Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here's my story:

My 3 daughters have been bugging me to get a dog for over 2 years. I kept saying no because our apartment was too small. I've had a dogs for 34 of my 39 years on this earth so it's not that I don't like dogs. Just the opposite, I'm a huge dog lover which is why I said no to getting a dog. With (at the time) 1, 4, and 8 year old kids we really didn't have the time to give a dog the attention and care that it needs, and quite honestly, I wasn't willing to do it all myself (i know the parents are with me on this). We had a small, shared yard so anything we did with a dog would have been such a chore due to limited time and space that the fun of owning a dog would have been lost and the pooch would have been miserable. But the girls were persistent. I told them that there was no way we could get a dog because we didn't own the house and the land lord didn't approve. This bought me some time but we were shopping for a house. About 9 months later, when we moved into our house, on the way there for the first time with all of our furniture there, my 4 year old says, "Does this mean we can get a dog now?" I fought the battle for another year and finally my wife said to me,"Why don't we get a dog. I'll help out."

Hmmmmmmmmmm........ This could work out, but I had to play it cool. I said,"I don't know. You have no idea how much work a dog is and it's all gonna fall on me." She told me to think about it, and this bought me some more time .... to come up with a plan to get the dog of my choice - one that was right for our life style, living conditions, and above all, a dog that I want because the reality is no matter what they tell me, when it's raining or snowing, or there's a new "Hannah Montana" on, or the dog is a dog and not a little puppy any more, it will wind up being my dog.

I started looking at dogs that were good with kids and I saw a lot of bulldogs. Well, this is a "guy's" dog, and I'm not much of one for little fluffy dogs (not that there's a problem with them, I love all dogs - they're just not for me.). So I told my wife what I was planning and showed her what I found on-line about their temperament and the health of the Olde English Bulldogges and started looking for breeders. We told the girls that maybe we could get one in the summer.

When I found the dog that I wanted, I told my 2 oldest girls that I had to go help someone from work with their computer and told them that I needed them to come with me. All the way there they kept asking if we could stop at a pet store to look at puppies on the way home. When we got there we were greeted by Madison, Zeus' mom. My girls were amazed that we went to fix someone's computer and they had the same type of dog that we had talked about getting. Just then, they came out carrying Zeus and asked my oldest if she'd like to hold him. Can you say Cool-Aid smile?! So I watched my girls playing with this puppy while I took care of the business end of things. When that was out of the way I told the girls we were ready to go, so they gave him one last scratch-n-rub and said bye-bye. As they stepped towards the door I scooped him up and walked out behind them. They didn't even realize what had happened until we were outside and they turned around to ask if we still had time to stop at a pet store to look at puppies.

This is Zeus. He's an Olde English Bulldogge and he's too much for words - if you have experience with OEB's you know what I mean (LOL!).

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad you liked the story, I love telling it. He's 16 weeks old now and he's doubled in size over the past 5 1/2 weeks. The bottom picture is the most recent (sad to say) at 12 weeks but we're supposed to have some nice weather on Sunday, should be a nice day to go for a walk in the woods, so I'll update this post.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Zeus update:

he's 5 months old, steadily putting on 3 pounds a week (50 pounds now!). here are a few updated pics of my girls and my boy ....

yes, he IS a tank! this dog has won my heart over time after time, more or less on a daily basis. we've only had him for less than 3 months but i can't imagine being without him. my wife and 3 daughters love him so and he has made our new house a home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts