Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings~
I've just been introduced to the wonderful world of zoomies as I've taken custody of my sister's dog for a few monthes. When I explained the behaviour to one of my friends he mentioned it's a by product of inbreeding. Is this true?

It doesn't bother me either way, just curious.

·
Super Moderator
11,841 Posts
I've never heard that, and I've seen zoomies from everything form a 8-pound Shitzu to a 115-pound lab. (The latter is a get-outta-the-way zoomie.

I think it's related to exhuberance - not inbreeding.

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Dogs are made to run.....they run for the pure joy of it...they run to relieve stress. They practice darting, dashing, pouncing....all part of their heritage to hunt and survive.

·
Banned
1,765 Posts
Hah, I read the title as "Zombies related to inbreeding?" Oops :p.

I can't see how a behavior can be isolated to inbreeding.

zombies on the other hand..........:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The guy is famous for talking nonsense half the time so I didn't put much stock in it myself. Cheers for the responses~

And I've been making that mistake all day, zhaor =D

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The guy is famous for talking nonsense half the time so I didn't put much stock in it myself. Cheers for the responses~

And I've been making that mistake all day, zhaor =D
Yeah, I highly doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with inbreeding. Mesquite is a straight up mutt and gets the zoomies 2 or 3 times a week.

·
Registered
442 Posts
That's silly. My cats actually sometimes get zoomies and they're nothin' but good ol' alley cats! It's just to relieve energy, I think.

Ranger is a rat terrier and they are famous for their zoomies. RT people call them "rat runs" and it's a joy to see!

Mayzie, on the other hand, is a mutt...and she is just as susceptible to zoomies, if not more so.

So again...that's someone who's just talking to hear himself talk.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I'd say that's bunk.

Our dogs get zoomies and they aren't inbred. Can trace their lineage back a couple hundred years in most cases.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I don't think I've ever seen a healthy dog who didn't get the zoomies, at least once in a while. Our old terrier mix-mutt would get them into her 17th year. They didn't last long, and she'd get a look like "why the hell did I think that was a good idea?", but they can't help themselves sometimes.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
On a related note, when one dog gets the zoomies, does the whole pack get them for anyone else?

When mesquite gets the zoomies, Rocky will come from a dead sleep and be at 100% energy level instantly and chase her up and down the stairs biting her legs until they are both burnt out. And vice versa.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
On a related note, when one dog gets the zoomies, does the whole pack get them for anyone else?

When mesquite gets the zoomies, Rocky will come from a dead sleep and be at 100% energy level instantly and chase her up and down the stairs biting her legs until they are both burnt out. And vice versa.

absolutely positively YES!!!! At times even the cat joins in LOL.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
absolutely positively YES!!!! At times even the cat joins in LOL.
Hah! I really wish I could have a cat :( Rocky's prey drive has shown to be incredibly intense. He almost ate my fathers ferrets on several occasions. The last time, he got bloody gums trying to chew through their cage!

Do you think he might have a different response to a cat than a weasel? The scent is definitely different, plus they have claws. I've dreamed for a long time about getting a bengal!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I wouldn't chance it. At times Angels prey drive gets the better of her, right now she only 'herds' the cat and hasn't tried to harm him. I still watch them carefully though.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I wouldn't chance it. At times Angels prey drive gets the better of her, right now she only 'herds' the cat and hasn't tried to harm him. I still watch them carefully though.
That's how I've felt about it so far. Too much to chance. Especially when you're talking a bengal kitten that can cost a serious amount of dough.

I wish I knew someone with cats though, so I could spend some time working with him. I only visit my father a few times a year, which isn't near enough to get him socialized to little critters.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Yeah, I highly doubt it has anything whatsoever to do with inbreeding. Mesquite is a straight up mutt and gets the zoomies 2 or 3 times a week.
Only 2-3 times a week!?

Mine get the zoomies at least 4 times a day!

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Only 2-3 times a week!?

Mine get the zoomies at least 4 times a day!
At least it's just little ones then!

She gets a pretty large amount of exercise. Minimum 3 miles run in the morning, several walks and training. She normally gets the zoomies on days we miss something.

Oddly enough, for being the higher energy of the pair, Rocky gets the zoomies probably half as much as Mesquite.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
My dogs have never had the zoomies, and I can honistly say I've never seen any of my friends Aussies get the zoomies either.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
My Dachsund and cat get the Zoomies all the time. Usualy once in the morning after brakfast and right before it's time to go to bed. It's not so bad with McKenzie since his short stubby dachshund legs keep him on the ground, but the cat loves to fly off the couches and tries to go as far as he can without ever touching the ground.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Blaze gets them all the time, espeacially if you go to a "play bow" with him (I do it ont he stairs, sorta like Im crawling up them) makes him go crazy. Then Marley does the same, chasing him ever which way he goes, trying not to get run over lol

My dogs have never had the zoomies, and I can honistly say I've never seen any of my friends Aussies get the zoomies either.
Your dogs have never just got up and run for the sheer fun of running?
but the cat loves to fly off the couches and tries to go as far as he can without ever touching the ground.

That is SO marley. She will chase blaze by running on tables, chairs, ottomans, couchs ect so she oesnt get trampled by the 6 year old dog who still has a case of puppy legs that dont always do as he wants and he crashs in to somthing lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts