Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
81 - 100 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
My next dog will be another herding type dog as I miss having them around. It depends mostly on the lines and the timing and my situation at the time. Border collie, sheltie, or Aussie are the three I am tossing around. Sheltie if I need to get another smaller/easier dog and because they are the familiar breed to me. The only way I'd get a sheltie over the other two is if I do really NEED to get a small dog due to living situations. Border collie is what I really want and I have a breeder list already picked out. I don't think shelties fit me as well as BCs and Aussies and there's things I'd like to do that having a bigger dog would be beneficial. I've been pining for a BC for years but will not get one unless I am certain I am in a place to handle one. Aussie is one I've thought about then decided they weren't for me then recently decided I do like the smaller working type dogs. I'm still not quite as sold on them but I do really like them. Playing with an 11 week old Aussie pup all last week didn't help much either.

I still have at least 2 years to wait out though, unfortunately. I'm saving up for a house right now.
You know Laur in 2+ years I will mail you an Aussie puppy in a box addressed "To: Mia"

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
You know Laur in 2+ years I will mail you an Aussie puppy in a box addressed "To: Mia"
Haha mia will be so unhappy when I finally do get another dog. She's such a spoiled brat and so used to being the babydog.

Mia wants a cat now though. I am telling her tough luck on that one.

·
Registered
26 Posts
As someone else said, I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking about my next dog. My husband tells our current dog I'm already looking for her replacement. As if!

I would like a GSD or a Doberman. I had an amazing GSD but the shedding drove me bananas. I'm looking at a local rescue for Doberman's and plan on going to their next open house to learn more. I heard they have about the same temperment as GSD's but obviously have less shedding.

I prefer to give older dogs a home, so it really will depend on what dog is in need of a family when we are ready. I could end up with something completely different when the time comes. Whatever dog needs us (and we need back) will find us.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Keechak, I may actually really be interested in an Aussie in 2ish years though. ;) That'll be right at puppy time for me and I adore your dogs haha. Now you've got me thinking, which is always a bad thing!

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
There was one in my OBED. class the same size as a beagle. I thought it was a mix but she said it was a mini Australian shepherd.

This is the size I want
http://www.akc.org/breeds/australian_shepherd/
If it was sold to her as a Mini Australian Shepherd then it was actually a Mini American Shepherd, they recently changed the name of the breed.
http://www.akc.org/breeds/miniature_american_shepherd/photos.cfm

But even that breed is normally a tad larger than most beagles.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Great choice, we have a half Sib Husky and she mostly has Husky traits. They are very strong animals and walking her was a bit of a challenge, now we have a gentle leader harness and it is great...she loves it too and just prances around like a show dog. looks like you live where there is snow...very nice!

·
Registered
42 Posts
We talk about it alot. We have his breed and his name. I had a vision/dream of this future pet. He is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, named Tanner. My husband in into hunting and fishing. I am working hard to train our new one year old lab (rescued from the park by the Columbia River when she was barely 9 weeks old), so I will have the knowledge and skills to handle a Chessie. This will be several years out because we can only have two dogs in our neighborhood HOA. Plus, two is more than enough to handle.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
I have been researching and drooling after a Beauceron for a while now. But hopefully that's a few years in the future. Toby is 8 and Cameron is 7. I want to have at least 5-6 years with them yet.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
But even that breed is normally a tad larger than most beagles.
Like 50% of the beagles around here I think are technically oversized, so I guess it's kind of a subjective comparison. My roommate's beagle was over 35 pounds. Because of that I always think of them as bigger than they're "supposed" to be. It's crazy to me to think Sydney is right within the normal range of size for a beagle! She seems smaller to me.

I also have kind of a warped idea of the size of shih-tzus because the only one I know is also 35 pounds, which is way over the normal size. ;p

Wikipedia says 17-30 pounds for Mini American Shepherds (but of course, their article is still under the name Mini Australian Shepherd), momtolabs, so that should give you an idea. I have to say I would greatly enjoy a Sydney-sized Aussie. I didn't realize they were that small...I'll have to look into that. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
My next dog will most definitely be a herding breed. Either a BC, Aussie, Catahoula, ACD, or mix there of. I'm working with a rescue right now, but with our living situation right now and moving again in 2 months, I don't know whether or not they will accept my app, though the phone interview went well. The ACD breeder that I love has a litter planned for next spring, so if I don't have a rescue by then, we may look seriously at that.

When Harlow gets to be around 6 years old, we will probably get DH his Vizsla. We will probably always have a bully breed (not sure whether or not it will be another Boxer, AmStaff, or American Bull), I know I will always have a herding breed, and DH will probably always have a sporting breed.

I have always had a love for English Springers as well... and eventually when I am rich, I will have a Koolie. But that could be a while.

I also have a weird thing about naming my dogs long before I have them. Males only though, for some reason... I can't name females in advance.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I find myself all over the place with "what next", so clearly I am a far way away from being ready. Some days its "I will never own another dog again!". Other days I think I would like to get an adult rescue. Then I have my fantasy dogs... I have always loved bench English Setters. For the past good while though I have put in some serious research in the Korthals Griffon. I met my first one recently and I was absolutely smitten. Who knows, maybe an adult rescue Korthals? My Boys are not even 5 yet though, so that is still a long ways away.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I am looking for a English Bulldog! I just havent found what I'm looking for yet. I also am still on the fence about getting a puppy. I hate puppies, but with EBs I feel like I probably should suck up and raise one from the start. Rescue ones are hard to come by (many they want in a single dog, no cat home which Im not), some retired breeding dogs come about but with their shorter than "usual" lifespan I think I'm really screwing myself that way.

81 - 100 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.