Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think everyone should make fun of themselves every once in a while. Always good to laugh at yourself.

So, what kind of dog owner are you? What "stereotype" do you fall under? Be it about breed, sport, area of interest/expertise, all of us are different in some ways. Where do you fall? Are you the girl who can't get enough of buying sweaters for your dogs? Are you the guy who can't go anywhere without clumps of dog hair sticking to you? Are you the Bully breed aficionado or the crazy Poodle lady? What are your quirks?

For me, I'm the fear maniac. LOL. Although I despise dealing with it in my own dog, partly because it's hard to treat and partly (mostly) because I hate seeing her scared, I really love suggesting to people what to do about their dogs' fear issues and hearing about the way their dogs react to their fears. I'm starting to get interested in the literature specifically pertaining to fearful dogs with my recent purchase of CU, though I have also read lots of stuff about learning theory and am always willing to learn more. Its kind of an offbeat interest, one you don't hear about every day, but as long as there are fearful dogs out there, I guess I just want to be able to say that I tried to help in some way.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
what are the dog owner stereotypes? :)

I know I can be very strict with Wally. We he gets in one of those moods or when he's scared of the world for a day (or five) - I can lose patience, though it usually does bring him under control after being "put out" for 15 minutes.

I can also be very demanding of him in terms of my expectations - of course, that's his fault for almost always meeting them :p :D I have "he can do anything if I can get him to put his mind to it" mentality and when that gets disappointed (like when he doesn't want to put his mind to it LOL), I have to remember not to pressure him (too much, anyway), especially given his personality and temperament.

On the other hand, when things are all cool - I could see myself spoiling him. Letting him on my lap, or take a nap on my bed (which he, ironically, does NOT like because it's across the room from me), or saving some of my dinner so he can eat it (assuming it's not a bad thing for him to eat like onions).

And I think I have to remember to let him just chill. I like having an intelligent dog and I'm always wanting to teach him things and take what he knows to another level and playing mental games with him - I sometimes forget about the physical side of the equation (letting him run and play with me, or go on the long walks he loves).

So...which stereotype am I under? :)

Oh, and yeah, I always have dog hair on me. Sometimes, I don't know where it comes from. It's just...THERE. Even when I haven't been around Wally yet.

My mom joked that I'm more dog than human now since watching Wally for her. She might be right LOL

·
Registered
462 Posts
I would be sterotyped by those who don't know me as the "Paris Hilton type". I have two Chihuahuas. I am blonde. I take them shopping with me in a pink stroller.

For those who do know me, I am very far from Paris Hilton type dog owner. First, I only take my dogs shopping with me when I have to make a stop on the way home from a fun-filled day at the barn and it's too far for me to take them home and then return to the store. And even then I try to be very low key about having them with me.

My dogs spend their days hiking with me, playing with other dogs, and rolling in horse poop. Not exactly Paris Hilton type stuff. But to the outsider who might see me in a store, they think I'm trying to be like Paris. Kind of funny because I couldn't be less like Paris if I tried! :p

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I'm the lazy owner. Other people would see a dog on the couch, who doesn't walk directly by my side 100% of the time, and who is allowed to do what he wants. Fortunately, this does not mean he is badly behaved.

I allow him on the couch because he has a bum leg, and the hardwood floor hurts him. Plus I'm cheap, so no reason to buy a 50 dollar dog bed when he loves the couch.

He walks in front of me, but doesn't pull. I also allow it because he is a guard dog, so he likes to be aware of everything around us. If he does pull, he's put back into a heel until he stops.

He is vocal with other dogs..but only when they try to hump him or climb on him, and he NEVER actually bites, just sounds and looks scary.:)

·
Banned
1,934 Posts
I'm the owner that pampers her dogs. They only eat holistic food and drink bottled water. They have a million toys and sleep in bed with me. There are no off limits places in our home. They use puppy pads so they don't have to go to the bathroom in the rain or extreme cold. That said, they do have to have manners. I will never tolerate a yappy, snappy little dog. From the beginning I train them to accept handling and what I say goes. They walk beside me on the leash, aren't allowed to nuisance bark, have to "wait" for their food, stuff like that. So I guess I'm a strange combination of owner styles.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Im not sure...

I am often told I appear threatening at first glance when I walk the dog. I wear a lot of black. I have piercings. I wear boots and am often a bit dirty....and im walking a pit bull.

that's how it appears at first glance...

then once people get to know me a little bit I become "defender of the bullies" .

and then if they really get to know me, they realize im just a huge nerd. and dogs happen to be one of the things im really nerdy about.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
LOL. I'm not sure...probably behaviour geek. Definitely the "Rosedale Dog Lady"..many folks that I see on the street in the hood don't recognize me at first if I'm without at least one dog.

I have strict expectations of behaviour for my dogs (Cracker AND the dogs I walk/train)but also am aware that this is a training issue and that it is not fair to expect a dog to behave a certain way without showing them what it is that I expect.

I expect Cracker to ride the transit system calmly and under control. I expect her to not bark at others (though it does happen occasionally) and I expect her to play nice at the park. She's a work in progress (as am I, shouldn't we ALL be?).

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I think I'm the "just one more" lady....I don't think I have that many, but 4 dogs and 2 cats is apparently a huge number to most people. Friends, co-workers, neighbors and customers are always trying to give me dogs they can't keep and saying things like, "You have four already, what's the difference?"

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm the "my dog is my life" owner lol. I live, breathe and plan things around my dog, sometimes too much @[email protected] My male had a show when my best friend got married, its awful I asked him if maybe he could move the date or make the reception a little later... ;) well the dog missed the show and I went to the wedding but I've never been forgiven :p

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I'm the "When I die, I want to come back as one of your dogs" lady. People can't believe how much time, money, thought and energy I put into my dogs. My life revolves around them. I have more movies and pictures of my dogs than everything else put together. People always ask me how the dogs are. They are unaware that we also have cats. LOL

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
If you were to see Basil and me, you'd probably label me as the girly girl that spoils her dog and can't get over how cute he is XD Hes a Papillon, he has a couple shirts, bandanas, cute harness, etc. He doesn't march at a heel position as if he were in the military, he can kind of go where he wants, but he never pulls and I always have complete control over him. I also get a lot of flak about not being stern enough when giving commands, which I think is sort of stupid. A lot of people sort of yell commands at their dog, while I use a calm, normal volume voice like I would use while addressing a human. It's about intensity and not volume (anyone who was in Band may remember their director constantly asking for less volume and more intensity :D) After all, my goal isn't to startle the dog.

Also, I'm kind of a health nut, so I'm always on about his nutrition, so he may appear spoiled in that aspect, hehe. I believe spoiling brings bad behavior, though, so Basil isn't spoiled. And I would like to say Basil eats better then my boyfriend and me, but that's a lie, whe eat pretty healthy, too :D

But yeah, Basil is my world, lol! I don't plan on ever having kids, I definitely prefer dogs. Oh, and I really can't get over how cute Basil is, sometimes I'll just look at him and start laughing, lol!! He usually looks back at me as if to say "Whoa, craaaazzy lady alert..."

Heh, I think certain types of dogs attract certain owners, too! Herders and sporting breeds always seem to be paired with an Obediance/training nut, hounds go with the easy-going, fun-lovin' type, sighthounds go with athletes, short legged dogs go with jolly and round people, etc. etc... :D

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Im not sure...

I am often told I appear threatening at first glance when I walk the dog. I wear a lot of black. I have piercings. I wear boots and am often a bit dirty....and im walking a pit bull.

that's how it appears at first glance...

then once people get to know me a little bit I become "defender of the bullies" .

and then if they really get to know me, they realize im just a huge nerd. and dogs happen to be one of the things im really nerdy about.

A black-clothed nerdy lady that loves dogs?

Why can't I meet any of those when walking Wally :D

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'm the "I can't get enough of her" Mama. I'm just head over heels for our Stella....everything she does is so cute to me! She's so playful and affectionate! I love it when she jumps up on the sofa to snuggle with me or to get a tummy rub.

I love my Stella!!!

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I'm a complete frickin dog nerd. I love every article from breed origins to learning theory. I lovelovelove spending time in specialty dog stores looking at all the neat things I can't afford yet. And above all, I love training new and exciting things. I have high standards for dog manners and obedience. Guess that makes me strict...lol

I'd say I'm the 'love dogs more than people' dog owner.
I was visiting my grandmother with Kaki a few months back when my grandma saw Kaki on the couch. She later called my mom to say,"Can you believe her? Letting that dog on the couch!". My mom said,"Well DUH! She loves that dog more than most people".:p

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I'm the "treats the dog like family" lady, which, from my perspective is just as it should be. From others, not so much. Some people can't believe how we schedule our lives around our dog and refuse to leave her home alone for long periods of time. And I won't ignore her when we're out and about. If my dog is with me and you want to talk to me, be prepared for a lot of interruptions in the conversation, just like I would act if I had a frisky 3-year old child in tow. If you call me on the phone and Poca is doing something really cute, you're going to hear about it!

People don't get that. Most seem to want my dog to disappear until I'm done with whatever it is I'm doing vs. incorporating her into things. It's been my experience that these are the same people who would bring their kids over my house and let them run wild while they socialize with the adults. I'm always the one who ends up running after the kids and making sure they're entertained and don't hurt themselves. Same thing with dogs. Just can't ignore them. I have rugs and I have a dog. I think there's a difference, don't you? ;)

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
How would everyone classify me?? :rolleyes:

First of all, I would love to be the type of owner that just has a dog that's a babbling idiot! lol! I'd love to have that type dog, but I love order and discipline too much for that to ever happen.

My family probably thinks I'm such a bit** because of the way I boss Donatello around. I get on him for staring at them when they're eating; (Why? Because I hate begging dogs, even dogs that just beg with their eyes gets under my skin. I think it's rude, I don't like it done to me, so I don't let my dogs do it to other people.) I make him sit and wait for permission before jumping on the sofa, I think it's rude and before I started doing it that way Donatello was under the assumption he was giving me permission to sit on his sofa. -.- Not gonna happen!

However, we don't do training a lot, I mean- Every day, even if it's for a few minutes we run down his list of tricks. I pull out one of those horrible Beggin' Strips, just one, and break it into as many pieces as I can, and he shows me what he can do until there's no more...

We don't go on "walks" together, we just don't. I don't like my neighborhood, nor do I trust the people in it. (I just now, five minutes ago, got into a cussing match with someone speaking Spanish because his off-leash dog was rushing Donatello and Donatello tried attacking.) See why I don't bother taking him on walks? No one else follows the leash-laws and then I have to break up dog-fights! :mad:

But, lastly... We are utterly, uncontrollably, irreversibly, unconditionally in love with each other. Who ever I meet, who ever I talk to, even my mother says, "That dog loves you. No doubt about it." My family doesn't see it much, but Donatello and I hug on each other, and I smother his sweet face in kisses. I tell him he's "my boy". There's a bond between us that makes everyone raise their eyebrows, "How do you get a dog to love you so much." I just smile and say, "I really couldn't tell you that." (I really can't, I don't know.)

So what kind of "dog owner" am I? A schmorgisborg?

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm the 21 year old girl who has 5 dogs and no social life :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Im the lonely girl... :p

My husband is deployed and I dont know many people where I live (military base), so mostly they only see me when I'm walking Ruby, alone, in the evening. I tend to drive over to my friends houses rather than them coming to me, whereas most of my neighbors have visitors everynight. I also talk to Ruby as though she would answer me (I dont expect her to... remember, Im the lonely one, not the crazy one :rolleyes: )

I'm actually not at all lonely, but im pretty sure I appear that way to my neighbors

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm the 21 year old girl who has 5 dogs and no social life :)
lol, I agree with this. I'm 27 with no kids and would rather spend time with my dogs than most people.

As to my own label: stuck at the hip. I work at home and my dogs are rarely alone (about 5 hours a week tops).

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would be the "redneck" owner if there is such a thing.I lay in the floor with my dogs piled around me to watch tv.I sleep with at least a couple and I always have a dog or two with me when I go out.I also raise rabbits and feed the excess to the dogs on occasion, cooked or raw(yes I butcher them myself).My house probably smells like dogs to those that have none im sure.My furniture is chewed by dogs(italians love to pick at holes then pull out stuffing) or scratched by cats,Yes Ive repaired it but its never the same again.I dont intend to buy "new" furniture ever. My dogs get to run free in the fields around our house and yes they occasionally eat kittycrunchys(yuck). They also roll in stuff and chase squirrels.Im not strict with the dogs as long as they dont fight or potty in the house. Just a few basic rules so we can all live together peacefully.I do have a few neighbors that probably think Im crazy when I take all 6 out together to have a run.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts