Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are numerous threads about the nightmare vets. I want to start a positive one with good experiences with vets.

I absolutely LOVE my vets. They are on the pricey side but I have two favorite doctors and most of the staff know me by name...may or may not be a good thing. Butch came from them and he gets so excited when he's there.

Mort lost over 4# in the last 6 months. He needed to lose weight but it seemed so sudden. I went ahead and had a full blood panel done and the dr who saw him made a point to call me from home (left a message) and then when I talked to her she explained everything they had tested for and that I need to watch his weight to make sure he doesn't lose any more (I have to bring him back in a month to weigh him...which he is NOT going to like) and other things to look for.

I am happy to pay their fees to have such caring doctors and staff. Now tell us YOUR story.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Our vet is AWESOME. We started going to him September of last year and he has just been great. Dohggy loves him, and he's very knowledgable. It's his practice so he's the only vet and then they have a few vet techs. All of the staff know dohggy and I like that. When we first started going there, Dr. Duncan got down on the floor with dohggy to make him feel more comfortable and he was more than happy to let us come by to meet him and the staff before we officially chose them as our new vet. I really like how they make it more of a personal experience rather than a get in get out experience.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Oh, I ADORE my vets!! It's a small family-run practice, and I see two different vets there depending on their schedule. EVERYONE in the clinic knows me, knows my dogs, and just loves all three of them! They are also very supportive of the rescue work, and if I need to post a flyer or ask advice, they are always available. Whenever there's been an emergency, they've found a way to accomodate me and fit me in somehow. When Yuki passed away, they sent me a very nice card with all their signatures, and the next time I was in (several weeks later), they were kind enough to ask me about him and express their condolences in person.

Wouldn't change vets for the WORLD. Yes, they are pricey, and they definitely aren't right in my neighborhood (30 minute drive), but they are the best. :D

·
Registered
267 Posts
I love my vet, even though its a 30 minute drive, and my family has been going to them for 15 yrs. I'm not in there enough for them to know me by name, but we do have little spells where we're in there once a month. Everyone seems to get sick at the same time. The last time, we were in there about once every two weeks. The last time Buster had an upper respritory infection, which they only charged me $50 for the visit! Plus everytime I go there almost every tech comes out with treats and pets my dogs, doesn't matter who I have. :p

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I first started going to my current vet when my vet of 10+ yrs closed his practice. I had to find a new vet for a dog that had passed and then a week later another dog had a severely bleeding nose. Had to put her down that day. So within a week they took care of a very sad person but were so caring and wonderful. Then I got my Mortimer and took him there when he had an abcess on his stomach. When picking up Mort, Butch was in a cage...for free! Butch had heartworms so he had to be treated and follow up checks done.

In a period of about 6 months, I spent a lot of time at my new vet. I miss my old one because he was great but I'm glad I found this one. Oh, and by the way, it was a newer version of the one I had worked at when I was 16!!! :eek:Same name, new building, new vets...

It's nice to hear how people LOVE the people who treat their furr babies. Would I prefer they not charge $53 for an office visit, sure. But the care they show me and my critters is worth it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I love, love, love my vet! He is so kind to my furbabies and he spends a LOT of time asking about their health and answering our questions. We never feel like we have to hurry up and get out of there. If a treatment is needed, he explains it thoroughly and is open to our ideas as well. He's just fabulous.

There's another vet we've seen if our primary vet isn't available. He's also great, as is their office staff. It's so wonderful being able to take our pets to a place where we feel so comfortable with the care they're getting.

·
Super Moderator
11,841 Posts
I took my black lab to my vet the day before Thanksgiving many years ago and was given some eye drops to deal with an annoying, but not terribly serious, condition.

I was astounded when the vet called me, on Thanksgiving Day from his in-laws' house, to find out how Cubby was doing.

I asked, only half-joking, if he would consider being our family doctor.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Our vet, as well as an emergency vet, saved Dixon's life two years ago.

My in-laws were visiting and fed Dixon several slices of pepperoni pizza. :mad: This triggered a severe case of pancreatitis (which we didn't know until we took her to the emergency vet at 3:00 a.m., after a frightening appearance of bloody diarrhea). Thank God for competent veterinary staff... the E.R. vet diagnosed the problem and Dr. Bowen, our regular vet, gave her the continued supportive care she needed to pull through it with flying colors.

I loved him even before that, because of his intelligence and great "bedside manner." Dr. Bowen (or "Dr. Bone," as the pups call him in their thank-you notes :D)

Can I just say, the whole incident showed me Dixon's compassion and intelligence in a whole new light. I had woken up that night around 1am because Dixon was repeatedly vomiting. I stayed up with her, caring for her as best I could, not knowing yet whether to wake my husband or what.

Shortly before the bloody diarrhea incident, I was sitting on the bed with Dixon, hugging her, thinking about my in-laws' dog (Dixon's brother) who had passed away a couple of months earlier thanks to HORRIBLE vet care, and I burst into tears, so afraid Dixon was going to die too.

Dixon looked into my eyes with concern, wagged her tail and kissed me. Here SHE was the one who was sick and suffering, yet she was consoling me!

Also, I had been trying to get her to drink water to replenish her fluids, but she refused to drink. Even with a bowl of fresh cool water held right up to her mouth, she kept turning away. I later learned that the treatment for pancreatitis calls for NO food or liquids for the first 24 hours (just sub-Q fluids) in order for the pancreas to begin to heal. My smart pup's instincts not to drink were right on!

Sorry to get off on a tangent... I'm just very grateful to have a competent vet team. When my in-laws' dog got sick, they went to vet after vet who kept making that poor dog worse. I'm convinced it was the cocktail of too many meds and steroids he was on that ultimately killed him. I wish they had listened to us and taken him to Dr. Bowen... but what can you do with in-laws who won't listen.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
We started going to this vet after I got fed up with the previous clinic we'd been going to. This vet gets down on the floor and cuddles with the dogs. He LISTENS to you and then explains all of the posibilities and treatments. He and his crew were great last month when Cameron got into the rat poison. On top of it all,he tries very hard to keep the prices down. That whole episode with the rat poison cost me less than $100. I expected triple that.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I love reading all these posts. I forgot to add that Dr. Moss (my favorite) gets right down with Butch and Roxxy, together (because they always visit in pairs no matter who has the appt), lets Butch be Butch, and helps calm Roxxy's fears (she's usually hiding under the bench). SHE adores him and lets him cut her nails...a miracle in and of itself. And she has good taste because he is cute! :cool: Dr. Hargrave is great too...she's the one who talked to me about Mort's blood work, on her day off (I could hear her twins in the background)!

And...they don't push tests if something else will suffice to rule out a problem. No BIG tests unless Mort continues to lose weight. They try the less expensive course of treatment first, if possible.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
This past February I had a scare with Lucy because she was showing signs of bloat. I tried the Vet practice right next to my house instead of going to our usual vet because they're 30 mins away and i knew we needed help ASAP.

The vet was super busy(he was in surgery) but made time for the emergency and was extremely nice. He took an x-ray and it turned out Lucy got into the kibble bin and ate until she was full!!!
When we figured out she was fine I got ready to leave right away since he was so busy, but he stopped me and said he wanted to do a full physical exam since she was here. He also promised to call me tonight to check up and make sure she was fine.
And he actually did call! Then he said he was gonna call the next morning... and true to his word, he called the next morning. Really great vet, and he's cool with getting down on the ground and really give them a good rub. I was so impressed I switched from my vet of 7 years (super hard to do because they were great as well, just too far when needed in an emergency).

·
Registered
252 Posts
I love Stella's vet! Such a kind man. Prior to Stella we were owned by Sadie a 13.5 year old lab. When it came time to say goodbye to Sadie the vet (Matt) could not have been more gentle and understanding with us and with our girl.

Wonderful, wonderful man.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I love our vet and the staff, too. They know Poca is afraid and go out of their way to make her comfortable. The doc walks into the exam room with a big container of peanut butter - Poca's favorite - and sits and talks calmly with me for as long as it takes for Poca to settle down and relax. And they have an exam table that goes all the way to the floor so that Poca can just hop on and be raised to examination height without the added stress of being picked up. If she's being reactive, they always figure out a way around it and make sure she gets the treatment she needs. These folks speak DOG!! Not all the vets we've seen have, so I really value it.

·
Registered
926 Posts
We have a great vet clinic - we drive 40 minutes to get there and always make appointments with one vet in particular (there are 4 vets). He is awesome and always spends the time with us - never rushed. The staff are all great and greet our dogs with their names etc. Never a big wait - efficient clinic too. We were just at he vets yesterday getting a lump on Cartman checked out (just a fatty deposit which we thought - but better to have it checked out). Quinn was in the truck and he came outside to see him - we brought him inside, did a weight check and a quick look over. Vet didn't even charge us. This vet also calls us at home in the evenings if there are any needed follow-ups on the dogs. Couldn't ask for more. So, if anyone in Oakville, Ontario (it's worth the drive) needs a great vet clinic - PM me.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I am thankful to have found a vet I trust. They dont know the humans by name but they do know the pup (we're "Busters mom & dad"). Every time we walk through the door Buster is given as much love and attention as one puppy can hold. He's so comfortable there that he typically FALLS ASLEEP on the office floor! Each time the vet walks into the exam room she's on the floor playing with the pup.

We've had one "sick" visit. Buster had projectile watery diarrhea. We were seen very quickly. The vet spent what I felt was a lot of time in the exam room (most of it sitting on the floor with the pup) and thoroughly explained what she felt his problem was, how to give his medications and to call the next day (a Saturday) if he wasnt improving.

Now that we're done with puppy shots, we stop in to weigh Buster a couple times a month. We ended up going with the more expensive of the 2 vet clinics in town but find the better care worth paying for. The more stories I hear about the other clinic, the happier I am that we chose the one right for us.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LMA...just how much does Buster weigh now? There was a St B on my street where I grew up (in Ohio) and he was the biggest happiest slobberiest loveable goof around! Your girls are lucky kids! :D

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
LMA...just how much does Buster weigh now? There was a St B on my street where I grew up (in Ohio) and he was the biggest happiest slobberiest loveable goof around! Your girls are lucky kids! :D
He's likely at or just over 70lbs this week. Last Wednesday he was 65.4lbs and typically gains 4-6lbs per week. Buster fits that description perfect...big, happy, slobbery, lovable goof. I couldnt ask for a better behaved, more gentle puppy. This crazy boy is working his magic with the girls and helping 3 of them over come a fear of dogs that once left them panicked and nearly hystarical. We're all very lucky to have found Buster. I know Ive said this before but he's the perfect dog for our family.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
There's a rather expensive vet in Denver called Firehouse. They cater to people that are loaded or, like me, spend more money on pets than themselves. They give you a bottle of wine on your first visit. Lol.

I guess this is good but still sad.
My friend's dog was hit by a car when he found a hole in the fence. She rushed him there and the vets spent a great deal of time trying to keep him alive and such. The pooch didn't make it. The vets told her that there would be no charge what so ever.

·
Registered
15 Posts
We LOVE our vet. We have been going to this vet for about 8 years. We are planning to move soon about 20-30 minutes from where we are now. We are still going to continue to go to the same place. Well worth the drive! We took our pup in for his last set of shots about 2 weeks ago and our vet was telling us he was going to take his family on vacation to China for 3 weeks. Told us to call his cell if we needed anything! We have his home number also. He is the best! Anytime we need him he is there. He knows all 3 of my babies very well. I don't know what I would do if he moved, we may have to follow!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts