Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I'll make this short. The Puppy, 5 months old, uses his doggy door regularly. 9 time out of 10 he goes in the back yard. That one time he doesn't is always in the same spot, under the end table next to the couch. The flooring is laminate and has been cleaned several dozen times.

I've used enzymes from pet stores, vinegar, and even pure undiluted bleach. One time I even let the bleach dry on it's own. Nothing worked to keep him from that one spot.

So I got clever and put his food and water bowl under the end table. It worked for about 5 days. His bowl is always full because the Vet says he's a bit under weight. Yesterday he went back to his spot under the end table and peed all over his food bowl (with food in it) and even in his water bowl.

What dog pees on his own food? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
At 5 months old, no dog is truly potty trained. My bet would be he has peed in that one area frequently, and now it has become a habit. Dogs are weird. So your dog might think, usually I go outside, but if I want to or I can't make it to the doggy door, I can go in this one spot, too.

So, to fix it, I would suggest taking him out for frequent leashed potty breaks instead of trusting that your dog will take himself. At 5 months old, he may not even have full control of his bladder yet, so he may not know he needs to go until it is too late. Inside, make sure you are supervising him 100%, and when you can't, crate him. Part of the whole process is completely preventing accidents inside so they never build that habit! Reward and praise for going outside. Act like he just did the best thing ever!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Sounds like a habit. It's more common than you think. There are a lot of owners who have no trouble with general house training except for that one area in the house.

I would recommend blocking off that area entirely for a month or so, so that your pup has no chance to practice soiling there. Provided that house training continues to go well for the next month, you can allow access again. Don't stop rewarding your dog when he goes outside; it's common for regressions to happen during adolescence and if things are going well you want to continue rewarding him for good potty behaviors.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts