Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Nellies Golden Butthole.

Well, it SHOULD be made of gold at least. Anal glands abscessed, things got real gross, nearly $800 bucks later and everything was said and done. She had a shaved butt for a few months, which I made fun of her for.

Between both girls, we also battled an e-spay, mammary tumor removal and one nasty UTI in 2013 which all together added up was probably near $2000. Here's to an uneventful 2014!

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
$1000+ for a misdiagnosis from his regular vet and $5000 for 6 days in the Hospital for Leeo's necrotizing pancreatitis.

·
Registered
330 Posts
The most I have spent have spent on my animals was about $80. Was for Jax, getting an exam, his last puppy shot and rabbies last year. So far he hasn't had any health issues since I have had him, thankfully, so I haven't had to really go to the vet and spend anymore than that.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Man my numbers feel huge compared to you guys... Then I factor in where you guys live and I'm in a high cost of living area and you are not.
lol yea. I even moved to a less expensive area than where I grew up, and my bills are still way higher, or I just have worse luck :)

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
In one visit? My dog, Jake, was at the vets for a week on pain meds when he had the calcified disc that ultimately killed him. The bill was well over $1,000.

Otherwise, I had a myco virus break out in my rat colony a while back, that went to $500 collectively for exams and medication. And that was per visit... I'm soooo paranoid about that crap coming back.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
We overreacted and thought Annabel had an obstruction a month or two after we got her. $1200 for X-rays, IV fluids, and two overnights at the emergency vet. Her intestines were really swollen, but there didn't seem to be any reason for it (no obstruction, anyway), but I think having her on the IV fluids was worth is because she was dehydrating FAST. Anyway, insurance covered most of it.

We have the insurance because she is a giant breed prone to hip and elbow issues and I'd just rather be safe than sorry. The monthly fee is easier on our budget than one big emergency payment would be.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
About 4 years ago, the largest vet cost was around $2K for a two-and-a-half-night emergency stay (longest two nights of my life) for something that sounds like "camping lobster". Some intestinal bug - from the raw marrow bones I was giving her :(
I have pet insurance now, and thankfully haven't had to use it!

Nellies Golden Butthole.

Well, it SHOULD be made of gold at least. Anal glands abscessed, things got real gross, nearly $800 bucks later and everything was said and done. She had a shaved butt for a few months, which I made fun of her for.

Between both girls, we also battled an e-spay, mammary tumor removal and one nasty UTI in 2013 which all together added up was probably near $2000. Here's to an uneventful 2014!
aaawwwww...baboon butt! LOL

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
About 4 years ago, the largest vet cost was around $2K for a two-and-a-half-night emergency stay (longest two nights of my life) for something that sounds like "camping lobster". Some intestinal bug - from the raw marrow bones I was giving her :(
I have pet insurance now, and thankfully haven't had to use it!
Was it campylobacter? A camping lobster would probably be more fun.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
2011 was an expensive year for us. He had a stomach issue which landed him at the vets overnight (of course it happened on a Sunday, so couldn't go to regular vet, and unfortunately looking back, I was entirely ripped off but that's another story). Anyway, that was about $1300 overall (we went in periodically throughout the week for bloodwork and sub-q fluids). Then, later that year, he had to have surgery on a tooth due to his slight over-bite, it was called a vital pulpotomy. Was nearly $1500 if I recall.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
I've been *so* incredibly lucky in this department. Yesterday was Kit's 5th gotcha day. So far I've only dealt with routine checkups, vaccines, and parasite prevention. Almost unheard of, especially considering the relatively high-risk sports that we participate in.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
$1863 for one visit. Tucker, the dog as my avatar, had to go to the MA vet referral hospital to see a neurologist, internist and ophthalmologist. Cost that much, we were there about four hours.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The most I have spent on the dogs is about $150, when Pixie injured her eye and needed eye drops.

The most expensive vet bill ever was for one of our cats. He has no road sense at all, so he's an indoor cat. But one night he slipped out and didn't return until the next morning, and it turned out he had been hit by a car. We took him to the vet, who found a ligament injury in his pelvis. We thought he got lucky and didn't give it anymore though. Then 3 weeks later we found a tennis ball sized lump on his abdomen. Apparently fluid had been leaking through some muscle damage, and it was making him very uncomfortable. He's normally a sociable cat, but he was hissing and growling at us (and at nothing in particular, at times). So he had to have an ultrasound and surgery to fix the muscle injury. Total: $1500.

Which isn't too bad now that I've read some of the other replies here.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts