Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
........he's most likely part Great Dane! Which is good because my husband and I were starting to wonder of sloth was a canine breed :)

We adopted a lab mix puppy almost 3 weeks ago. He's been the PERFECT puppy. He's also been oddly docile and quiet for a lab mix. One hour of play time in the morning tuckers him out for the rest of the day.

The shelter we adopted him from gave his adult weight at 50-60 pounds. He's about 17 weeks and already weighs 30 pounds. Yikes! Our vet estimated his final weight at approx 90 pounds! He's very lean and tall.

I've been doing some reading on large breeds and Great Danes. Any advice would be appreciated. We're a very active, young family. I don't want to over do it if my dog is not naturally inclined to be active.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I think he looks like a black Lab. At about 5 mos, a pup is about 50% of full adult weight, so I vote more for 75 Lbs, rather than 90 lb.

I agree that a typical Lab is not quiet, but some individuals....

·
Registered
894 Posts
My little black lab (i dont know if shes pure) is super quiet. Likes to play, but other than that, just sleeping or laying down. She's about 7 month now.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
yeah, I also doubt Dane is in him. I don't know who came up with this "danes are lazy" crap, but it's very untrue.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
His paws don't look quite big enough to have any Dane in him... he's definitely super cute though! :)

We own 2 Danes - one is your standard couch potato... the other, I think she has border collie in her! :doh:

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Vets don't know that much about the specifics of breeds... A vet told me I was asking for a lot of vet bills by getting a belgian, he had no idea what he was talking about.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
ya vets have no training whatsoever on breeds, they are trained in medicine, they are no more breed savvy then joe shmo off the street if anything less so, I had a vet tell me my BC X Sheltie was a Cocker Spanial! yet even random person off the street who ever saw her said "BC Mix? and "Sheltie Mix" lol. also like someone else mentioned, typically at 4 months dogs will double their weight, so if your fella is 30lbs at 17 weeks he will be around 60lbs full grown. my Heeler X GSD girlie was 34lbs at 4 months, she is just shy of a year and about 50lbs now, she still have another year or 2 to fill out, but will likley only be 55-60lbs tops.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts