Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got Zoie the year we were married. She's 17 years old and my husband found a lump on her side yesterday. Today, the vet said it could be nothing, or it could be a cancer that will (or has) metastasize. So, we're taking her tomorrow to have it removed.

Her age complicates things, but he said they'd put her under, take it out and wake her up. There's probably 80-85% that she'll survive the surgery. But she's always been very healthy and kitten-like so we don't feel right just waiting to see if it spreads through her body.

I would really appreciate your thoughts and prayers for our little girl. Thanks. We're both very concerned and it's just so hard to know if we're doing the right thing, but since it was both of our gut feelings that we should get it removed, we're going to go ahead with it.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
I will definitely keep Zoie in my thoughts for her surgery. Please let us know how it goes when your able to...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zoie is home. :D She's a little unstable and disoriented, but she's fine. Her side is shaved and looks very strange, but she's good. :) She has stitches that have to come out in 2 weeks.

When they brought her out, she heard our voices and let out a big M-R-R-R-o-o-WWW! The tech said she hadn't even peeped before that. The vet wasn't there, so I didn't get to talk with him, but everything looks good at this point!

Thanks for the good vibes!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that she's doing well after surgery! I assume that they're going to test the lump they removed? Keep us updated, but for now, I'll send Zoie some good healing vibes! :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We decided not to have the lump tested because all it would tell us is whether or not it was cancerous. The vet got good margins on it, so we didn't see any reason to get further testing. If it's benign, then we're fine. If it's cancer, then it either has already metastasized or it hasn't. The test wouldn't tell us anything about that. And if it has metastasized, we're not going to do any chemo or radiation because she's just too fragile to have that particular war going on inside her body at 17 years old.

She ate well this morning and was her normal cantankerous self when we were 2 minutes late in feeding her.

Thanks for all the good thoughts!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She gets meds every 12 hours and she's doing SO well. She's being a sweetie, which, after 17 years, I wasn't aware she knew anything about. :-D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts