Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just adopted a rot doberman mix she is ruffly 3 months old i think but not to sure very young tho. I have had her for 3 days now and she is perfect calm and sweet. I take her with me everywhere shes with me 24/7 pretty much.

When i go to take a shower i put her in her crate so she doesnt destroy my room. And she will yelp the entire time. When im in the room with her tho she is perfectly fine.

Is there something im doing wrong or something i could do to help her?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You need to teach her to tolerate being left alone. Start randomly putting her in her crate with a peanut butter stuffed frozen kong, and leaving her there for a little while. When she is quiet and calm, let her out. Ignore the yelping/crying. Do NOT take her out when she is yelping, or you will teach her to yelp to get out.

You need to leave her home crated sometimes. You don't want to end up with a dog with severe sparation anxiety.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool thank you i will try that for sure. In terms of leaving her crated sometimes its a bit hard i have to take her to work with me. Or would just and hour or so once in a while work ? Sorry if my questions are stupid im totally knew to owning a dog.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
You need to start with small amounts of time (like 5 min) and build up, so doing it for an hr or less is fine for now. It'll be easiest at home, like if you need to crate, and go take a shower or something, that would be perfect. Just give her something to do while crated/toy, frozen stuffed Kong, etc.

Wearing her out on a walk before crating will help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea im planning on taking her for long walks part of the reason i got a dog is cuz i want to take her hiking with me. Only problem is i got her from north shore animal league and shes sick. Upper respitory infection so she couldnt get a rabies shot so i cant even take her out to house train her. But i will def give that a shot shower time would be perfect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts