Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Kaki and Hugh get the zoomies all the time. However, Kaki won't zoomie inside when hugh goes nuts. Only when I let her off the leash and give her the release word.
We were alone at the DP a few days ago when a woman showed up with her BC pup. She said,"What is your dog chasing?". I had to explain zoomies to her.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Sometimes Roxxy gets the zoomies at the DP but not very often. Butch and Mort use to chase each other all of the house when Mort was little but not so much any more. Maybe since he lost weight they will start up again. Roxxy just likes to chase him because he will let her. She really likes to do it when I tell her to "git yer kitty" and they are both off. Sounds like a herd of ephalants when all three of them get going! :eek:

How can anyone not know what zoomies are. Laurelin talks about it all the time and her Paps REALLY get the zoomies. :D

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I dont think Ive ever had a dog that didnt get zoomies. Most of them mixed breeds in the 40-60lb range. Zoomies seem to be a nightly thing with Buster. When a Saint gets zoomies everyone gets out of his way!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
When a Saint gets zoomies everyone gets out of his way!
When my Dane would get the zoomies, she'd take a 100 yard (+) running start directly at you. At the last possible moment she'd veer of left or right, and ever so barely brush you as she went galloping by. Everything would be fine if you didn't try to guess which line she'd take, and try to side-step out of her way. That could get messy.

·
Registered
90 Posts
When Luna gets Zoomies, she will run into the fence. She always slows down and it seems as if she's bracing herself, and kind of turns her body to the side and side-slams it. She does it every time. LOL Goober. Maybe she likes the bouncy feeling?

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Buster usually gets going in the house...and its not a huge house to begin with. A typical night will involve him butt tucking around the living room, pouncing on the couch (and the lap of whoever is sitting there), sliding across the kitchen floor in an attempt to snag a toy or chewie and at least one collision with a wall (which never stops him).

We're talking 65lbs of puppy running crazy through the house. To add to the chaos, my girls rev him up further with their squeals as he runs by them. Other than the couch pouncing, he's only body slammed one person...my brother in law got in his way, Buster took it as a play invitation. He seems to know where the girls are (he outweighs 3 of them by 20-30lbs and weighs 10lbs less than the oldest), never hits them or knocks them over.

He has fun, we have fun watching him and it typically only lasts a few minutes...then he finds a toy and wants to play tug & fetch (each time we win, the toy is thrown for him to retrieve).

·
Registered
129 Posts
My parent's 2 year old SCWT gets the zoomies still - usually after a long outdoor romp (when you'd think she'd be tired) or after a bath. She'll run around the table, over the footstool and then stop in a crouch. She'll give you the crazy eye until you move toward her and then she'll go "wooo!" and start again. I love it, cracks me up.

Rufus is a 2 year old mutt and since I got him in Feb I've never ever seen him zoomie. When the SCWT gets going he just looks at her like "lady, you are out of your mind."

·
Registered
707 Posts
That is funny. One of the silliest things i have heard in a while! :D
My Boxer is most certainly not inbred and he zooms all over the yard. Our previous Boxer did as well. So does the Boston I dog sit for, my neighbor's Dachshund, and about every other dog I have met in my life!

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
That is funny. One of the silliest things i have heard in a while! :D
My Boxer is most certainly not inbred and he zooms all over the yard. Our previous Boxer did as well. So does the Boston I dog sit for, my neighbor's Dachshund, and about every other dog I have met in my life!
I agree K...when I first read this I thought...HUH, who thought this one up!? And zoomies don't mean just one dog...to me if they are playing chase and ZOOM by you, that's zoomies :D I love to watch it.

Hey, LMA, if you have a video camera you might want to let the rest of us watch you big goofy fluffy guy have the zoomies. I would almost pay to see that. 65# of puppy...WOW what a sight. :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
1. F.R.A.P.

Frenetic Random Activity Pattern. A behavior often exhibited by puppies or young dogs wherein the animal, without an apparent reason, suddenly runs at high speed, frantically darting in multiple directions then racing to a sudden stop. These episodes generally last 60-90 seconds at most. In general the puppy will appear very pleased with itself. May happen indoors or out.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I will try to get a video clip of the mass chaos. Not likely to happen tonight. My husband took our oldest to the latest Harry Potty movie and the little ones and I grabbed the pup and headed for the playground.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
1. F.R.A.P.

Frenetic Random Activity Pattern. A behavior often exhibited by puppies or young dogs wherein the animal, without an apparent reason, suddenly runs at high speed, frantically darting in multiple directions then racing to a sudden stop. These episodes generally last 60-90 seconds at most. In general the puppy will appear very pleased with itself. May happen indoors or out.
Great definition. But you forgot about the sudden stops that end in collision (with a wall, door, person or piece of furniture). And older dogs exhibit this behavior on occasion as well.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
Your dogs have never just got up and run for the sheer fun of running?
Mine do not do that too often either. Maybe a few times a month.

My little Doberman that I rescued walked into this house (or rather was carried in) terrified. The dogs went over and sniffed her, she all of a sudden knew she was in a safe spot and took off running like a loon all over the house. She even jumped up on the couch and ran across the backs of it. I stood in the middle of the room with my Rotties in shock. I am sure we all (the Rotties and I) had huge eyes as we watched this sudden release of energy.
That silly pup never did slow down. She was a bundle of energy and had to do the Zoomie thing about 10 times a day to settle herself. She was a great dog.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts