Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I have a chi that is about 3 days away from her due date and is already producing milk. The neighbors have a pitbull which had a young kitten in its mouth yesterday. I thought it was dead at first but despite the fact that it was being caried around like a chew toy, it was okay. I took it in and gave it a bath and warmed it up. It appears to be 4-5 weeks of age. I searched for a mother or other kittens but I haven't been successful in figuring out just where this little gal came from. The weird thing is that my chi has taken to mothering it. I separated them because I don't know if this is healthy for either animal. I have been feeding the little kitten soft kitten food. So my question is will it be okay for my dog to continue mothering the kitten or should I keep them separate since newborns are on the way?

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I have seen many news stories of dogs nursing orphaned kittens. It should be fine (even after your chi has the pups, as long as there are enough teats for everyone and you watch carefully to make sure everyone gets enough nourishment). I'd check with the vet if you want to be sure. The kitten won't be nursing for much longer. If it's 4-5 weeks old, it should have teeth. You can try it on kitten food (not puppy food! It doesn't have enough protein for cats) pretty much anytime, although you can let it keep nursing for as long as it wants. Complete weaning usually happens around six to eight weeks, I think.

Edited to add: Separate the kitten from the dog when she is actually giving birth, and reintroduce it slowly once all the pups are out. I would definitely ask your vet or a good breeder for any tips or guidelines.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
My only concern is whether the kitten could get the Colostrum so there isn't enough forthe puppies, to give them a healthy immune system. I'd ask your vet about that specifically. Otherwise, separate during whelping. Then it should be ok. Just make sure you are feeding the kitten, kitten food.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. For the moment I am probably gonna keep them separated. I am giving the kitten a soft food for kittens and it seems to be eating well. I always have puppies checked out the morning after they are born and I will talk to my vet about it and probably get the kitten checked out as well. Again thank you for the advice. I am still gonna let them interact just not let the kitten nurse.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
If it's 4-5 weeks old it doesn't need to nurse, you can start weaning the kitten by making a mush of kitten food and kitten formula (both can be found at any pet store).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts