Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. My family and I rescued a Yellow Lab today (it was a long process we met with multiple dogs to find a good match for our family). I am not a first time dog owner, but this is the first dog in about 5 years. The dog is a 4 year old female who obviously is undernourished, her ribs are showing and just looks skinny (not sure of her weight yet). The foster mom said she was only giving her 2 to 2 1/2 cups of food in the evening. My last Malinois was eating 6 cups a day and only weighed 72 pounds. My question is what brand of food and how much should I be feeding her, I have never owned a Lab. I know she needs more food and I am only going to increase it slowly. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Congratulations on rescuing a dog, it's one of the greatest things a person can do, for both the dog and themselves!
We got a rescued yellow lab cross puppy about 9 months ago, she was 7 weeks old when we got her. We immediately put her on an all raw food diet and she is thriving beyond expectations. I highly recommend a raw diet, for any breed, especially considering she is undernourished. Feeding raw will improve her health and energy level tremendously and extend her life.
There are many threads here about raw feeding and many other websites as well. We are surprised how easy and "common sense" it is. And we spend less money than we would if we bought premium kibble. It really is the best thing you can do for your pet.
I don't know if you can tell, but I am a really strong supporter of feeding raw to pets.
Good luck with your new family member!

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
a 72 pound malinois is a BIG malinois.

Depending on the hieght of your new girl and her energy level 2 1/2 to 3 cups sounds like a good amount for a normal sized labrador retriever.

I do lots of activities with my dogs and they are a highly active breed they get 2 1/2 cups a day. the largest dog of mine is 21 inches tall at the shoulder.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
Raw feeding is a great way to go -- I feed one of my dogs prey-model raw -- but it takes a lot of research, time and effort. You are in total control of your dog's nutritional needs so you have to make sure she is getting the right amounts of everything... different minerals and so forth. If you are willing to explore this further I highly recommend you check out the stickies on feeding raw. There is plenty of information to be digested (no pun intended, haha).

If you want to feed raw but feel intimidated by the task ahead of you, there are companies who produce commercial freeze-dried raw meals for your dog. I think Nature's Variety and Oma's Pride make them but I can't list any other brands.

If you'd rather feed kibble, there are many brands available for an adult large breed like your girl. Just to rattle off some good names: Innova, Orijen, Solid Gold, Wellness, Taste of the Wild, Natural Balance, Fish4Dogs, Nature's Variety (Instinct, Prairie), Timberwolf... Stay away from most "grocery store" brands like Pedigree, Purina, Ol Roy and Science Diet. They are typically full of fillers and allergens and are very bad for your dog's health. (See this post for more: http://www.dogforums.com/posts/5-dog-food-forum/53131-food-pup/556990-post8.html )

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a female Golden Retriever - so her nutritional needs are similar to your new friend. We feed Orijen - about 2 1/2 cups a day. We also fed Wellness with great success. The amount of food will really depend on what type of food you choose to feed since a grain-free diet will typically require a lot less. The amount on the bag is usually too much, but since you are trying to put on weight, I'd start with the recommendation on the bag.

Good luck with your new addition!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts