Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
I guess my first two dogs were our Golden Retriever, Daisy, and then our GSD, Sadie. We got Daisy when I turned 4 for "my" birthday. Of course she ended up becoming my dads dog... but she was a GREAT first dog and a wonderful family dog. Never caused any big issues, was very laid back and willing to do whatever, etc. I asked for Sadie when I was 10 and I'd say she was my first dog that mostly mine... as much as a dog can be a 10 year old's ya know? She was a difficult dog but she was my baby. She got me interested in dog training, etc. I was always obsessed with different dog breeds and stuff.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Wow there are a lot of military brats here! My dad was also military (Army), and my very first dog was Blackie, some kind of all black mutt, that my family had when I was 3. I don't remember anything about him, but I know we couldn't keep him when we moved back to Germany from Oklahoma. I think my mom, who didn't really know any better, let him loose when we moved and he was likely eaten by coyotes or run over by a car. I hope that wasn't his fate.. maybe someone wound up taking him in. I have no idea what happened to that dog.

Since then I grew up with cats.. I had three for about 15 years total. I got them a year apart, and they all died in the early 2000s.

So I consider Blackjack to be my real first dog. I got him a week after my mom passed away (end of September 2010) to keep me grounded in the aftermath of her death. He's such a good dog too.. well behaved, already trained, and was unlikely to be adopted from the shelter because of his age (5 years old) and color (they say black dogs are the hardest to adopt out). But as soon as I saw him in his kennel I wanted him. He's a gorgeous dog and people always remark on how beautiful he is when we're out. He's super calm and just wants to be fed, walked, and loved. He loves riding in the car with me and my husband. I guess I kinda ruined his sweet life when we got Pippin because now I have to focus a lot of attention on our new puppy who needs a lot of guidance and training.. but Blackjack is always going to be my first dog, and I can't imagine not coming home to his smiling face and wagging tail. He wags his entire back end when he sees me... he is very special to me.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I was holding off posting here because I was looking for a photo of our very first family dog, but now I'm kind of heartbroken to say the only picture I even have of him is pretty well lost on a computer of mine that died recently. But his name was Leo, he was a Jack Russell terrier and my best friend around the age of 13. He ended up being an unpredictable biter and after biting both my dad and my younger brother my parents decided to drop him off at our local humane society. So my first dog experience was a very bittersweet one. He was mostly black and white with two bright tan eyebrows on his black face. Poor Leo.

Then my parents got a chocolate lab named Buckeye from a newspaper ad while I was on vacation with my friend in Canada. I was about 15. I remember coming home from the trip late at night and walking into the house to be greeted by this behemoth of a dog (to me at the time, lol) and waking up my parents to ask where it came from and if we were keeping it. I loved him, though he was already old by the time we got him. I was his primary caregiver for the next 2 years, until I left for college. He came to us with a large cancerous tumor on his head (we joked that that was why he was called Buckeye...it looked just like one) and we think that's why his owners gave him up. But we had it removed and he lived another 6-7 years with my parents before he stopped eating and lost a lot of weight and had to be PTS. I sometimes feel really bad about Buckeye because he ate the worst of food and didn't get brushed or bathed and hardly got walked once I left home. But I also know that my family truly did not know any better, and that he was lucky at least to get that tumor removed and live with people who loved him, though they sometimes had a strange way of showing it.

Here's a picture of Buckeye the day we brought Sydney home.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My very first dog was a stray. I was about 4 at the time. My mom started feeding her because was in the winter and she didn't look like she had eaten for a long time. My mom named her Bandit. She was a Lab and Beagle mix from what we could tell and ever since then I have had a love for dogs and many other animals as well.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My very 1st dog ever is Samson who can be seen in my signature line...He was 4 months old when I got him & is going to be 7 next month...I'd never even been around dogs before him...What a wild ride it's been!:laugh:
Haha, how crazy to go from never having a dog, to owning 4 monsters in 7 years!

I dont remember my first dog. I remember random things about her, but I was only 4 when she died (a neighbor poisoned her) so I dont remember much. But she was a dobie, named Isis. Basically the only thing I remember about her is dragging her around by her collar everywhere. XD

I really consider Patch my first dog though. We got him for my 10th birthday, and he was the only dog besides Isis that I had ever lived with.

Theres actually a story behind how we got him, too. My aunt owned a tiny little JRT (she only weighed 8lbs) named Peanut. I loved that little dog. I begged my mom to take me to my aunts house everyday so I could spend time with Peanut. One day my aunt came over and asked my mom and dad if we'd be willing to dogsit her for a week so she could go on vacation. My parents said yes, and I was totally thrilled. The day before she was going to come over, she got attacked by another dog and died. I cried nonstop for a week straight. I wouldnt even talk to anyone for 2 or 3 days. Then a few weeks later my aunt said that the woman she got Peanut from had had another litter of puppies... The day after Peanut died. So naturally we all thought it was fate, and when the pups turned 2 months old my aunt took two of the 3 puppies, and we took Patch.

Unfortunately my aunt and her ex husband got a divorce and he kept the dogs. So I havent seen them since they were 2 years old.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.