Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone want to play guess the breed with Spirit one more time? I've just got the DNA results back, but before I reveal them let's see what you guys see.

Results will be revealed late Monday (7/23/2012).

Spirit is now about 3 years old (best guess) and weighs just under 30 pounds.
First night when she was laying outside.
First-night-1.jpg
After first wash & cut. She's a bit underweight.
First-shave.jpg

The 2 liter bottle is there to provide scale.
SDC10368.jpg 2012-07-22-22.21.02.jpg 2012-07-22-22.19.50.jpg

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
The results are in.
Apparently the correct answer is Canaan mix.

If you believe the results, a 3 generation pure Canaan met a random mutt and made Spirit.

Surprisingly virtually all of the breeds that I've guessed over the years plus here and the people IRL do not show up in the top 5 of the mixed breed makeup. I would have never guessed the she has any greyhound in her.

DNA-Report_Page_1.jpg

DNA-Report_Page_2.jpg

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
looks like a Cock-a-poo, to me.....sweet looking little girl.....

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Cocker X Shih tzu would be my guess

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
The first pic from a distance I see Poodle. The pics of Spirit's face in the third pic ... her eyes and mouth shape remind me of a Shih Tzu. :) The last pic I see Poodle eyes! Lol! :D

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
I saw cocker spaniel/shi-tzu/poodle in her when I look at the pics.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She doesn't shed. As a matter of fact I have her cut low as summer starts. Also, I think she only has 1 coat but I'm not expert enough to know for sure.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I agree....definately poodle.....some cocker? Or some King Charles spaniel? Maybe a littlle shih tzu? I don't see any terrier there.....and the non-shedding could come from Poodle, shih tzu, maltese, bishon?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Whaaa??.....I do not see canaan anywhere!
Canaans are more wolf-like in looks....and WHERE does the non-shedding come from? A lot of "mutts" don't pass on that gene. Even crossing a poodle wilth a golden or a lab many times doens't eliminate shedding...

hmmmm....it makes me question the DNA.....

Whatever the DNA results, your dog is adorable!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does DNA work a lot differently in dogs than other creatures? I googled a few pics of canaans, but I can't spot any of the features. Are all the canaan traits recessive? Nearly wiped out in 1 generation? Ears, muzzle, tail, etc?

I didn't expect any purebreed, but I atleast expcted poodle plus a bunch of terriers.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I like Spirit regardless of what she is. I just wanted to know what she is so I can make future plans for 1) breed specific health issues 2) breed specific behavioral quirks (I'm worried she might cross over from watchdog to "guard dog") 3) I'm tired of guessing what she is when people ask.

Guess it's time to get 2nd and 3rd opinions from a few other companies.
Also, regarding dog dna, my simplified understanding of how dogs came to be was that wolves and other canines were selectively bred to attain the desired traits until someone declares them to be a separate breed. Would that mean that the differences in DNA between breeds would be small?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I like Spirit regardless of what she is. I just wanted to know what she is so I can make future plans for 1) breed specific health issues 2) breed specific behavioral quirks (I'm worried she might cross over from watchdog to "guard dog") 3) I'm tired of guessing what she is when people ask.

Guess it's time to get 2nd and 3rd opinions from a few other companies.
Also, regarding dog dna, my simplified understanding of how dogs came to be was that wolves and other canines were selectively bred to attain the desired traits until someone declares them to be a separate breed. Would that mean that the differences in DNA between breeds would be small?
I think Wisdom Panel will give you a refund it it's as far off the mark as your pup.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts