Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Your favorite breed with a twist~

2K views 24 replies 25 participants last post by  Avie 
#1 ·
1) What do you usually say when people ask what your favorite breed is?

2) What breed(s) do you feel suit your lifestyle best?

3) What breed do you admire most?

4) What breed would you consider your least favorite? (Politely, please!)

This is just for curiosity, by the way, and not a survey.

#2 ·
1) I can never decide, usually one of the pure breds I owned growing up: Beagle, German Shepherd, or Lab

2) Probably a lab

3) Admire? German Shepherd most likely

4) I'm going to have to go with Cocker Spaniel. My family had one for about the first 16 years of my life, and I just never liked it. It was dumb, peed everywhere, had difficult hair, and wasn't playful. (not to say all Cockers are, just that one).

#3 ·
1) Rottweilers. Love 'em, can't really have 'em. GSDs are a close second.

2) Purebreeds? Probably a french bulldog. Something more mellow and cuddly.

3) I dunno.

4) I don't know that I have a breed I outright dislike. I'm not inclined to own a toy breed, but that's just fear of accidentally hurting one.

#4 ·
1) Texas Blue Lacy

2) Blue Lacy or Black Mouth Cur

3) Argentina Dogo or Blue Lacy or Any cur dog

4) I can't stand toy breeds and will never understand why they cost thousands of dollars when you can get a proven line bred working dog for cheap and wasn't bred on looks alone.

#5 ·
Saint Bernard (for appearance and general temperament) or Irish setter (for appearance)

from what I've read, greyhound or any of the giant breeds

German Shepherd

most of the toys and terriers, just not my thing but they certainly have a place in the dog world

#6 · (Edited)
I like small mixes. I always say that first. When pushed for a breed it is the Tibetan Spaniel or Cavalier Spaniel.

See above.

Farm Collies.

There is a bunch . . . terriers as a rule; mostly hard tempered or sharp breeds. (I LOVE the look of many Terriers, the smooth JRT being one). Most of the breeds that I like the temperament of . . . I will not tolerate their conformation (brachy muzzles and/or too much coat).

SOB

#7 ·
"Dogue de Bordeaux...no wait, Leonberger. Or. hold on, Boxers. Nevermind, I think Buhunds...there's too many!" <--- This every single time :p

Many of the spitz breeds do.

Cane Corsos

I think poodles. Not for their personalities but rather, their look.

#8 ·
1. Papillons and collie types (sheltie, Border collie, English shepherd, Aussie, etc)
2. Papillons and collie types :p. Maybe some sporting breeds
3. Belgian Malinois
4. Shih Tzus, pekes, Neapolitan mastiffs, schnauzers specifically. I would not have most terriers, most toys, nordic breeds, or giant breeds

#9 ·
oo interesting thread!

i dont have just one, i love so many but number one is labs

honestly probley more then i could list, I have an active lifestyle (ie, camping, fishing, hiking, traveling, outside alot... all when weather permits lol

thats a hard one. Top choice is Labs <3

chi's

#10 ·

I say the papillon. I have one, so I'm sure I'm a bit biased, but they are (almost) everything I want in a dog (I do worry a bit about mine because she's small; I'd worry less if she were maybe 30-40lbs).

The papillon and any other breed that's fairly small, intelligent and biddable, energetic but not in need of hours of exercise every day, low-maintenance when it comes to grooming, and good around cats and kids (I have a young niece who visits often). I can deal with barking but I don't like a lot of it. I like an aloof dog but not a fearful or aggressive one.

Probably the Caucasian Ovcharka for their natural guarding abilities and their fearlessness. Not a breed I want to own, but I think they're really something.

Looks-wise, probably the poodle (but mostly only in show coat; I have seen some cute clips). I'm not a big fan of curly coats in general. Temperament-wise, most of the scenthounds. They are lovely dogs, but just not for me -- I prefer a more biddable and less food-obsessed dog.

#11 ·
1. Aussies

2. Herding breeds.. aussies, border collies, shelties, etc. There's probably several other active breeds that would work well for me. I think papillons would work out well for me.

3. That's hard, there's a lot of breeds I admire but wouldn't really work out for me. I've always admired sight hound breeds, especially Borzois. I love Belgian malinois. Bouvier des Flanders.

4. Schnauzers! I have never liked shih tzus either.

#13 ·
I like a lot of the herding breeds. I've be researching Scotch Collies/Farm Collies lately and they seem pretty interesting. I also really really have a soft spot for Shelties. I also obviously like Papillons!

Hmm, well I intend to have a small farm some day and so a working bred herding dog or like an all-around farm dog would probably be best. As of right now (living in the city in an apartment), my Papillon suits me fine, and I also think a Sheltie would be a really good fit.

I really like working breeds that are really intelligent and capable of independent thinking and problem solving to get a job done. I also really admire dogs that have really stable reliable temperaments.

I'm not interested in bully breeds, terriers, scent hounds, and other breeds that tend to be either very stubborn or very ummm I don't know how to describe it.. feisty/intense? I mean, an intense working drive is good, but some dogs tend to be intense ALL the time, and during situations that I wouldn't find to be very appropriate for my lifestyle. Like some dogs seem to have an "attitude" and aren't very cooperative with humans.

#14 · (Edited)
1) What do you usually say when people ask what your favorite breed is? Mutts

2) What breed(s) do you feel suit your lifestyle best? Based on what I've read, greyhounds-supposed to be real couch potatoes though I'd have to find one that wouldn't eat my cats (a retired race)

3) What breed do you admire most? German Shepherd (Rin Tin Tin), Rough Collie (Lad, Lassie)

4) What breed would you consider your least favorite? (Politely, please!) Chinese Crested, I'll never understand people wanting HAIRLESS dogs or cats, just don't get it. One of the clients at the vet I worked at had a hairless cat-I did not enjoy touching that cat.

#15 ·
I have always wanted a wire haired dachshund. I love dachs in general. My dad got two with his girlfriend when I was about 15 and that's when I fell in love. So affectionate, rambunctious, goofy looking to the point of being cute. If I ever make the decision to purchase one, I already have my gender and name picked out.

As for suiting my lifestyle, my mutt (terrier/shihtzu) has been the perfect energy level and temperament for me and my life.

I have a lot of respect for sled dogs. I know that isn't a breed at all, but that's te beat answer I can give you.

Least favourite? Hmmm. I dunno. I find most purebred shihtzu's aesthetically unpleasant...

#16 ·

Goldens or Labs ;)

Goldens or Labs ;)

So many, for so many different reasons. Obviously goldens and labs. But also GSD's, Boxers, Dobermans, Bernese Mountain Dogs, Aussies, BC's and the list goes on and on.

I'm not a huge fan of bulldogs. They are adorable pups, but I don't like the grunting noises that I've seen some make. lol. and as a side note, I typically am drawn to the larger dogs as a general rule. I love my little JRTX, but she is probably my last "small" dog. ;)

This is just for curiosity, by the way, and not a survey.[/QUOTE]

#17 ·
Bernese Mountain Dog

Newfoundland, St. Bernard - any of the "gentle giants"

Well bred and trained German Shepards & Rotties. I can't take my eyes off of them.

Pekinese.

#18 ·
1) What do you usually say when people ask what your favorite breed is? Pug, even though I don't have one anymore. If they didn't shed so darn much, i'd have 3.

2) What breed(s) do you feel suit your lifestyle best? Lately, small lap dags and i'm starting to lean towards my future dogs being hypoallergenic.

3) What breed do you admire most? Mastiffs / Bullmastiffs - they are reagle gentle giants

4) What breed would you consider your least favorite? Breeds that are more likely to bark at nothing and everything - like the neighbor's Mini Schnauzers. I don't like Beagles -just don't.

#19 ·
My favorite breed is the Rough Collie ... no doubt about it.

Dobermans fit my lifestyle the best ... our personalities mesh very well. But I also love terrier personalities.

I admire the Border Collie for their intelligence and drive. But I have to add the Poodle for the intelligence also. It is a toss up between them.

My least favorite breed - breeds who would be known for snoring - I loathe snoring! Lol! :)

#20 ·
LOL can never narrow it down to one breed!

Belgians, GSDs, PyrSheps

I suppose my favorite breeds do :)

Belgians for their quickness, cleverness, trainability, eccentric tendencies, good looks and athletic ability. GSDs for their super intelligence, super devotion, strong drive and outstanding trainability. PyrSheps for their insane althletic ability, craziness, loyalty and trainablity.

I admire a lot other breeds too though. Love the sleek, muscular outline, speed and prey drive of sighthounds. I always loved BCs for their quirkiness, super trainability and obsession with work. I admire the really outstanding obedience Goldens, even though I'm not a Golden person at all. I have been pretty impressed with Entlebuchers in agility - for short, stocky dogs they can really go! Really, overall I guess I admire dogs who work with drive, enthusiasm and confidence. If the dog has a bit of crazy to them, all the better ;) The breeds that are my favorites are breeds where those traits are pretty easy to come across.

I'm not a fan of the way brachy breeds look, not that some aren't perfectly nice dogs :)

#21 ·
1 - German Shorthaired Pointer because I had one when I was growing up and she was a great dog.

2 - I'm not really sure. I live in a major city so a GSP probably won't be ideal. When I get another dog I am going to rescue one from a shelter and am not going to be that particular about breed. I do want a fairly large dog, though. I also prefer a dog that won't require a ton of grooming although I don't care that much if it sheds.

3 - Probably German Shepherd. They are so intelligent, loyal and protective. Just a great breed.

4 - I am generally not a big fan of really small dogs, but mainly when they get that Napoleon complex. I dated a girl who had a Miniature Pinscher and it was such an obnoxious dog. It was so annoying that it was a factor in why we broke up (at least in my mind).

#22 ·
1) What do you usually say when people ask what your favorite breed is? Border Collies, Chinese Cresteds, Papillons, and full-blooded Mutts. ;)

2) What breed(s) do you feel suit your lifestyle best? The ones that don't drool and slobber.

3) What breed do you admire most? Many. ...I guess Border Collies would be my top.

4) What breed would you consider your least favorite? (Politely, please!) The ones that drool and slobber.

#23 ·
Here are my answers:
^They usually know what breeds I named because I don't get into which rare breeds I like. I stick with the common ones.

^The dog I have, a Coton. Maybe there are others, but I never thought of it.

^Admire? I don't admire any, but I have a lot of favorite common and rare ones. I won't name my whole list as it's long so I'll just name my top two faves of common breeds: Goldens and Samoyeds and for rare: Kooikers and Stabyhouns.

^There are quite a few, but I'll only name a few: Pekes, Belgian Griffons, Affenpinchers (sp), Dobies, Rotties, etc.

#24 ·
1) What do you usually say when people ask what your favorite breed is? It depends, but my favorite is the GSD.

2) What breed(s) do you feel suit your lifestyle best? No idea as I need a dog that is calm but yet energetic enough to cope with adhd, so a large breed prob.**our current dog - sasha - Great Pryenees/Golden Retriever Mix**

3) What breed do you admire most? GSD prob

4) What breed would you consider your least favorite? Toy Size. Chihuahua, Mini Poodle 'n Toy Poodle... We owned a few while I was a kid, and they destroyed stuff - first one was when my mom was preg with me *it destroyed everything that belonged to her 'n the baby stuff plus potted plants* and then we had 1 when i was a young kid - and it destroyed stuff i made in school and in GS - ... Chihuahua's because they are too small with bulging eyes out of their natural socket and are yappy dogs.

#25 ·
1) I usually reply with mountain dogs and sighthounds and "there are too many breeds I like to pick out just one", but if I had to pick one of both categories, they'd be Sarplaninac and Borzoi.

2) I am very much in dubio about this. I change my mind a lot :p I thought wolfdogs for a long while, then I thought shepherds, then I thought mountain dogs, then sighthounds, now I'm going with shepherds again... In the end, it'd be a dog that's calm, intelligent, reserved with strangers, and is of large size. Lots of breeds fit this description.

3) I admire most LGDs and mountain breeds, especially the Kuvasz, Sarplaninac, Caucasian and Central Asian Ovcharka, and Estrela mountain dog. Then of course there are the sighthounds, where I admire the Borzoi and Azawakh the most.

4) Anything that's small/wrinkly/short legged/flat faced/drooly, with hair that tends to mat quickly is basically a no-no for me. If I had to pick a breed that is most appalling to me, it would be the Pekingese.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.