Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night (1 am to be exact) my new pup decided to start vomiting. Only twice, completely undigested food. Then I took him out and he had an extremely watery stool. I freaked and rushed him to the 24 hour emergency vet. I was sure he had parvo and that time was of the essence!

$400 later..... he apparently can't stomach the new treats and just had an upset tummy.

I'm wanting to know if anyone else has had these moments.... mostly so I don't feel like a total newb and overreactive dog mom.... give me company lol

·
Registered
17,925 Posts
If I have any puppy under 16 weeks old that vomits more than once, regardless of hour, I go to the vet. Period, the end, every time. I don't even pretend I'm not paranoid about parvo. A lot of things I will wait and see or be more conservative with, but young puppy and vomiting repeatedly, especially with diarrhea? Yeah, vet and asap.

And in all honesty I took my 5 year old dog who threw up once and then had diarrhea for a day to the vet. Yeah, garbage gut. In my defense she was trembling and panting and just seemed to be in pain and I wasn't messing around with it. Regular diarrhea in an adult dog fine, but acting painful? No.

So, basically I think you did the very right, logical, appropriate thing in getting it checked.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Been there as well. I average a panicked vet trip at least once a year. Who cares about the cost, your peace of mind that you are doing your best is far more important.

Glad it was just too many of the wrong treats.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
been there done that but with a limp.

Manna has learned that if she limps she get more attention...she'll even forget with legs is supposed to be sore mid limp sometimes.

Vet diagnosis...she want to cuddle.

emerg fees, x-ray fees ect ect later.

Manna can be a good actor so we get her legs check regularly now just in case.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
It is never a bad idea to go to the vet :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This makes me feel better.... I was feeling a little foolish for rushing to the vet in the wee morning hours but in all honesty - I'd likely do it again. The emergency vets know us well because of our other dog and how much I run him there for pain/intestinal issues (he's now on a super super strict diet and doggy prozac because he gets stressed easy).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts