Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When going inside the house after walks my dog gets the zoomies. What could be the reason for this? I let her sniff outdoors but also does some training outside. Any theories about this?

·
Super Moderator
11,797 Posts
Dogs I've had that got the zoomies seem to be expressing joy and excitement. I viewed it as a positive thing and it was kind of fun to watch. Sometimes (okay, often) I would participate. By "participate" I mean initiate a kind of hide-and-seek.

One of those dogs would do that nearly very night at bed-time. It was hilarious to see. She is a miniature long-haired dachshund, so she could run under furniture. She runs like a ferret for just a minute or two and then she's ready to call it a day.

Another was our late miniature schnauzer, Zeke. If he happened to be outside when I'd return from some errands, he would tear through the doggy-door, announce my return, tear back out and circle me a few times. Then he'd repeat the whole process 3-4 times in the time it took me to walk the 30 feet to the house.

I would give anything to see that again.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
The excitement can be relief too. My dogs zoom after baths, I'm pretty sure they think they are going to melt when shampoo is applied and are ecstatic that they didn't.

I love zoomies unless they include knee slams. Others here get drive by mouthing which would be worse.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts