Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay to start off I have a 1.5 yr old APBT that I just switched to RAW, he is doing awesome so far. Switched without a problem (knocking on wood) My only consern is that he is suppose to get 1-2 lbs of meat a day and well the chicken quarters weight that. Since he gets that in the morning I have been adding a half a chx breast (no bone) to his daily intake so he has something in his stomach so he doesn't get sick. Is this okay or will I have to worry about getting a fat dog? Also vitamins how do I make sure he is getting enough? I am planning on adding an organ in the up coming week as well as egg and oil for coat. Am I going in the correct direction for my guy??

·
Registered
24 Posts
im kinda new on this whole barf diet. but from what i understand is if your dogs intake of food a day is 2lbs then you give it 1lbs in the morning and 1 lbs at night.
the bone to meat ratio should be approx 1 to 1. so half pound of bone and half pound of meat.
sinse your dog is fairly new to raw meat. just feed him chicken for 3-4 weeks. than start adding another type of meat, and you can start to add some chicken ofal.
remember to take adding new types of meat slowly so the stomach has time to adjust to it.
you can also give fish oil for the omega fats which will help with the coat.
you can also add some add some light vegetables, carrots, broccoli celery. put it in a food processor and add some ofal or an egg. the ground up veg resembles the vegitables inside the dead animals which make it easier for the dog to digest.
also if your dog gets diarrhea or constipated you can give it some pure pumpkin puree NOT PUMPKIN PIE FILLING
i would recommend you to read up a bunch more.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
There are basically two raw diets, barf and prey model, the main difference being in the feeding of vegetable matter, grains and more supplements in the barf diet than the prey model diet. Some people are real purists regarding whichever one is their choice. I've fed barf in the past but will feed prey model this time around. But, I'm far from a purist about either one and, although I know they're unnecessary, if the pup likes veggies and/or fruit she'll get a few. Those to me are in the category of not needed but won't hurt. In the prey model diet you feed a variety of raw meaty bones from various sources, meat and offal (basically organs like liver and kidney and green tripe). And, like with barf, you generally start with chicken and gradually add in the offal and other meat sources. The ratio should be about 80% muscle meat, 10% bone and 10% offal.

Best of luck with raw feeding whichever diet (or combination of diets) you choose. Please keep us updated on your successes or challenges. One thing I've read is that it's a good idea to vary when you feed so that the dog's digestive system doesn't anticipate food at a certain time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts