection.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My dog has a tendency to have icky ears, but has had only one infection in conjunction with a more general upper respiratory infection. She was treated with Zymox Enzymatic Ear Solution (which seems to be different from the Zymox Ear Cleanser) and two rounds of oral antibiotics (Clavamox and Simplicef). Our vet recommended continued cleaning with the Zymox and Euclens on alternating weeks. She still gets some brown gunk, but much less than before and, so far, no infection.
The Zymox Ear Cleanser is for use in a healthy ear. The Enzymatic Solution is for an infected ear. So you use the Zymox Enzymatic Solution and Euclens "cleanser?"

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
The Zymox Ear Cleanser is for use in a healthy ear. The Enzymatic Solution is for an infected ear. So you use the Zymox Enzymatic Solution and Euclens "cleanser?"
Yes, it's the Zymox Otic HC 1.0% Solution (4oz. bottle) and the Euclens Otic Cleanser (16oz. bottle). Our vet recommended this approach and it's worked well for us. (Sorry for the random web links - they were the only ones I could find with accurate pictures of the bottles.)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts