Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, yesterday I took Donatello for a check-up, somewhat overdue...

I was recommended to a place from a guy at the dog-park... (I get all my information from those people! lol!) Anyway, it's a little hole-in-the-wall business. First come, first serve... There are only two doctors that are in only three hours a day.

Well, yesterday at 2:30 I pulled in the parking lot waiting for 3:00 so they'd re-open their doors. I was second in line, luckily.

I told two guys, that I wanted a check-up and to have Donatello tested for heartworms.

Well... I'm not an expert but I believe they didn't even give him a check-up! I went in the back with them, they asked me if he was neutered, I said "yes", then showed them the paperwork proving he's had all his shots... Then they just drew his blood, and I carried him to the scales... (HE WEIGHS 20 POUNDS!) lol! He hardly eats but he's still a little porker. : P lol!

Anyway... Donatello tested negative for heartworms, thankfully, and we got him started on preventative... A six month supply was only $19.99 from them! I thought that was a good deal... Their check-ups are free of charge, and the doctor that saw Donatello charges $40.00 to test for heartworms.

Now, my concern is... I think that the doctors and orderlies are in such a rush to see as many people as they can that they overlooked the fact I wanted him to get a check-up. All they did was weigh him, and draw his blood... Weighing him isn't all they do for a check-up is it?

I was so impressed with the price, but in this case I think you "get what you pay for"... They were in such a rush to rush me out of there... I was only there (20 minutes)...

Should I find another vet? Or could they have just not paid attention to my request?

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Cherokee get a thorough looking over by our vet. They look in his ears and eyes and check his teeth. They also listen to his heart and feel all over to check for whatever, I don't know. I would say you got what you paid for, but I wouldn't use that one as my regular vet. I think you need your vet to have a hands-on relationship with Donatello so you can trust them if you should ever need help when he is sick.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Atka just had her check up which included Fecal run, HW test, temperature, pulse and respiration checked, capillary refill time, teeth looked at, heart and lungs listened to, gut palpated for liver, kidneys etc., and range of motion on all her joints. Eyes and ears were also checked. Exam took about 20 minutes. Exam was $38 and tests extra.

She also was vaccinated and now is good until her next Rabies Vac. (two years) but still has to get her Lyme vaccination annually.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The list of what you all have said your vet does is what I've been told when they give a check-up...

I'm going to call tomorrow, and complain, so to speak... It's not like I paid for the check-up, so all they're going to tell me to do is come back in, but I want them to realize that I'm unhappy that I was rushed out of there...

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
If you didn't feel a connection, i wouldn't bother. I like my vet to pretend he at least cares. If I was in your shoes and i felt as though i was being rushed out the door, I don't think i would go back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts