Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We started walking our dog on leash when she was still very young (she is now almost 2 years old), and regularly take her for walks (as well as plenty of other exercise). She is very submissive in general, going behind us through doors, not getting into things that aren't given to her, waiting for her food, staying off furniture, not jumping, etc. However on walks we have trouble - if I walk very fast or jog she stays next to me with little problem - however any slower pace and she will not stay by my side for more than a few seconds at a time when corrected before shooting forward again, no matter how many times she is corrected - when forward she does not usually pull - however she is walking out in front. She will stop on command no matter whether next to or in front, so is listening to that. This is no matter how much or how little exercise she has had (though it is somewhat worse on the occasions she is very excited from less exercise). She is quite literally tireless - we take her backpacking where she will carry her own pack, walk and run all day over 10 miles at high elevation, through deep snow, anything, and still play tirelessly at night at the campsite. She does a mile almost every day up & down hill at an average of 15mph. Any suggestions for the walk? We got her from a rescue at 4 months old - she is mixed breed, definitely part husky and likely also american bulldog - she tends to be somewhat independent at times- but unlike a husky is safe off leash where allowed as she is very dependent on her pack and will not go far and always comes back. In case it helps to know her other traits: Very territorial towards other dogs that intrude into her area uninvited at home, but always accepts any dog we bring or invite into her territory. Also accepts invited humans - but is shy and takes a long time to be friendly/warm up to these guests.

hoping for some tips!

~Desperate energetic dog owner

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Why do you want her to stay right next to you? I think "heeling" or having the dog right at your heel is important for dogs that are in competition. But, there are lots of folks here that don't require their dog(s) walking right next to them. If she responds, and isn't pulling, I wouldn't worry.

Walking ahead of you isn't her trying to be dominant, just in case that's what you're thinking. Dogs just have different paces, not all dogs walk naturally at the same speed. Plus, on a walk there is so much stimulation, things that dogs notice that we don't: things to see, smell, hear, etc. Their mind is going full speed ahead. So, the darting ahead, as long as she's not pulling and there's slack in the leash, that wouldn't bother me.

Do a search for "loose leash walking", that may help you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well you hear conflicting things about whether its really necessary or not - and who knows which is right, I tend to agree with you though since she is submissive in other aspects of life - but my main reason for wanting her to heel is because she is very reactive to the world around her - and she is big (85lbs) and very strong, so it is easier to control and react to her if she is closer to me on a walk - in case of being somewhere without sidewalks and a car is going by, or if a passing dog gets agressive and she reacts, etc.

Thanks,
Megan

1 - 3 of 3 Posts