Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 40 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
878 Posts
Current thinking is another cairn terrier as they seem to work with our lifestyle, or alternatively a miniature schnauzer.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I won't be getting another dog soon, since we already have 2 relatively young ones, but I'd love to have a retired greyhound. However, we've been warned that they have a very high prey drive with small creatures, so I don't think that's happening, given our two small dogs!

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Also won't be getting another dog soon, Luke is 2 and Zoey is 10 months. But someday I would love to own an Australian Shepherd. Been my dog dream for quite awhile. When I get my horse farm... I think I would also maybe like a purebred Golden Retreiver someday.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Wow! I thought I was the only one who planned my future dogs! :) Every once in awhile I even go so far as to make name lists.... I'm such a weirdo. My husband will find little scribbled notes with a list of breeds and dog names along with pro and cons for each one. He just rolls his eyes. Lol.

It will be quite awhile until we get another dog...but here's my short list. Lol.

A German Shepherd, my DH's favorite but I want to wait until the kids are older.
A Weimaraner, I work with a Weim rescue sometimes and love them.

I'd love to have a Great Dane one day... When I was a kid they were my absolute favorite breed.

I wouldn't trade the two that I have right now though! They are so different from each other but both perfect! :)

I also have names picked out,lol.

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
I want a basenji someday, but not anytime soon because my dogs are fairly young (2.5 and almost 6) and I don't want three dogs. I've liked the ones I've met at shows, and I'm fine with the breed's independent, stubborn temperament. I think it would be a fun training challenge. :p Plus, they're a great size, the very minimal grooming appeals to me, and I like the noises they make. I like all of the colors they come in, too, although the brindle and whites are my favorite.

I'll always have a papillon, though. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had medium to big dogs my whole life. My next dog will be a West Highland Terrier. I love their temperment and their cute little faces. :) My husband said I can get a small dog now if I want, but we're only allowed two dogs living on post - so we'd have to find a different place to live... lol.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
My next dog will be another herding type dog as I miss having them around. It depends mostly on the lines and the timing and my situation at the time. Border collie, sheltie, or Aussie are the three I am tossing around. Sheltie if I need to get another smaller/easier dog and because they are the familiar breed to me. The only way I'd get a sheltie over the other two is if I do really NEED to get a small dog due to living situations. Border collie is what I really want and I have a breeder list already picked out. I don't think shelties fit me as well as BCs and Aussies and there's things I'd like to do that having a bigger dog would be beneficial. I've been pining for a BC for years but will not get one unless I am certain I am in a place to handle one. Aussie is one I've thought about then decided they weren't for me then recently decided I do like the smaller working type dogs. I'm still not quite as sold on them but I do really like them. Playing with an 11 week old Aussie pup all last week didn't help much either.

I still have at least 2 years to wait out though, unfortunately. I'm saving up for a house right now.

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Oh my next pup will be another bulldog, from our upcoming litter. After that it will probably be one of BB's puppies.

I would love to get a mini bull terrier from my friends in England one of these days.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I love most breeds (pure and mutts alike) and have no idea what I would get. Haku was a Peke and Troy is a mix of some sort. They are like night and day. I want another Peke but in both cases, we chose each other so I'm keeping my options open. Except for size - it has to be a medium to small because of my space and something friendly that can play with Troy :)

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
Silken windhound!

I have been stalking this breed for years now and I have pretty much decided that my next dog will be from a reputable windhound breeder. Love the silken community, the breed club's ethics, and the breed of course. I intend to give my breeder my situation and let them select the best fit pup for me. It'd be awesome to have a brindle, but persona matters to me more.

I'd be interested in owning a borzoi or a rescue greyhound in the not-to-distant future, but the silken windhound is the first sighthound on my list.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I'm sure I will end up with another Finkie (possibly from Bubbles' breeding next year), but I'm also sort of probably hopefully getting a very nice, already finished adult GSD sometime soon. Just need to work out some details...

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I've been waffling for some time but I'm really interested in having a rat terrier or a border terrier. Though another smallish shorthaired mix is probably more likely and I'd be perfectly happy with that.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Another German Shepherd Dog.

Then it may be a toss up between adopting a bully type dog or bully mix, an English Shepherd, a Beauceron, a Cardigan Welsh Corgi, or (most likely) a German Shepherd again.

Probably a German Shepherd again ;) I will only ever have 2 dogs maximum at a time, though.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm a long ways away from another dog, my current 3 are so young, I don't even need to think about it... But I'll definitely be getting a chow pup from a reputable breeder.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I can't decide. I'm so wish washy. I am interested in having a giant breed one day but it's going to be a looonggg way off.

For the time being, the top I'd go would probably be about 45-50lbs or so. I'd love a smaller sized BC (ideally 30-40lbs) because I'm really into doing things with my dogs and I think a BC could fit my lifestyle because it would never be a dog that would have to just go in the backyard to entertain itself, etc. I LOVE doing things with my dogs, whether it's just playing some ball or frisbee and taking them to a new park, or finding some water to swim in, or going four wheeling, or any kind of adventure we can find. I am also highly into training and would dabble in some dog sports. So I really think a BC (not bred for go-go-go sports like I see some of the neurotic ones) would fit my lifestyle really great now that I've looked into them more. And they've really peaked my interest. I also think they'd be a good match with my 16lb terrier, Jackson, who is very active himself.

On the other hand, I feel like I should stick with something I know (i.e. small terriers) and have interest in Silky's, Border Terriers, and Westies primarily. But then I hear of the dog aggression issues that come up with terriers (and I want another male dog) and I realize I'm very lucky to have the dog that I do (he's got just enough terrier in him that I LOVE but it's not overbearing and he's been extremely easy to train, go anywhere with, he gets along with everyone, etc). So then I get scared that I'll be seeking another Jackson and it just won't happen, LOL.

So basically I'm not sure.

21 - 40 of 104 Posts