Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last two weeks my dog has begun throwing up yellow foam occasionally...usually in the evenings, and always before her meal (dinner). The only thing that has changed is my work schedule, which leads me to believe she gets hypoglycemic in the evening. I used to work until 6pm, now I work until 7pm. Before, I would get home and feed her and then make dinner. Now, I get home and I'm so hungry that I sometimes forget about her sitting in the office with my fiance, and I just make dinner. Instead of being fed at 6:30ish like before, she gets put off to where she vomits at 7:30-8:00, and sometimes before I even get home.

What's weird though, is that I've often been sleeping in and her morning meal has been delayed too. The time between meals hasn't really changed.

I've considered adding a third meal midday, but she only eats 2.5 to 3 cups a day (70lb dog) and I can't trust my fiance to make sure she gets that meal.

Do you guys recommend any particular kind of treat...something my fiance can keep on his desk so he remembers to give her something in the afternoon? Right now I have a bag of peanut cookies, but I'm wondering if there is something better at getting some quick calories in that is wheat free, unlike the cookies. She isn't allergic, but I avoid giving wheat daily, only occasionally.

I don't mind if there is some amazing recipe to make my own treats too. We have a great local organic mill that makes all kinds of flours I can get my hands on.

Thanks!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I would definitely feed more frequently if you could, or give snacks in between. I tried to cut pack frequency/snacks and mine would bile, right before meal and I was only maybe 45 minutes late. Amazing how their systems know. I also tried to move one meal later thinking I'd have more time before next, but it doesn't always work. I really try to keep on schedule, to avoid the bile episode. They sell automatic feeders, maybe see if that works for you.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an auto feeder for my cat and they aren't very accurate, sadly. I only use it for when we are away and she likes to eat a little extra then anyways.

Not to mention, many times she does not have access to her food dish at a given time. She's an untrustworthy dog that gets into things. Example: she is a genius and would more likely figure out how to topple the feeder. Then a former bile issue becomes bloat in her deep chested body. Notsogood.

...or worse yet, the roomie's dog would eat the food.

Ahh, well maybe I can just invent something like a homemade doggie powerbar. Lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i had left my dog's food out and he would just eat when he was hungry. then he started vomiting yellow foam around 5 - 6 a.m. my vet told me to give him a small meal, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 cup around 10 pm. the vomiting stopped. i had to make it appealing, so he would eat it up, by adding warm water, whatever. but it did the job. maybe your dog just needs an extra small meal. hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
1. Get a Kong.
2. Stuff it with that third kibble meal.
3. Leave it in the fridge or the freezer (or in an airtight box on fiance's desk).
4. Get fiance to just give her the Kong in the middle of the day. No need to measure out meals or get bowls out. Just take the Kong from the box and give it to dog.
5. At the end of the day, stuff Kong with next day's lunch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts