Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm a new member, but I have been reading a lot of the forums. My white Shih-Tzu/Bischon has terrible tear stains. I had given him Angel Eyes, but he got worse. He also has reddish brown stains around his mouth and around his butt. (He does some serious butt licking.) I stopped the Angel Eyes when i read that it contained an antibiotic. After reading some of the forums, I'm, beginning to think it is a yeast overgrowth. I've started putting apple cider vinegar in his water, and I'm in the process of changing his food to a high grade gluten free diet. I wipe his eyes on a regular basis every day. Is the butt licking because of the yeast overgrowth? Will it stop and return to just a normal amount of butt licking? He wakes us up in the middle of the night with loud licking and it's really kind of gross.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I do have that done at the groomer's every 6 weeks, but I also took him to the vet to be sure that wasn't the problem. The vet said his anal glands were not full. That's why I'm wondering if it may be a yeast overgrowth. Has anyone heard of this before?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I do have that done at the groomer's every 6 weeks, but I also took him to the vet to be sure that wasn't the problem. The vet said his anal glands were not full. That's why I'm wondering if it may be a yeast overgrowth. Has anyone heard of this before?
I had a dog with bad allergies, and he would get these yeast/ overgrowths in his paws (moist humid environments encourage yeast growth) becuase his paws would be itchy and he would lick them all the time....

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
buy some microtek Anti itch shampoo. It's an antifungal, that will help if it's yeast. I swear by the stuff. You can get it online.

the probiotics mentioned above have no side effects when given as directed.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Ooh, yeah, I second Microtek. Great stuff.

No, probiotics don't have any side effects. Well, some people report getting gas but that's just the good bacteria fighting with the bad bacteria ;) :p.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts