Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Older posters will reference this song (Beatles, circa God knows when).

But this is actually a serious post about a heart-worm preventative called "Revolution" aka, Selamectin. It also prevents other problems like ear mites, etc. It doesn't seem to be used as extensively in the USA as in other countries such as Australia and some European countries, based on comments I have read on this forum. It's not cheap - around $16.00 per monthly application

I've used it for nearly three years for Plume. It's a topical liquid that is meant to be applied to her skin. Until recently, no problem. I part her fur and squirt in onto her skin. She's never loved it but never really hated it either.

Bit the last few months, she really seems to be in discomfort over it. She gets zoomy and paces and has a hard time settling down afterwards.

I gave her her monthly dosage tonight and worried over her reaction. She paced to and fro, sniffed and circled, laid down for a minute in one area and then sought out another area to repeat the behavoiur in several areas. She seems slightly settled now, but I wonder if I'm doing more harm than help.

Could harsh chemicals be burning her skin? Making her itch? Does anyone know anything that I don't about Revolution and whether it might cause discomfort or life-threatening issues for dogs? Perhaps I should switch to another preventative? Any suggestions as to which are good and effective?

Sorry for the long post. I just want my dog to be protected and not to be in discomfort in the name of protection.

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
I don't know about Revolution, but I am pretty sure that harsh chemicals can indeed 'burn' the skin and make it itch. Some dogs just don't react to it well.

We use cdvet, a natural anti-flee&tick preventative. This also needs to be applied directly onto the skin, but it has never caused strange reactions. I use this natural preventative because I don't feel comfortable using harsh chemicals.

But anti-flee&tick is different from heartworm preventative I guess. We don't have heartworms here and don't need preventatives against it, luckily.

Another thought: maybe she behaved strangely because she sensed your worries and was affected by it? Just throwing it out there.

Edit: I think the shelter where I worked in Spain used this stuff. The boxes look familiar.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I have used revolution on my larger dogs with no issues. I use Frontline Plus on the little ones.

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Ah, now I have the song in my head, lol! But back on topic, I've never heard of Revolution, but there are certain ingredients that some dogs get allergic too. You could look up the ingredients if you wish. Luke was allergic to two flea/tick medications (Advantix 2 and PetArmor--an offshoot of Frontline), he would scratch like crazy where finally we had to take him into our vet. Darn, I would really like to know the ingredients in which Revolution has.

Luke can't use any more flea/tick medications. Our vet recommended that he just wear a flea collar and if we're going anywhere where there's wooded area to buy a special kind of tick collar (I forget the name of it, but I have it written down). I've heard quite a few people actually don't use their flea/tick meds, so if you don't want to (I'd go to your vet first and ask) I wouldn't use anything unless you're going to a wooded area for vacation or recreation.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thanks for the song! I don't know about Revolution, but I do know that any medication can cause reactions at any time, no matter how long you've taken it. I was taking a medication for seizures for 5 years without a problem and then started getting a side effect out of nowhere. I was dizzy and it took a month before an ER doc (I fell at work and they called an ambulance) pointed out that it was a side effect of the medication and that even after 5 years, they can pop up. I stopped that med and switched to another and was fine.

So if you think Revolution is causing her problems, switch to another medication. You may want to go with an pill as opposed to another liquid. I'm guessing most liquids use the same base (the nonmedication part) and that could be what's bothering your dog. A lot of people who think they're allergic to a certain medication are actually reacting to something else in the pill. So I'd avoid the whole potential problem and use a pill instead.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
In the past I used Revolution and liked it quite well. At least, I can't think of any complaints and we used it for maybe two years? Of course, I don't go year round, and I live in a strange vortex in my city where we have NEVER had a flea or a tick issue, even when we go on a trail.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Our vet recommended Revolution for Gunther when we first got him. We didn't have any problems with it other than trying to get him to hold still long enough to get it on his skin. I've since switched him to Trifexis, which is a 3 in 1 pill (heartworms, fleas, and other intestinal parasites). It's kind of a expensive too (I pay 17 dollars a month for a pill for dogs 60-120 pounds). I've also heard some people have trouble getting their dogs to eat it, but mine takes it like a treat. I've noticed no side effects from it so far, but like with any medication, you have to keep a watch. All dogs react differently.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, you two.

TWAB, out of curiosity, what made you stop Revolution after two years? Better alternative? Cost issue? No need for it in your perfect storm vortex?

Ben, I'll look into Trifexis. It may not be available in China, but I'll do some checking.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't know about Revolution, but I can throw out an uninformed, quack theory :)

I gave my dog topical Advantage flea treatment 10 years ago by skin application similar to what you described. It was oily and messy, and my dog seemed to show a dislike of the application for about 5 min. However, I didn't see a location issue - no rash, no scratching, or rubbing in grass, which might indicate irritation. Instead, he more appeared to act as if he didn't like the "taste." This could also have been a lack of knowledge of Calming Signals on my part, but it went on for a few minutes rather than a few moments.

I currently use Frontline Plus for fleas. It is not oily and it absorbed cleanly and quickly (No, I am not being paid for this advertisement :) )

So, my uninformed opinion and overgeneralization is that the chemical that helps skin absorption is different for Advantage and for Frontline, and that the Frontline chemical is gentler ... Maybe there's a similar thing going on with Revolution.... Or maybe I'm completely wrong... not the first time and surely won't be the last... but my opinion is free :)

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Like Hanksimon said, it doesn't sound like physical irritation as much as it does maybe the smell/taste of it. Bella does the same thing when I spray her with something she hates (like topical meds etc). She paces, licks her lips, circles around and looks generally miserable.

Maybe a tiny drop of the flea med got away and squirted near her face or nose? If it was physically irritating her skin, she would probably be trying to scratch or bite at the area, or the skin would look irritated.

I use Frontline Plus as well - doesn't seem to bother Bella in the least.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hank, I've always respected your opinions and appreciate your thoughts. You've given me something to think about. There was no itching or rubbing. Just a sense of discomfort emanating from her which didn't sit well with me. Not to mention her. Could be oils or could be chemicals. I purchased two months worth of Revolution over the last weekend and applied the one soon after. I have half a mind to see if I can get a refund or change it to something more gentle for her with a tit for tat exchange - and I don't really care all that much whether money is returned or not.

Plume's health and well-being are far more important to me than a few dollars or RMB.

Thank you and you don't sound a bit quackish to me.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I appreciate it.

Should be possible to give the Vet a phone call to ask his opinion about the dog's reaction with Revolution ...

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bella, I missed your post as I was replying to Hank. You make a good point. It could be the smell. I'm not so sure about taste as I apply it just over and behind her neck where I don't think she could get her tongue. But yes, it may have been a bit of a misdirection in the application.

Still, if I had to guess, I'd be thinking about smell. This dog of mine has quite the keen nose. She may have decided that she's had enough of the nasty smell (one I certainly can't detect). "No thanks," she may be saying, "I'm not loving the smell. Even your nasty floral perfume smells better than this stank you're putting on me."

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I appreciate it.

Should be possible to give the Vet a phone call to ask his opinion about the dog's reaction with Revolution ...
I will do that, Hank. And now, I have to get the heck off DF and get some much-needed sleep. I have some very tiny kids to teach tomorrow. Plus a not so tiny dog to care for.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Thanks, you two.

TWAB, out of curiosity, what made you stop Revolution after two years? Better alternative? Cost issue? No need for it in your perfect storm vortex?
Butt ton of dogs. I use ivermectin for HW preventative and Bug Off Garlic (the vortex has not required any thing stronger) and am pleased. Jonas and Elsa still take vet bought preventative, one because Jonas is too small for me to be comfortable pulling his dose of ivermectin, and Elsa because she got a years supply HW preventative for free with her HW treatment.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts