Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all,

I'm a longtime lurker and infrequent poster.

My wife and I are in Wisconsin and we've been approved to adopt an addition to our pack.

We'll be calling him Jackson and know virtually nothing about him. We DO know that he's coming from a high-kill shelter, in Mississippi, and we'll be united on 7/13.

The shelters are calling him "Irish Setter x Spaniel", but I'm not seeing it.

I see Golden or Duck Tolling Retriever...white paws and white chest blaze for the Toller...but who knows.

I'll be appreciative of any other observations and guesses. We WILL be doing the DNA testing, so we'll get scientific answers.

What do YOU see in Jackson? Jackson standing.jpg Jackson sitting.jpg

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Hello and welcome! It is wonderful that you are rescuing. :) Thank you! And ... I am sure we will be expecting more pics when Jackson comes home and is all settled in!

It is hard to say when guessing mixes ... could be Golden/Irish/Spaniel ... all combined. Whatever the mix ... Jackson is very handsome.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I live down south, neither tollers or Irish setters are common. Goldens abound, and maybe spaniel, like brittney? How much does he weigh? Have any pics of his face?

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Good job to you and your wife for rescuing Jackson! He's very handsome; to me he looks Golden/Irish Setter cross. I really don't see spaniel or toller in him. If he is small, maybe....Tollers are the smallest of the retrievers.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all,

The moment we have more information...my wife is already lovingly referring to Jackson as our "pig in a poke"...I will post.

Truthfully, with the two photos, and the info I've given, you have as much information as his new mom and dad.

We are good folks, so we're confident that our leap of faith will be rewarded.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Jackson PF Photo.jpg Jackson in Tenn Cuteness.jpg Jackson in Tenn head on.jpg Jackson in Tenn Smiling.jpg All,

While we have STILL not met our new boy (that happens in four days) we DO have more photos.

Independent from my original guess, the rescue has suggested Toller as a breed guess.

Personally, I really see it, but remain interested in others' opinions.

Three more views of Jackson:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to resurrect this zombie, but I would like to give the forum feedback.

This post was about breed/mix speculation, based on the photos.
DNA results reflect that Jackson is a mix of terriers and hounds...Redbone and Catahoula Leopard.

I still see Toller, but he "tells" me "hound" whenever he gets into full voice.

Also, I sought advice about rescuing and about introductions to the "incumbent" dog. I want to thank the forum for all of that.

Jackson has not been without his health (kennel cough and tapeworms) and temperment (nervousness and leash frustration) issues but on-par he is a very good boy.

There is NO doubt that he is a very sweet, and in my eyes handsome, boy.

Thank you for your insights and support.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I'd put zero stock into the DNA tests. I just made a thread about it, but my obvious Shepherd mix came back as a Foxhound/Springer mix with some rarer breeds mixed in. Not a chance!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I was actually guessing a good deal of hound, without knowing about his baying.

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
Love the pics... can't believe I missed this thread...

While I don't know what Jackson's breed is...
I can tell you what dog he'll hopfully be...

A well-loved happi dog????

P1000101.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts