Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are getting another dog what will it be? mine will be a GSD. Either from a breeder or a rescue. Probably a breeder first then a rescue. I will always have a lab though :wink: Can't go without one, i would be lost!!! My next lab will be a chocolate. My dream is to have all 3 colors one day but I don't think that will happen, unless I loose my mind,lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wont be getting another dog for a while, since I just got one a month ago, but it will be another Great Dane. I will never own another breed I don't think. I absolutely love them. I love all dogs, but GDs have a special place in my heart. As for breeder or rescue, I'm not sure. Before I got Zoey, I really thought my next dog was going to be a GD puppy from a reputable breeder. But then came Zoey. So, when the time is right, I will just have to see.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I don't have any plans to get one right now. Next time maybe a Rottweiler, Husky, or Malamute. I don't think I'd be able to bring myself to ever get another GSD, to me, my buddy is just one of a kind.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I want a Standard Poodle or Afghan Hound next, most likely the Standard Poodle because there is a limited availability for the Afghan Hounds in my area. I even googled looking for Afghan Hound rescues and checked petfinder.org nearest Afghan Hound rescue is OH or CA (same rescue, 2 locations) and nearest dogs on petfinder are in FL. There is a poodle rescue in Missouri and I don't intend to get another dog until we move (looking for a new house with a proper yard right now). I don't want a puppy again, so I intend to hold out for an older dog, and until I find the Standard Poodle or Afghan Hound of my dreams I'm going to see about fostering dogs for a rescue but a lot of our rescues have these blanket policies about no kids under 10 (my youngest is 8) and we can't foster dogs in our current home because we lack the yard. However sometimes the dog chooses you, so I may not get a Standard Poodle or Afghan Hound at all because I meet the mutt of my dreams. :)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Um. I have a list that has not successfully been narrowed down at all.

BC, Aussie, ACD, GSD, Rottie, Pointer, or Springer Spaniel.

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
We have a standard poodle and, right now, plan for our second dog to be a retired greyhound. Just need to wait for our puppy to grow up a bit :)

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Any dog with at least a moderate energy level and very intelligent. Yeah, that really narrows it down, huh...

I'm spoiled by the "mental banter" I get from Wally with his coyly manipulative...er..."creative" ways of doing things, and don't want a dog that would prefer to lay around all day :) I'm not the most "on the go" person in the world, but a dog that needs 15-16 hrs of sleep is one that probably would not be happy with me.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Wow! I thought I was the only one who planned my future dogs! :) Every once in awhile I even go so far as to make name lists.... I'm such a weirdo. My husband will find little scribbled notes with a list of breeds and dog names along with pro and cons for each one. He just rolls his eyes. Lol.

It will be quite awhile until we get another dog...but here's my short list. Lol.

A German Shepherd, my DH's favorite but I want to wait until the kids are older.
A Weimaraner, I work with a Weim rescue sometimes and love them.

I'd love to have a Great Dane one day... When I was a kid they were my absolute favorite breed.

I wouldn't trade the two that I have right now though! They are so different from each other but both perfect! :)

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Almost certainly an Alaskan Husky, although it will not be for some time. Not until after Pip has passed on and that won't be for like a hundred years, so...

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'd love to have a Great Dane one day... When I was a kid they were my absolute favorite breed.
When I was kid my favorite breeds were Malamute (for the blue eyes) and Saint Bernards (Beethoven movies) but as an adult I have no where near the energy requirements or mental capacity to work with a Malamute and Saints are beautiful, great dogs, but I'm not prepared to clean up the drool.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Great Dane and Greyhound are on my list but my last three were all going to be Danes and none of them are so I am not holding my breath.

·
Registered
211 Posts
We've got a full house with 4 cats, 1 dog and a blue and gold macaw so I'm not planning on getting any new critters for a while.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I don't usually have much of a choice in the matter. . .whatever dog needs me :).

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
When I was kid my favorite breeds were Malamute (for the blue eyes) and Saint Bernards (Beethoven movies) but as an adult I have no where near the energy requirements or mental capacity to work with a Malamute and Saints are beautiful, great dogs, but I'm not prepared to clean up the drool.
There are some breeds I like very much (e.g., German shepherds, Saint Bernards, Irish setters), but I know that they are not a good fit for me. I'm resolved to admiring them from afar :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
Did you mean Siberian Husky?

·
Registered
943 Posts
I have first dibs on a beautiful black/tan female Shiba Inu named Kati. But I wont get my opportunity to have her until approx another 2 years. She is currently a year and a half and still has to complete her health testing, show, and produce some puppies. She is Thumpers age roughly though, so it would be nice to have a dog around his age in the near future, as Cash gets older. 6 year age gap between Thumper and Cash so I think an addition would be good, and definitely female next time around. I won't do a puppy again anytime soon... if i get ancy and decide not to wait for my dream dog, which was always a black/tan female Shiba, then I will rescue a dog that is suitable for us and again around Thumpers age, and not too big, unless we manage to buy land and build our acreage by that time.

Its a good possibility I will inherit a pomeranian at some point though. I hate to think about it, my grandmother is a Pom breeder, and she's getting up there. She won't be around much longer and I absolutely would not allow any of her precious poms to end up in a shelter when she passes, so I would take one if needed. Thankfully, she is slowing down and only has a couple dogs now, but you just never can predict life.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Um. I have a list that has not successfully been narrowed down at all.
:yesplz:

Without a doubt, I will have a Redbone Coonhound.
I'd also like to have a GSD but I'm not too sure if I can handle them or not, so I should probably re-think that one.

but who am I kidding. Most likely I'll make all this plans and the morning before I'm supposed to go meet a breeder there'll be some scraggly little stray on my porch, or I'll randomly go on petfinder and there'll be a pair of eyes sucking me in.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Should anything happen to my other dogs ...Heaven forbid! ... Then I really would want a Poodle ... any size .... any age .... and probably from a rescue ... or a Schnauzer will do just fine! :D

New dogs in my very near future are no where near on my mind at this moment .......

·
Registered
332 Posts
Did you mean Siberian Husky?
Maybe that is it. Sled dog with blue eyes. :) I'm not great with breeds. Some breeds I've never heard of until a month or a week ago. Still I know myself to know its better for the dog if I admire from afar like Cookieface said.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts