Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got laid off, Hamilton, my 8 m/o doxie mix, and I have been going to the park early in the day for a nice long walk. We used to just go after work in the evenings, where we saw the same people all the time and he has a bunch of dog friends he likes to play with. (He actually insists on looking for them when we go early, and is disappointed when they aren't there)

Today we were at the park and walking around, and there was a guy sitting with his rather large golden retriever, who was laying on the ground. I said hello as we walked by, and his dog suddenly jumped up and, for lack of a better word, pounced Hamilton - which totally freaked him out. The dog was friendly, and wasn't trying to hurt him, but it was sudden and unexpected and the other dog was much bigger. Hamilton backed off behind me away from the other dog, and the guy asked how old he was, and I said eight months, and he said "You really need to socialize your dog." I told him he just doesn't like being quickly approached by large dogs he doesn't know, and the guy went on about how it's a good thing he's still young so I can still socialize him. After being surprised, Ham did go and sniff the other dog, then backed off again and wanted to keep walking. He didn't growl or show teeth or go after the dog or anything. I was really annoyed at this guy's comments. I've taken great pains to socialize my dog, and I think he does really well with other dogs.

Is it just me, or is it HIS dog who needs to learn some manners??

·
Registered
891 Posts
Sounds like both that dog and his human need to learn some manners. It's rude to let your dog just go flying up to someone. Molly can, at times, be a VERY enthusiastic greeter so I always ask if it's okay to say hello before I let her approach any unfamiliar & even then I try to control her enthusiasm a bit so she doesn't overwhelm anyone.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
His dog is going to learn a painful lesson about dog manners at some point.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
Since I got laid off, Hamilton, my 8 m/o doxie mix, and I have been going to the park early in the day for a nice long walk. We used to just go after work in the evenings, where we saw the same people all the time and he has a bunch of dog friends he likes to play with. (He actually insists on looking for them when we go early, and is disappointed when they aren't there)

Today we were at the park and walking around, and there was a guy sitting with his rather large golden retriever, who was laying on the ground. I said hello as we walked by, and his dog suddenly jumped up and, for lack of a better word, pounced Hamilton - which totally freaked him out. The dog was friendly, and wasn't trying to hurt him, but it was sudden and unexpected and the other dog was much bigger. Hamilton backed off behind me away from the other dog, and the guy asked how old he was, and I said eight months, and he said "You really need to socialize your dog." I told him he just doesn't like being quickly approached by large dogs he doesn't know, and the guy went on about how it's a good thing he's still young so I can still socialize him. After being surprised, Ham did go and sniff the other dog, then backed off again and wanted to keep walking. He didn't growl or show teeth or go after the dog or anything. I was really annoyed at this guy's comments. I've taken great pains to socialize my dog, and I think he does really well with other dogs.

Is it just me, or is it HIS dog who needs to learn some manners??
This is going around. Remember my 'how friendly do you expect your dogs to be with strangers?'. Something about retriever owners who expect every other dog in the world to behave like theirs, or something.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Unsolicited dog advice... don't you just love it? I kind of sigh now and try to forget about it, because I don't have time to explain to people why their advice is bad, and they don't want to hear it anyway.

I love the "He Just Wants to Say Hi!" article that sassafras linked. It should be required reading for all dog owners.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Since I got laid off, Hamilton, my 8 m/o doxie mix, and I have been going to the park early in the day for a nice long walk.
Getting laid off from work can be very stressfull...or very relaxing (depending on you financial situation)

I had a few months of unemployment about 2 years ago...

Much like you...I enjoyed the time off , I took my dogs for walks in parks and around lakes .
We enjoyed a lot of time together, It was great!!

Eventually I had to back to work ...

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Getting laid off from work can be very stressfull...or very relaxing (depending on you financial situation)

I had a few months of unemployment about 2 years ago...

Much like you...I enjoyed the time off , I took my dogs for walks in parks and around lakes .
We enjoyed a lot of time together, It was great!!

Eventually I had to back to work ...
Work was pissing me off anyway. lol. I was glad when our grant ran out of funding! I'm planning on getting my dissertation written and finally finishing my PhD. My husband has a job, and we deliberately live below our means, so it's not stressful for us! Hamilton sure loves having me home all day every day!! He's getting spoiled.

·
Banned
964 Posts
Work was pissing me off anyway. lol. I was glad when our grant ran out of funding! I'm planning on getting my dissertation written and finally finishing my PhD. My husband has a job, and we deliberately live below our means, so it's not stressful for us! Hamilton sure loves having me home all day every day!! He's getting spoiled.
Dogs are Awesome!
They dont understand our finacial problems..They just like being around us.
(That guy in the park sucks..)

·
Registered
482 Posts
HIS dog is the one that needs more socialization...the real kind, that includes manners. I agree that it seems to be going around and is most common in retriever owners for some reason. Goldens and Labs do tend to be very enthusiastic and friendly and that's not a bad thing, but it does put the burden on the owner to teach them how to approach other dogs politely, dogs who might not appreciate their brand of friendliness. Most owners seem to be more interested in blaming everyone else for having "unsocialized dogs" rather than dealing with their own dog's behavior.

I like to think of it in human terms...how would most of us feel about the big, friendly, extroverted guy at a bus stop who came running up and started hugging and kissing us? We'd be offended and think he was nuts, he might get a restraining order slapped on him or end up in jail...don't know why dog culture should be any different. Not everyone wants to be loved aggressively by strangers ;).

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Kabota was approached by two off leash dogs today. Two in one day! Fortunately, he's not leash reactive and was happy to interact, but he's iffy with intact males lately, and both were female. I could have been leashed to a dog fight. Twice. Both owners said, "she's really friendly". That's great, you don't know if my dog is.

This happened between my first post and this post. Unreal.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My puppy is the same way when he gets suprised by to many dogs at once or by bigger dogs. We go to the dog park twice a week and he has puppy training classes, so my dog is being sociliazed. The guy who said that to you is obviously rude and doesn't know much. Smaller dogs can become overwhelmed by bigger dogs, people with bigger dogs need to manage their dogs properly so they don't injure smaller dogs.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The parade of idiot dog owners continues!!

My husband and I just got back from taking Hamilton on a walk around the neighborhood. There's a nice loop of side streets across the street from us that we like to walk Hamilton because it's quiet and there aren't many cars. We were on the way back on the last long, straight stretch and a woman walks out from a side street ahead of us with a little dog not much bigger than Ham. Hamilton, of course, starts wagging his tail like a mad man and gets all happy to see another dog, but we stop him and make him wait so the other dog can get ahead. The woman stops in the middle of the road ahead of us and says "he's not good with other dogs, especially males" and I said "Ok, well we live up ahead so why don't you keep walking and we'll hang back" and she stares at me, doesn't reel the dog in on his extendaleash AT ALL, and warns me again all annoyed that he doesn't like other dogs, but won't move. We shortened Hamilton's leash and had him heel all the way over to one side of the road, meanwhile, the other woman still doesn't even shorten the dogs leash so he's straining like crazy trying to get at Hamilton as we pass. We just kept him going straight ahead until we were a fair distance ahead... but srsly guys... WHAT THE HELL?? If you're walking your mean dog, and you will neither hold him close or get out of the way or walk ahead when another dog is coming - what do you expect the other person to do??? I wasn't just going to stand there all day with my well mannered dog while she blocked the road.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Oh god, that reminds me of a time that I was leaving out my back gate with Squash and Maisy, and there was someone walking down the alley with their DA dog on a flexi, using a chuck-it to throw a ball and letting it run out to the end to get it. Well the ball ended up rolling up to us (we're still on our own property at this point, as we have a parking spot on the alley behind the fence/gate) and the guy is standing there with his dog going nuts (which he did thankfully have reeled in at the time), and my dogs start to go nuts in return. He just stood there repeating "My... my ball" until I suggested "why don't you walk down a little further the alley and I'll kick it to you, then we'll walk the other way?" to which he replied "My... my ball" one more time before taking something like 5 steps away. :/

·
Registered
222 Posts
The parade of idiot dog owners continues!!

My husband and I just got back from taking Hamilton on a walk around the neighborhood. There's a nice loop of side streets across the street from us that we like to walk Hamilton because it's quiet and there aren't many cars. We were on the way back on the last long, straight stretch and a woman walks out from a side street ahead of us with a little dog not much bigger than Ham. Hamilton, of course, starts wagging his tail like a mad man and gets all happy to see another dog, but we stop him and make him wait so the other dog can get ahead. The woman stops in the middle of the road ahead of us and says "he's not good with other dogs, especially males" and I said "Ok, well we live up ahead so why don't you keep walking and we'll hang back" and she stares at me, doesn't reel the dog in on his extendaleash AT ALL, and warns me again all annoyed that he doesn't like other dogs, but won't move. We shortened Hamilton's leash and had him heel all the way over to one side of the road, meanwhile, the other woman still doesn't even shorten the dogs leash so he's straining like crazy trying to get at Hamilton as we pass. We just kept him going straight ahead until we were a fair distance ahead... but srsly guys... WHAT THE HELL?? If you're walking your mean dog, and you will neither hold him close or get out of the way or walk ahead when another dog is coming - what do you expect the other person to do??? I wasn't just going to stand there all day with my well mannered dog while she blocked the road.
When my lab was around six months, we were walking around the neighbourhood. There was a woman with an off-leash border collie walking towards us. Bones tried to say hi, I held her back. The woman said her dog didn't like other dogs jumping on her, which was absolutely valid. So I held Bonesy tightly and tried to walk past, but her dog followed us growling while the woman just stood there!!

I can absolutely understand other dogs/owners not wanting to be jumped on by a puppy. It's the reason I manage her so carefully around other people. But don't tell me your dog doesn't like mine, then allow him to follow her while I'm trying to get past. So ignorant!

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree the other dog was rude and the one that needs better social skills. It's rude for other dogs friendly or not to just charge another dog like that. Bella is extremely friendly and very playful but she only approaches dogs that she already knows very well like this. If it is a dog she doesn't know she may run but then she stops about 10 ft away and becomes very calm so the other dog can approach and smell. That to me is proper socialization...

The other day when I was walking into the dog park parking lot, a HUGE chocolate lab jumped out of a moving car window and charged at Bella. I absolutely freaked out. Bella just stood there on her leash and the dog turned out to be very friendly, but also very rude :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
When we're outside, and Laika sees another dog or some people coming towards us (It's okay if she just sees a dog in the distance, it's only if they get too close), she immediately starts barking and goes flying off towards them. She actually keeps her distance and doesn't bite or jump on them or anything. I think it's a combination of the fact that she's still a puppy (four and a half months), and that she has a very strong protective instinct (seriously, when we're outside she'll go flying off after birds). She does have some friends though: Her mum, her sister (from the same litter, actually. Looks exactly like Laika, just differently coloured!), and two other dogs, whose names and breeds I forgot. The first time Laika saw the two other dogs, she barked at them a lot, but them she calmed down. She's happy to see them now.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I formally apologize for all enthusiastic and extroverted Retrievers :) If one adolescent retriever jumps on another retriever, it is the same as a playbow from most normal, sane dogs. In his younger days, my Lab-mix would terrorize two much larger playmates - a Pit and a Ridgeback - running up to them and pouncing on them before fully recognized. We were lucky that he was never eaten. ... But, he doesn't like to be pounced on by strange dogs either, regardless of their size, large or tiny.

And, I agree, the most that you should expect out of a socialized dog is that he does not eat the other, when surprised. ...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts