Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I never heard of it until today. I am very interested in what some of you experienced dog owners/trainers have to say about this method of training.

Here is a brief description of what it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clicker_training

PS: Do they wear out quickly or something as I see them for sell from a small pack of 3, a large pack of 60 and clear up to 1000 clickers.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
It's just a method of marking the behavior you want the dog to do. Because you click right at the time the dog does it, it's more clear to the dog exactly which behavior is being rewarded. You don't NEED a clicker, you could just use a marker word (like "yes" or "good"). . .some people find a clicker easier and some people find a verbal marker easier. Up to you.

I suspect they sell clickers in bulk because training classes buy a lot of them. And some people lose things :p. I don't think they break very often.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I started using a clicker the day I got my dog. Over three years later, I still find it to be an invaluable tool when teaching a new behavior. It is especially useful for shaping and/or capturing new behaviors.

Marker words are fine, but I find that they are less consistent in timing and pitch than a clicker. Some people argue that a click is more easily interpreted by an animal, too, as different words have different meanings ("good" vs. "bad"), so the dog has to decipher the meaning to know if he's done right.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Clicker training rocks! You can use a marker word, but the clicker - being a unique sound that is paired with food - is processed quicker. There's some speculation that it is processed quicker and more lastingly because it goes through the more primative part of the brain. Jaak Panksepp feels it is processed through the hippocampus and related to the SEEKING system http://ehard.wordpress.com/2010/07/24/happiness-a-theory-jaak-panksepp-and-the-seeking-system/ If so, it explains a lot about why clickers are the tool of choice when shaping new behaviors.
The bulk clicker packages are for instructors who provide them to students.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Clicker training is scientifically sound as far as learning theory goes, I don't think I know any trainer who doesn't use some form of marker these days. That includes trainers I know that are quite heavy handed with leash corrections. Marker training is a must for any advanced training.

It's pretty much proven itself, if you google it or do a search on youtube you will find thousands of videoes of clicker trained dogs, and as you can see, it works. If it works, there can't be anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Clicker training is great. I've had my clicker for 11 years, and it works fine. However, like all training, it requires good timing. I recommend that you attend at least one class to observe, and then find a good instructor to teach you. The advanced clicker trainers are amazing.

However, if you really want a testimonial, search for Wally and KBLover. I think that KBLover is humble in training, but Wally has learned to do amazing things, based on KBlover's use of clicker training...

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Love it! Clicker training really moved my training from "eh, good enough" to "is there anything you can't do, dog?"

People say you can use a market word, but the secret to the clicker is consistency. I don't know about you, but my voice is different first thing in morning, midday, late at night, with a cold, and I talk differently if I'm tired, excited, happy, sad, etc. the clicker cuts all that out and provides a quick, consistent marker every single time.

They sell by the thousand because trainers give them away. I'd suggest buying 5 or 6. I keep one in the living room, kitchen, bedroom, in my purse and a spare so I always have one handy.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I use a clicker for one of my dogs and a marker word ("Yes!") for the other. I just never bothered to condition the click for SiSi because we haven't done anything with a window too small for a click. I also think our clicker is a bit loud for her and I'm too lazy to buy another one. Neeka knows exactly what the clicker is about, though. It was a godsend for her because she's just so fast and such a busy-body that she does 10 different things in a second and I need to be super specific about what I'm marking. My big reason for using a clicker is that I have a better response time doing a movement (a click) than saying a word.

Personally, I don't think the consistency of the click really makes a difference. I think dogs are smart enough to know that a similar short word always means the same thing, especially if it's a praise word said in a happy tone. A high-pitched, short "Yes!" always sounds pretty much the same. My clicker even has some variation between clicks based on how fast you press it.

PS. If you search for clicker training on the forums, you'll pretty much find this forum's view on clicker training. We've discussed this so much.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Before there where Clickers...
I trained my dogs with a Tuba..
It aint easy walking a dog carrying a Tuba and a Pooper Scooper....

·
Banned
78 Posts
I think clicker training is a great leap forward in providing a effective training method for novices. Its simple, you only have to look at the heaps of videos on Youtube by 8 yrs olds clicker training their dogs to realise, at last, a method that most people can understand and apply.

Personally, i use "yes" as a marker.

I have a working GSD, and have used training in drive (similar to clicker) but uses negative and positive re-inforcement. Whereas clicker is generally postive only. For working dogs, you need both IMO.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I loved the Getting Started: Clicker Training for Dogs book by Karen Pryor, it really explains why using the clicker works faster than using rewards alone. I got a pack of 8 clickers, they don't wear out but I have one attached to the leash, one in the kitchen, one in my treat bag and others in the pockets of every coat I own!

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hardy har har......thanks for the laugh!!!!!

Before there where Clickers...
I trained my dogs with a Tuba..
It aint easy walking a dog carrying a Tuba and a Pooper Scooper....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts