Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this idea from another thread on another forum, historic breeds photos, i'd love to see them, here are mine... sorry there arent many, had a hard time finding these LOL.

Hope they work... the last one is of the stumpy tailed cattle dog, both breeds are fairly similar tho. I love my breed :) :) :)

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Ch. Strathtay Prince Albert (BIS at Westminster in 1913)

I will have to search for more, and of weimaraners, I just had this one in my photobucket.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
The ancestors of the white Swiss Shepherd, GSDs with white coats:

I believe that photo was taken somewhere in the 1930s.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Border Collies

·
Registered
37 Posts
Since Borders have been covered, I'll post some Aussies!

Most of these come from WorkingAussieSource.com

Boy is that a familiar sight, haha. (Shelby 'heads' other dogs a lot. Looks scary, but she never makes contact.)

And this one is from the beginning of the book Marley and Me by John Grogan. Of course, Marley was a handful that John didn't expect, since he was comparing him to his childhood dog, Shaun, who came from a random farm. I read the whole passage about Shaun thinking how much he sounded like my own dog and my childhood dog Bebe who, in retrospect, was also probably an Aussie cross. I turned the page and saw the picture and lo and behold:

Yeah, that picture kind of speaks for itself!!

There was plenty of interbreeding between Aussies and Borders, as well as other herding breeds, right through the 70's and even today on farms where people don't care about papers, just working ability.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Great Dane:

German Pinscher: This is of a Doberman, however, with the exception of a difference between height and weight the over all look was the same.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Queen Victoria's Dash

Dash was the name of Queen Victoria’s beloved Tricolor Cavalier. Dash’s tombstone is inscribed with the following message written by the Queen herself:

"Here lies Dash, the favorite spaniel of Her Majesty Queen Victoria, by whose command this memorial was erected.
He died on the 20thDecember 1840 in his ninth year. His attachment was without selfishness, his playfulness without malice, his fidelity without deceit.

Reader, if you would live beloved and die regretted, profit by the example of Dash.”
dash-commissioned-by-her-mother-1836-with-text.jpg

Ann's Son, the "first new Cavalier"

In 1928, the dog named Ann's Son, owned by Mrs. Amice Pitt became the standard for the breed. He was never beaten in his show career. He contributed greatly to the development of the "Resurrected" Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Ann's Son almost missed this, for in his younger days he was sold to an actress. She found him so destructive, however, that she returned him and exchanged him for a Pomeranian. And so, Ann's Son became the foundation stone upon which the new breed was built. From him, came Champion Daywell Roger, the first champion in the breed and the sire of eleven champions. Most Cavaliers go back to this line.
ann_s_son_3.jpg

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Found a few paintings:

This one kind of creeps me out, lol

Reminds me of a long-haired chi:

From the early 1900s

·
Registered
933 Posts
And just because Riley is said to be a Lab/Bernese mix here are a couple more:

Bernese Mountain Dog:

Labrador Retriever:

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Heidi, Dwight Eisenhower's Weim

Some old french bulldog photos

All but one are frenchies, the one is a miniature bulldog

The miniature bulldog, foundation of the French Bulldog (yes bulldogs came in different sizes)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts

1879 Borzoi, 'Flock'.

1897 Borzoi.

1898 Borzoi and Japanese Chin.

1899 Borzoi.

I really like these old Borzoi, their coat seems... less furnished(?) than nowadays.

1902 Afghan hound.

1903 Afghan hounds picture.

1898 Beagles.

And a few mountain breeds!

1897 Maremmano-Abruzzeses
1885_SaintBernard.jpg
1885 Saint Bernard (! I wouldn't have recognized this one as a Saint!)

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's amazing how some breeds have changed so little over the centuries lol here are a few more...

Anatolian shepherd dog (we did have one of those, he came with the goats :) )

Dogo argentino:

Cane corso:

One of my face breeds :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts