Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We dropped by a speciality store and they had ZiwiPeak. I was looking around and the store manager insisted I try it,I declined because of the price OUCH. But they kept on and I ended up with a free trail size bag that was suppose to be over $8. I got it home and opened it up and was shocked. The smell was quite different almost like shrimp. And the shape that was the biggest shock those flat little squares. I am going to see how my dog likes it but it probably will only be bought on special occasions for treats maybe.
I was wondering how many here have tried it?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Ziwipeak is a great food and we use it as part of our morning meals as well as treats. It's great because it doesn't contain any fillers it's just meat and organs and they have venison, venison and fish and lamb flavors. I have only tried the venison but my dogs go nuts for it - I think it smells pretty tasty too lol. It is very pricey though - I always purchase online where I get the 2.2lb bags for $21.99. You also feed A LOT less than dry food so it lasts longer. It's nice to have on hand as well when I don't have time to make their THK or thaw out a raw meal. The only reason why I can afford it as part of my diet is because my dogs are small though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, Kiba gets fed ZiwiPeak. He abolutely loves it and does excellent on it.
I couldn't see feeding it with a larger dog unless you were wealthy.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I don't doubt that it is superior food. However it is quite shocking to see if your not expecting it. My cat thought that the food was for them when I opened the bag.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
cant afford to try it lol but I have seen it plenty working in a kennel, almost entirly tiny dogs that eat it, the price is out of this world lol but I do know a few large dogs that eat it, 2 daycare dogs, an Am. Bulldog and a Shepherd X, they eat raw but Ziwi peak is one of only 2 "processed" foods that go near the dogs the other being Canisource. the other is an Alaskan Malamute who eats a steady diet of Ziwipeak, the smallest bag here is $30..I cannot even imagine what they must be paying to feed that dog!!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Holy Batman those people feeding the large dogs Ziwi must have a loaded wallet. I understand they eat less than they would on cheap food but here the 8oz bag was $8 which I could never afford but the pieces are perfect for training treats. I could see it with the tiny dogs especially those "teacup" size dogs.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Just looked it up. I have two small dogs, and there is no way I would pay that much for food. It's like 5 times more expensive than Canidae, which is also great quality food. Rip off.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
is it a kibble, frozen raw or something you rehydrate?
They call it raw without the thaw. It is a total dog food it has meat,organ,vitamins,etc. It looks nothing like kibble it is a little flat square that is a brown color. From what I gather it is the next best thing to raw. The ratings on it are off the chart, I don't think there is a kibble on the market that would beat it. You feed a fraction of the amount of traditional kibble, according to the bag a 22lb size dog only needs 3oz of the food daily.

Would I call it a rip off,doubt it. This would be the perfect food for someone that really wanted to feed raw but was worried about getting it wrong. Is it expensive,YES and thats why I could never feed it solely because I have big dogs. But if someone has a small dog to me it is the way to go. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yes I definitely would not call it a rip off and it really can't be compared to dry food. Here are the ingredients for the one I feed:
INGREDIENTS: Venison - Meat (min. 65%), Liver, Tripe, Heart and Kidney (min. 19.5%), Chicory Inulin, Green-lipped Mussel (min. 4%), Fish Oil, Lecithin, Kelp, Vitamins and Minerals, Parsley, Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, additives: Vit. D3 592 IU/kg, Vit. E 7.4mg/kg, Copper (copper proteinate) 9.8mg/kg. Calories 1794 KJ/100g.

It does not contain any fillers that dry food does and it resembles a raw diet. I do agree that it's very expensive though that is why I only use is as part of their diet. If I was to only feed my dog's Ziwipeak - 11lbs and 14 lbs I would need 2 of the 2.2lbs per month (a little less) so it would cost me $44 which is still not that bad. You really do feed a tiny amount of it. My dog is also allergic to every type of kibble out there so it's great for dogs that have special needs like mine.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
Would I call it a rip off,doubt it. This would be the perfect food for someone that really wanted to feed raw but was worried about getting it wrong. Is it expensive,YES and thats why I could never feed it solely because I have big dogs. But if someone has a small dog to me it is the way to go. But thats just my opinion.
this is why I'm feeding NV frozen raw along with Instinct LID to one of mine.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
this is why I'm feeding NV frozen raw along with Instinct LID to one of mine.
o
It would be interesting to see what the price difference would be for you. Your buying 2 products now,I wonder if it would be cheaper to just buy one. I also was worried about getting the raw diet correct and when I tried some chicken and my guy wouldnt eat it I just went back to what I was doing. The vet said today he wonders if there has been some change in the way his current food was made and that may have caused him some issues. Hot spots he said were something that lots of dogs in the south have and told me about some stuff that I could try. I told him I have switched to Orijen he said he felt that was a quality food though it isn't for all dogs but if my dog did well on it then there was no reason not to feed it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Orijen is a great food - I personally haven't tried it because it has way too many protein sources for my allergic boy. I have tried the Acana which is more limited but my chi just itches on every single kibble we ever try to add. A lot of time hot spots are caused by allergies - can be food or environmental or both (mine has both). I would try a food with a different protein source than what you are feeding and more limited as well - that is the best way to figure out food allergies. Some good ones Nature's Variety Instint, TOTW - the 2 non-chicken formulas, or even Orijen fish, or the Acana fish or lamb.
It's nice that your vet didn't try to push Science Diet on your right away :) That's what I've gotten at every vet and dermatologist appointment. I finally found a local holistic vet which actually promotes raw - I was shocked lol. He's a keeper :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
InkedMarie - if you have a Pet Supplies Plus in the area all the NV raw is on sale right now in NY so maybe by you too since they are a chain. I got the chicken 3lb medallions for $10, bison and venison 3lb medallions for $14 :)

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been feeding TOTW Pacific Stream for 2yrs now and I love the food. My vet and myself aren't totally sure what is causing the skin issue at this current time as he hasn't had trouble in years. I am trying Orijen and hoping that I can go back to TOTW before to long,maybe his system just needed a break. Today I noticed a little less itching not a major change but it was something I noticed.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Maybe you can try adding some additional salmon oil to his food. I also use some Honest Kitchen supplements - one of them is Sparkle which is for skin and have had good results. A lot of people say it helps their pups with skin issues. I know this has been a horrible season for allergies as well so maybe that's it too :(

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I haven't tried that type of Salmon oil. Though I tried some when he first started with the skin at 6months and it really didn't agree with him,maybe it was to much for a pup I don't know but thats when I found TOTW and I have had such great results I hate to change him but maybe a change would do him good for a short time and try going back later. Orijen will probably be what I go with but I may also add a little Ziwi to his food as well.

·
Registered
5,924 Posts
o
It would be interesting to see what the price difference would be for you. Your buying 2 products now,I wonder if it would be cheaper to just buy one. I also was worried about getting the raw diet correct and when I tried some chicken and my guy wouldnt eat it I just went back to what I was doing. The vet said today he wonders if there has been some change in the way his current food was made and that may have caused him some issues. Hot spots he said were something that lots of dogs in the south have and told me about some stuff that I could try. I told him I have switched to Orijen he said he felt that was a quality food though it isn't for all dogs but if my dog did well on it then there was no reason not to feed it.
I paid $32 for a 12ct of the NV frozen burgers. For my dog to be on this only, I would need 28 burgers per month which would run me about $64 for 24 burgers, not quite enough so I'd have to buy 3 packs that first month. if I fed beef, lamb and bison, it's a buck or so cheaper, rabbit a few bucks more expensive. It's something I may do at some time, I'm trying to get him on a wider variety and not just kibble!

InkedMarie - if you have a Pet Supplies Plus in the area all the NV raw is on sale right now in NY so maybe by you too since they are a chain. I got the chicken 3lb medallions for $10, bison and venison 3lb medallions for $14 :)
I'm in NH and no Pet Supplies Plus, just Pet Co and Pet Smart for larger chains but thanks for telling me!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
InkedMarie,
It almost seems that you could feed ZiwiPeak cheaper than what your feeding now. I think Tinytail posted she is feeding 2 dogs that equal a 25lb dog and she is only paying $44 per month for food which is actually less than what your paying now. So it might be worth looking into. I like NV products but when it comes to how much of X and Y are in each medallion you don't know what your actually feeding,since they don't tell you the percentage of stuff,which from what was explained to me could cause your dog to lack something in their diet.Maybe thats why your doing the kibble as well,I don't know but its something to ponder.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I actually only feed Ziwi as part of their diet but if I was to feed it as full diet it would cost me about $44/month. I like to give my pups a variety so I feed them a small medallion each of NV in the morning, or Ziwipeak if I don't have it thawed. Then I also use the Ziwi as treats during the day since the pups come to work with me. At dinner they get THK which I like to use so I can easily add their daily powder and liquid supplements :) I make sure to feed them half of their portion in the am to leave room for the daily ziwipeak they get through the day (I'm the process of switching from NV to Primal after these bags are used up since I have learned that they use denaturant in their meats - which I read means the meat is not human grade). I would definitely stay away from the NV rabbit formulas since they source their rabbit from China. Some people might think I'm crazy for not just using one food lol but I wouldn't want to eat the same thing everyday either. I think they benefit from having different foods in their diet.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts