Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just need to vent about this, have you guys/ladies ever encountered this type of situation??

I'm so irritated. I brought Mia to the vet a couple weeks ago. She is a 75lb pit-mastiff and the most lovable dogs. So we get there, walk in and sit in the waiting room. She sits right next to me, doesn't budge at all. People walk in with their dogs and cats. Mia just popped her her around to see what came in, sat back down and ignored them. Finally my vet calls me in and says "Why don't we bring her in through the back hallway!" I asked why (the exam room was maybe 25 feet from where we were, but the back hall door was next to us) She pops of with "We don't know what she might do if she sees the other animals." I wanted to yell at her. Did she not see her sitting and doing nothing with the other animals?!

Then a few days later I brought Bear in. He is a 35lb spaniel mix of some sorts. He wouldn't sit, he was trying to get in everybody's business, well sniff their butts. The vet calls us in and I asked "Do you want me to bring him through the back hall?" She gives me a dumb look and asked "Why would we have you do that?" I just responded with "You made me go that way with my pit a few days ago." She just looked at my dumbfounded.

Brought us in the room though the main hall, then starts going off on the collars I use for him. (I use the metal pinch collars). She tells me that it is wrong to use them and that I NEED to use some nylon halter. My dogs don't pull when walking anymore, they don't leave my side, but I use them just in case. (Please don't bash me for using them) I questioned her on why she didn't say anything about the same collar on Mia, and she said "Well, she is a larger dog and may snap and you need to have control over her" So smaller dogs never need control right?!

Needless to say I'm on the hunt for a new vet.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I have nothing against pinch collars, in fact, it saved my life. I used pinch collars with my two boys, I am hoping I will never have to use one on our little girl. But you are right, its time to find a new vet.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Yup, definitely time for a new vet. That's just ridiculous. I see nothing wrong with using prong collars as long as they're being used correctly. They work really well when being used right.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Get a new vet if it makes you happy.

I choose a vet on how well I think they diagnose and care for my dog, not what the techs think or do.

I'm sure they hear a lot of folks with big dogs that would eat a cat or little dog and they say their dog is friendly too. From their perspective it's probably better safe than sorry.

As well people with cats and little dogs are also paying customers, and whether it makes any sense or not they could also lose customers because they are afraid to bring their little dogs or cat around a large dog.

I wouldn't make much of it, but then my vet doesn't seem to do that. Though I do wonder if all the treats they give my GSD aren't partly to make sure she always likes them out of a little fear she could get aggressive at some point. I think it's just that they want to make the vets a good experience for any dog though.

Who knows, I would probably just ignore it personally, I look for a vet that does a good job as a doctor for my pet, and takes time to explain things to me thoroughly and describe possible options or alternatives for care, side effects etc..

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Needless to say I'm on the hunt for a new vet.
Good. I just love how my vet is not at all afraid of Jaia. So many people are and it's refreshing to have him accept Jaia with open arms.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
My vet actually has a Pit of her own, so I don't think it would ever be a problem for her.

·
Registered
968 Posts
If someone is going to be poking and prodding at my dog, I want them to like my dog and I want my dog to like them. It's very important to me how we are treated and that's the reason I found a new vet. At the old vet, I liked the actual vet guy but the techs we're just so rude and inconsiderate that I couldn't take him there anymore. I LOVE our new vet. We've been going there for about 6 months now and he'll sit on the floor and play with my dog as well as thoroughly explain things to me and I think he's very good with making the animals and the owners feel comfortable.

To the OP, if I were in your situation, I would be pissed too. Especially the fact that it was the VET that was saying those things to you about the collar and walking down the back hallway.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would find a new vet personally. To me it's all encompassing... you need to be comfortable with not only the vet but the techs as well. A lot of the time, you will be dealing with techs. I think it should be on a case by case basis on how they treat a dog and NOT because it's a large dog.

I had a vet tech that muzzled my pure bred GSD out of the blue for a routine check-up. We had been there many times, they knew us by name and yet this one time they decided to muzzle her. She had never been aggressive or so much as even flinched when they had done all the previous work on her. Why now?... they couldn't give me a reason other than because she was a GSD. I found a new vet. I was not happy. I could have totally understood if she was an unknown and was showing signs of stress. She wasn't. She was happy and trying to lick the tech that was muzzling her.

You need to be comfortable.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Private practice = vet's rules reign. If you don't like their rules, yup, find another vet. However, I don't have any issue with a vet taking whatever precautions they deem necessary, to protect themselves or their employees. Sure, we want our vets/vet techs to tolerate our dogs, but guess what? We also need to train out dogs, and maybe even ourselves, to tolerate vets/vet techs. Think habituate your dog to being touched and physically manipulated. Think habituate your dog to being muzzled, poked, and prodded.

It would also probably be a good idea that if you don't want snide comments, don't question your vet's rules or give them a reason to comment. It would also probably be a good idea to think of what your vet needs when examining your dog. A clunky pinch collar that would need to be worked around is likely not a good item to have on your dog at the time of visit. I'm not say'n, but I'm just say'n.

Yes, you need to be comfortable at the vet, and IMO the best way to do that is to be confident that you've prepared your dog to visit a vet.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm going to take the vet's side on this one. One of my friends is a vet and is a part owner of her practice. She sees thousands of dogs a year. She has to worry about insurance for her business and the safety of her clients. She has been bitten and knows which dogs and what dogs are capable of. She's told me there are certain breeds she is highly wary of(not pits!) seeing. I can't blame her since she's the one who has seen thousands of dogs over her career and I trust her insight. She has a family to feed and a business to protect - I'm sure all business owners would do the same. Did you know that many groomers will not groom certain breeds? So it's not just vets.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
When My vet was moving to a new location, I thought I might just get a different vet because of the convenience of location. I toured a few and went to a few offices. I then decided on a certain clinic and took one of my females in for some shots. I figured it was a nice intro of the vet for my dog. Simple, in and out operation. When I got there the office people were wonderful. They came out and gave my dog a treat, asked her to show off her tricks and just had a wonderful time. Then when we went into the exam room the vet came in stood on the opposite side of the counter as us and went through some general health questions. I didn't think anything of it until he said the tech would be in to muzzle her in a second. I laughed a little and said "I think you grabbed the wrong chart, this dog is just here for shots" He said he had a friend that had gotten bit by a Rottweiler and he wasn't willing to take a chance. I kindly explained to him that my dog was a registered therapy dog, a titled obedience dog and most importantly my best buddy. I thanked him for his time and told him, it would be worth it to me to drive to my other vet. We all have to do what is best for us. For him, it was best to loose a customer for his comfort level. For me, it was best to drive further to a vet I trust completely and is GREAT with my dogs. :)

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
When My vet was moving to a new location, I thought I might just get a different vet because of the convenience of location. I toured a few and went to a few offices. I then decided on a certain clinic and took one of my females in for some shots. I figured it was a nice intro of the vet for my dog. Simple, in and out operation. When I got there the office people were wonderful. They came out and gave my dog a treat, asked her to show off her tricks and just had a wonderful time. Then when we went into the exam room the vet came in stood on the opposite side of the counter as us and went through some general health questions. I didn't think anything of it until he said the tech would be in to muzzle her in a second. I laughed a little and said "I think you grabbed the wrong chart, this dog is just here for shots" He said he had a friend that had gotten bit by a Rottweiler and he wasn't willing to take a chance. I kindly explained to him that my dog was a registered therapy dog, a titled obedience dog and most importantly my best buddy. I thanked him for his time and told him, it would be worth it to me to drive to my other vet. We all have to do what is best for us. For him, it was best to loose a customer for his comfort level. For me, it was best to drive further to a vet I trust completely and is GREAT with my dogs. :)
Yes! Which I why I found another vet as well! :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
When our old old vet retired we when to a vet that he suggested. Well we walk in with Lady and the vet techs and the vet both walked in and walked out came back with a muzzle. Lady loves people. So we asked why and he said he muzzles every dog over 40lbs. Well we also thanked him and walked out. Our new vet we saw first with one of our ferrets and made the apointment for Lady we asked if he muzzles the dogs and his reply was only if they show signs of agression or if he is doing something that he thinks might set of the dog. In all of our time of taking all 3 of the dogs they have never been muzzled. I have no problems with muzzleing but only if there is a reason.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
When I moved to a new town and worked in a store with a vet office, I naturally just went there. We always had a fine experience until we ended up with the male doctor. During an appointment where Jack had an allergic reaction to flea medication, he vomited on the floor. When he walked back to sniff it, the vet KICKED him away. I'm not talking used his foot to block him or push him, he kicked him. I asked him to leave the room before I had to be physically restrained, we complained to my managers who did nothing but refund the service, and we never brought our dogs there again. Later the girls I work with finally decide to tell me the guy didn't get into medical school and actually doesn't like animals by his own admission. He'd only take dogs, and only if they weren't pits or GSDs.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hey I am with you. People need to respect pitbulls and *bully* breeds. I love them it's just most of them are too big for my life style. I am on search for a new vet too because I schedualed a surgary for my dog and when I got there he said "Sorry I can't do the sugery nor can I give you your money back, again sorry." Now I go to this one guy who barley speaks english but at least he won't screw up my dog!

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
The last time I took both girls to the vet (Molly first, to get the vet warmed up a bit, and then Esther) they had me bring Esther in and out through a back door.

I gave them credit for some good judgment. I didn't want one of those Shih Tzus in the waiting room going after my poor hound.

I was pleased that both girls behaved in the examing room but, in the waiting room, all bets are off.

Oddly, we've never had to wait long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts