Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tank is scared of any loud booms or anything. Like guns going off fireworks ect.. Living next to a bar and a young couple next door also and it being 2-3 weeks before 4th of July...they hardship begins! i feel bad for him. I dont cuddle him or anything when he is freaking out but I put him in his crate make it comfy for him and cover his crate with a quilt. Last year he was out in his outside run and I fell asleep on the couch. I woke up to fireworks and ran outside and...Tank was gone. He was missing for 3 days and then wounded up on my uncle property about 5 miles away from where I live. besides being sore and in pain(he has hip problems) he was fine. So of-course this year I am nervous. he will not be out in his run alone until August to be on the safe side and after 5 pm on a leash outside. I feel bad but it is for his safety.

Bentley- he is fine with them except dynamite or any of the little ones you can throw. He gets really "vicious" as I call it and tries to attack it. I mean full force growling/snapping/lunging at it. With the bigger ones he is fine! He sits on a blanket with me and watches the show. Why he has a thing with the little one is beyond me.

Mae- she is fine with them. She has even gone to a few firework shows with us. She enjoys it so we take her. She has even fallen asleep during one. The ONLY show she had a problem with was 2 years ago. before the fireworks they have little shows going on. Well they were doing a show where they would have a plan fly and drop a bomb or something then have fire engines for in and put out the fire. The first one that dropped scared me which made her jump. Then the second one she was a little better with but jumpy the rest of the show.

So how are your dogs? For those who have dogs scared of fireworks what do you do to help them through them?

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Blu Boy hides under the bed. Abbylynn is having some thunderstorm anxiety issues big time! I have "NO" idea what Eddee is like. :/ I may have my hands full this year! I may be the one wanting to hide away somewhere! Lol!

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Mine don't like to go outside during the thick of things, which means they miss their last potty break of the night, but otherwise don't react at all. I just make sure I take them outside frequently in the late afternoon/evening leading up to the displays, and get up early the next morning to let them out.

I used to have a dog who was very frightened of T-Storms and Fireworks. It sucked. We tried to run the window AC or a fan or something to muffle as much as we could, and sometimes used sedatives. No such thing as Thundershirts in those days. Mostly just let her hunker down wherever she wanted to and tried to comfort her as best we could.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Despite being a border collie mix (usually noise phobic), Kit has no issues with fireworks. I think that comes from her other half: the gundog. Last year she was sleeping on her back by an open window and the loud booms didn't even wake her.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Jackson does NOT like fireworks or gun shots or anything sounding like either of those.

He generally goes into a flight mode and just wants to run as far away as possible.

Thunderstorms aren't a huge deal unless we get some really really loud BOOMS - then he will go lay under the bed until it's over. But just light storms and soft thunder doesn't seem to phase him.

Depending on exactly how scared he is, I use food (high value - like cheese or chicken) and try to get him a bit more comfortable. He does not want to be held when he's scared so I try to just let it go, and not baby him too much. If he's extremely scared, which is very rare, he will not take food. So I just let him go hide under the bed or wherever feels most comfrotable.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Sydney had to come with me last year to a 4th of July picnic because of a circumstance that forced us to stay the night before. She's never had any issue with storms or loud noises but I was concerned she would have an issue with fireworks up close and personal. Buuut, someone started setting them off earlier than expected so I didn't get a chance to put her back inside in time and she did fine. I ended up laying in the grass watching them with her next to me and she was perfectly calm.

To all you guys with dogs afraid of loud noises, though, I hope you have as stress-free independence day as possible. :) It's never fun to have to watch your dog be anxious and terrified.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Troubles will sit and chill through fireworks. Loud noises don't bother him at all.

Diesel however, will raise cain at gunshots, and fireworks send him hiding. I haven't watched or lit fireworks since I found this out because I know I need to be there for him to keep him calm.

Apparently, as of last year at least, Aleu has developed a fear of fireworks as well. With her current phobia of storms, I'm in for it this year.

Living in redneck junction USA, I have to listen to fireworks going off at least a month before and after the actual fourth. The neighboring heathens have firecrackers and are shooting them off daily in my yard. I'm ready to strangle the little twats. Their parents are on the verge of it too, it seems. Why you'd turn your child loose with firecrackers is beyond me, but we're also talking about parents who give their children real guns and say go find a spot where nobody can see you.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Conker, they actually annoy him. He gets angry when fireworks go off since a lot of the time they disturb his sleep. He will strut around, growl, and generally look quite pissed off for a bit after they start going off. If it's just one or two, he doesn't care, but if it's a show, he will get angry, then calm down shortly after it starts and attempt to go back to sleep.

Juneau is my problem dog with noise. The slightest pop sends her cowering into my room, and sometimes onto my bed. If she does that, there's no moving her for hours and you just gotta put up with her in your space. I've found that while it doesn't work on the other two, Rescue Remedy works pretty good with her. If I know fireworks will be going off soon, I'll give her a bit and something that takes a long time to chew on.

Sasha... Hit or miss with this one. Some sounds do scare her, others, not. Sometimes if Juneau is terrified Sasha will feed off that. Other times, she acts like it's no big deal and carries on with her normal life.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Jasper is fine with fireworks, gun shots, and other loud noises. He just sleeps through it all.

Dixie is terrified of fireworks, gun shots, etc... She completely freaks out. I make her as comfortable as possible in her kennel, and turn on the TV or radio. And as long as I stay within her sight, she's fine.

Todd, I dunno how he is... I haven't had him but 3 months...

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Boomer is terrified of fireworks or popping, banging, booming, beeping sound. He was doing much better for a couple years and then this past year he has gotten much much worse than ever. He used to just find a spot to hide during the worst of it. Now he runs and paces, shakes to the point I thought he was having a seizure the first time he did it, and drools. Not sure why he has gotten worse and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him this year. I may have to look into sedating him this time.

Paisley doesn't like them either but not nearly as bad as Boomer. Last year was her first experience though and she was a puppy so we'll see what she does this year.

Preston and Duke could care less.

·
Registered
291 Posts
If your dogs are really stressed by loud noises then you will be able to conrol this stress but will need to use a combination of aids.
First, the Thundershirt. I have found this works very well with one of our BC's who , at the age of 8 has shown signs of fright with thunder storms.
Secondly, DAP, Dog Appeasing Pheremone, either as a spray which you spray into their face so they breath it in, or as a collar.
Thirdly, Rescue Remedy, or similar herbal calmative. I know some who go as far as Vallium.

No need for me to emphasise that your dogs should be properly secured drring any noise making events.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Boomer is terrified of fireworks or popping, banging, booming, beeping sound. He was doing much better for a couple years and then this past year he has gotten much much worse than ever. He used to just find a spot to hide during the worst of it. Now he runs and paces, shakes to the point I thought he was having a seizure the first time he did it, and drools. Not sure why he has gotten worse and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him this year. I may have to look into sedating him this time.

Paisley doesn't like them either but not nearly as bad as Boomer. Last year was her first experience though and she was a puppy so we'll see what she does this year.

Preston and Duke could care less.
Melatonin works well. Give it about 10 min before you expect fireworks or a storm. Dosage is 1 mg per 20 lbs of bodyweight up to 3 mg, (6 mg for giant breeds). If your dog is elderly, pregnant or has any medical problems check with your vet. Doesn't make the dog dopey, they just don't seem to care about the noise.

Be aware that melatonin comes in 1 mg and 3 mg pills. Make sure you know what mg the pill is that you are giving.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts