Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd post on a cat forum, but I know you guys know more about your pets than most...

The cat that I adopted a month and a half ago has been having digestive issues. When I got Luna, she was being fed Meow Mix. Over 3 weeks, I gradually transitioned her from the Meow Mix onto Blue Buffalo. She did just fine...until week 4 when all she was given was Blue Buffalo. Over the past few weeks, she's thrown up a couple of times (and then eats it...and keeps that down...cats are gross). She's not sick or anything, it's definitely the food - she also has really really stinky gas.

I know Meow Mix and Blue Buffalo are drastically different foods... but I'm worried that she's just not going to do well on Blue Buffalo. I thought of switching both cats to Taste of the Wild, but I'm worried the added protein might make it worse...and the entire removal of grains could make it worse too. I mean, if she had a grain allergy, Meow Mix would've messed her up big time...so it doesn't look like a grain allergy.

Help??

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
Is she on only dry kibble? Because my cat did the best on at least 50% wet food. Also, are you feeding her all at once, if not, how many meals and are you free feeding? Because if you are you are she's probably overeating, which is obviously easier to do on a higher quality food.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She has refused all wet food that I've tried to offer her. I also normally feed wet/dry 50/50ish, but she just turns her nose up at it. My big male tabby, Buzzy, will end up eating the wet food I leave out for her.

I've been allowing both cats to free feed to an extent (I put out about 3/4 cups of dry food per day for each cat and they do not finish that) - she is at a healthy weight (actually she's lost weight since moving in with me - she was a TINY big overweight when I got her), and I don't THINK she's over-eating, but then again...I don't know what over eating would be for a cat! All I know is she's gone from slightly overweight to definitely a healthy weight (seriously only took about 4 weeks)...and she's not lost any more in the past couple of weeks. She's also got a MUCH healthier coat now!

I would try to limit feeding, but the problem is Buzzy, my male tabby. He is the one with the major overeating issues... there's literally no way to feed the cats separately unless I stand over Luna while she eats and push Buzzy away repeatedly...and Luna will only ever eat a couple of bites at a time...then it could be hours before she wants food again. Makes it kinda tough.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ETA:

the other big change in food would be that the Meow Mix was regular and the Blue Buffalo is weight control.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
She has refused all wet food that I've tried to offer her. I also normally feed wet/dry 50/50ish, but she just turns her nose up at it. My big male tabby, Buzzy, will end up eating the wet food I leave out for her.

I've been allowing both cats to free feed to an extent (I put out about 3/4 cups of dry food per day for each cat and they do not finish that) - she is at a healthy weight (actually she's lost weight since moving in with me - she was a TINY big overweight when I got her), and I don't THINK she's over-eating, but then again...I don't know what over eating would be for a cat! All I know is she's gone from slightly overweight to definitely a healthy weight (seriously only took about 4 weeks)...and she's not lost any more in the past couple of weeks. She's also got a MUCH healthier coat now!

I would try to limit feeding, but the problem is Buzzy, my male tabby. He is the one with the major overeating issues... there's literally no way to feed the cats separately unless I stand over Luna while she eats and push Buzzy away repeatedly...and Luna will only ever eat a couple of bites at a time...then it could be hours before she wants food again. Makes it kinda tough.
If you were interested in switching to canned, you could try microwaving it first. A lot of cats like it much better that way. But if she won't accept it and you don't want to switch I still recommend giving her small amounts at a time so she can't ever eat too much at once. I don't really understand what you mean about Buzzy and free-feeding. If he tends to overeat then doesn't he just eat the food you leave out for your new cat anyway?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
3/4 cup of BB is a lot of food. If you're trying to help them lose weight, portioning the dry food would be best. I know the bag's recommendations are usually way too much, but what does the bag say? Of course, if you want to keep free-feeding to keep them from being whiny (and I can understand that!), I guess that it doesn't really matter how much you put out.

Some cats are barfy. It's just the way they are. If it doesn't happen more than once or twice a week, it's probably totally normal. Do you think it happens if she eats too much at once? Or too fast? It could also be the extra fiber in the weight control formula, I know my cats barfed a lot when I tried a high-fiber food. I'm not really a fan of weight control or "indoor" formulas. . .usually they have lower fat, which causes the cat to eat more (defeating the purpose of weight control!) and can cause dry skin. I prefer a higher-fat food for cats.

And, yeah, I'd recommend trying to get more wet food into her. But if she won't eat it. . .well, that's that, sometimes. It can be really hard to transition a kibble addict. Have you tried different flavors? Like shrimp or something else really smelly?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts