Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

yet another potty training question

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  doxiemommy 
I have spent a few hours reading previous posts but i can not find a question like the one i have. I have an 11 week old Siberian Husky. Every time i take her outside to potty, she goes pee or poo, but she also pees and poos in the house as well. its as though she has no concept of only going pee or poo outside. I have not tried to crate her but i am starting to consider the idea. I watch her as close as I can when she is in the house but she is a sneaky little thing and i constantly find tiny little puddles everywhere. Am i gonna have to take her out every 30 minutes until it finally sinks in that she is not allowed to do her business in the house? Is it unrealistic to expect and 11 week old puppy to be trainable at her age? Any help would be appreciated.

An 11 week old puppy has NO control over their bladder or bowel. A very general/loose rule to follow is a puppy can hold its waste for ONE hour for every month that it is old(it varies per dog and depends on size).
You can also try tethering her to you (tying her leash to your belt or ankle or something) that way you 100% always know where she is and can catch her in the act and take her outside to finish and then praise and treat her for doing something you like (basically throw a party for her for going potty outside). NEVER punish her for going in the house.
If you want her to learn not to go in the you'll have to take her out every half hour to an hour for now.

11 week old puppies are very trainable - but expecting an 11 week old puppy to be house trained is unrealistic. She won't be fully house trained until probably 4 (at the absolute earliest) months on up (with constant training and through your commitment/perseverance you can look at the average puppy being house trained at 6 months since they have the ability to control when they eliminate).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.