Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Lacey to the dog park over the weekend. She had 3 other GSD buddies to play with while we were there. :)
However, a lady with a very large GSD mentioned how "small" she was and said she looked like she was 4 months old?!
She's 10 months old now, about 23 inches at the withers and right at 55 lbs.
This ladies dog was absolutely huge though, at 1 yr old, weighed in at 110 lbs...and was not overweight.
So is Lacey undersized?! I understand that she could gain some weight, but she's gained a lot already and is still pretty lean looking...but she was nowhere near the size of the other GSD.
Then again, what do I know? The other ladies GSD is a monorchid that she intends on breeding, he's also awfully cowhocked (enough that his hocks hit together when he runs)...but is she right about Lacey?

The guy that was there with his 2 has a probable sibling/cousin of Lacey. We got to talking and both dogs have the same breeder. His girl is a black and tan too, except she doesn't have the facial markings, her face is black. She's a very sweet dog too.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Female GSD's don't really get all too big. I'm not sure, but she sounds about average. That dog though... 110lbs? that's HUGE! I thought that my old nieghbors shepherd was big at 75lbs... phew!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Atka is mature at 2 years old and has finished at 68-70 pounds. The larger dogs are often of German Breeding and, to be honest, these dogs often have joint problems becuase their size can put a lot of strain on their joints. However, if the dog has the right structure and is never allowed to be over weight, the impact from large size can be reduced.

My last GSD was 95 pounds at ideal weight. She was all German Bred with Schutzhung back ground. She was outside the Breed Standard (AKC). She lived to be 14.

The breed standard AKC discusses size aony in terms of height at withers and proportion. At 23 inches she is within the standard that calls for 22-24 inches for a GSD Bitch. http://www.akc.org/breeds/german_shepherd_dog/

I posted a photo of Atka stacked and Xeph answered with some comments and some sample photos.. which is very helpful with regards to structure. Can you get a photo of Lacey stacked? you may need two people.. one to hold Lacey and one to photograph while you get her attention... unless you have taught Lacey the Stand command and you cna have her stand and then rearrange her feet etc... Maybe you can post if on the thread I started or start one of your own? Just an idea.. and of course she is young so that has to be considered.

The rule in animal breeding is to NEVER breed a Cryptorchid or Monorchid animal. EVER. She may have a huge dog, but she is a BYB and the worst kind. Good Grief....

Personally I think Lacey is the right size for her age. She is not going to be huge and she should go a long time assuming she is structurally sound.

·
Registered
532 Posts
People used to say that about Sierra as well. They'd even go as far as to ask if she was the runt of the litter.

But what people don't realize is that GSDs are not meant to be HUGE dogs. Of course, that varies between the lines, but I think that generally bitches are supposed to fall between 50-70 lbs. (22-24 inches in height.)

http://www.shawlein.com/The_Standard/06_Overall_Structure/Overall_Structure.html

Sierra has topped out at about 65 lbs. She is lean and in good shape. The misconception that the larger the dog the better protector or fiercer it will be is totally hogwash. Spike is 93 lbs and as timid as a fly, but I wouldn't cross Sierra's path with the wrong intentions in mind.

At 10 months and 55 lbs, I would think she'd probably end up about the size of Sierra, who I believe was around that weight at that age. She'll be perfect!

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
The biggest GSD I've ever seen was a GSD/Great Dane mix. Was 200+lbs. This guy was a horse, lol. He was at the local humane society here, didn't last long, he was adopted. Females are generally smaller, and I think yours is just about right for a GSD. Maybe on the smaller side of just right.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
If it makes you feel better, you can stand your GSD next to my "GSD", lol...for some reason I've had a lot of people lately think Webster is a puppy purebred GSD (thought if nothing else the bits of white here and there would give that away but hey what do I know?).

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
One nice thing about the uninformed is that you can walk away from them. 55 lbs at 10 months of age is well within the parameters of GSDs. All dogs stop growing tall at 15 months and then mature. They just like kids have growth spurts, It's possible but not likely that Lacey could be full grown (tall at 10 months of age) but I doubt it. She definitely is going to put on some weight when mature. I realize you know all this but for some people (the uninformed) they think big is good and bigger must be even better. If I want big I will go buy a Mastiff, a Great Dane, St Bernard or even a horse. A one year old GSD that weighs 110 lbs is definitely not within the standard.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was just thrown for a loop, the other male GSD that was there was big too, both of them would be as tall as me if they stood on their hind legs, though I do realize that's not much of a feat either, lol. However, both of them dwarfed Lacey, though Lacey's cousin/relative there was about the same size as her at only 6 months old. Maybe Lacey got stunted because she was so thin?

I'll try to get a picture of Lacey stacked. She's really lanky looking right now, I guess the best description is that "teenager" look.

The bigger GSD reminded me of a GSD I had a long time back named Jake. He was bigger too, but what reminded me was the hind legs. This dogs hindlegs are literally so cowhocked that the hocks touch. I'm not sure if it's just cowhocked or if he's showing early signs of displasia. Jake had severe displasia (I got him as a 10 year old dog too) and his hocks looked like that and he moved the same way with this twist in his walk.

Next time I"m bringing my camera!

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Lacey is completely in standard. Right in the middle :) GSD bitches should be 22-24" and no larger. The woman you spoke to was a twit

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Lacey is completely in standard. Right in the middle :) GSD bitches should be 22-24" and no larger. The woman you spoke to was a twit
It's been 20 some odd years since I've checked out the AKC standard, but I thought 23 inches was well within limits. I always considered a GSD a medium sized breed.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. I get it more then enough times about how my dogs (who are within the standard and show quality) are too small, must be mixed, ect. Lacey sounds fine to me for a GSD. I've seen some huge ones before too but they really don't impress me. You should have told her well her dog is too big and see how that goes over.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Lol Spicy, I guess I can be too polite for that. I know, doesn't seem like me, but this is someone who lives around me.
I wanted to tell her "you know, breeding a dog with only one testicle just isn't cool, also notice your dog looks dysplasic"? This being after she mentioned her vet said it wouldn't lower his sperm count to only have 1 testicle and she stated "he just doesn't have another one, the vet ultrasounded him and it's not retained, it's just not there" - weird.
I may not know a ton about the GSD standard, but I wasn't impressed by him.

I know I went home and measured Lacey after she went on and on about how small she was. I don't think it would have done any good to mention her dog was absolutely huge, because someone else did and it stroked her ego. Is that like "my dad can beat up your dad"? Lol. He looked like what people call "king shepherds" you know, the ones that are the size of a miniature horse?

I would say he's bigger than Xeph's Strauss, and at only a year old. I'm not sure how tall you are Xeph, but I"m 5 ft 3 and that dog came up more than mid-thigh on me. Do you think he's done growing, or would a 1 yr old get bigger still? She said he was "under" weight at 110 lbs...I can only imagine the stress on his bones? He's twice what Lacey weighs!

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
my male GSD topped out at 125 (coulda been 130 and still not overweight)....he had good hips and elbows, and never had a problem w/ his hocks.....the only problem he had was w/ his rt knee....xrays showed that it had been injured as a pup (i got him at 11 mo) and never taken care of to heal right.....

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
The male you're talking about is just about done growing ACampbell..maybe a little more, but he'll be done going "up" at 12-14 months.

I'm 5'6" and Strauss is at eye level with me when I invite him up

·
Registered
1,801 Posts
Ugh, what an idiot. Can't say anything about the size of your little girl, but seriously...she's going to breed him? Moron.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
I had to get a new crate today, and saw this on the box...made me think of this thread lol:

Just thought it was funny they (sort of) called a GSD a Giant breed...

·
Registered
435 Posts
I had to get a new crate today, and saw this on the box...made me think of this thread lol:

Just thought it was funny they (sort of) called a GSD a Giant breed...
A GSD can weigh to 130 lbs,which by most definitions is considered giant or XL. I've seen some huge GSD,my brother had one top out at 135 or so,and one of the tallest I've ever seen.And it was a purebred.

·
Registered
7,761 Posts
A GSD can weigh to 130 lbs,which by most definitions is considered giant or XL. I've seen some huge GSD,my brother had one top out at 135 or so,and one of the tallest I've ever seen.And it was a purebred.
That wasn't really my point, but just because a dog IS a particular breed doesn't mean s/he is a good representative of that breed. I've seen trim Golden top 120lbs before too buuuuuut...

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had to have a crate specially made for my Jakey. Its 4 x 6 x 4'high.
he fills it up pretty good.
he now weighs in at over 170 pounds.
They don't seem to make crates for actually giant dogs.
Jakey wouldn't fit in the largest one they make.

Don't let someone with a big dog make you feel that your GSD is small for her type. She is not.
jake is overly large for his breed and I certainly would never comment to someone with a smaller Irish Wolfhound that there (especially female) is too small.
Myfriends female Dane is not all that big (or maybe its because I am used to looking at a baby moose) but she is well within her standards.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
FWIW my last dog, Kazi, weighed 95 pounds. She was all German Bred. She was "pure" German from Imported parents. She lived to be 14 years old.

Yes she was big. Yes there are some very large GSD's out there.

It does not mean they are within the standard. It does not mean they (extra large GSD's) are all unsound. It means they can work, but they cannot/should not be put in the show ring because they are outside the breed standard.

...and it does not mean extra large GSD's should be bred.. tho working titled dogs with OFA certification from VG to Exc. that are strong and sound (and not Cryptorchid or monorchid :rolleyes:) should not be preculded from being bred.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts