Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We recently got a young dog from my cousins, who are the typical 'get a puppy, love it when it's a puppy, hate it and give it away when it's an adult' kind of people. He's under a year old, and he's a great dane.

I'm home throughout the day because I do classes online, and we have a gate separating half our house, so he's not able to come in the end of the house with bedrooms and such.

He's been prone to eating anything and everything- not even items on desks are safe, since he can reach it easily. He also can't come back in this half of the house during the day since he has a tendency to sprint all around, knocking tvs and things over. We let him back during the night since he sleeps well.

Anyways! I'm rambling. During the day, he howls and cries nonstop. We have two other dogs so he's not lonely, but he cries and cries until someone goes out and spends time with him. Is it better to go out and comfort him during this time, or should I let him adapt? I wasn't sure if comforting him would be like 'coddling' and encourage the behavior so I wanted to ask.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Lots of info about this online. The basics for your coming and going is first to make it be no big deal. No saying goodbye. No responding to an excited dog when you get home. Wait until he's completely calm to acknowledge him. Given that you're around the house, you can start leaving for short periods and practice all of it. Just google the topic. There's a lot of resources out there.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
Don't give him any attention when he's crying. This will encourage him to do it more. Practice leaving him alone for 30 seconds, 1 minute, 5 minutes, and gradually increase the time. Do not return when he's barking. You leave for 30 seconds, return (before he barks), treat. Leave for 1 minute, return, treat, etc. If he shows anxiety at any interval of time then go back and start with a smaller amount of time. Give him kongs filled with food to keep him occupied.

This is an outline of how to do desensitizing. It details how to practice leaving the house but you can change it to closing the door or gate and walking away from where ever you keep the dog
http://www.whole-dog-journal.com/issues/15_9/features/Desensitizing-Protocol-and-Separation-Anxiety_20604-1.html

If you are still having trouble then I would recommend seeing a veterinary behaviorist.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts