Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went through this once already when I first got this dog. He was 1 year old, and randomly would pee on the floor. Not scared, not marking his territory, not sick, just not properly house broken, or so I guessed. I went back to crate training him and he has been fine for months.Usually he'll sit by the door, or whine.

In the last week he has peed on the floor twice. Not just a little bit. Tonight he must have walked all over the kitchen while doing because there was pee everywhere.

I just don't understand why he is doing it now after doing so well for so long. I hope this isn't going to be a lifetime issue.

Any ideas of why he is starting up with this again?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
It's been 6 months? Dogs often backslide a time for two during any kind of training. First, call the vet and have him screened for a UTI. If no infection, back to potty training 101.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
A couple months back my dog had a similar backslide. She had been reliably housetrained for about four months, and suddenly out of the blue, two Saturdays in a row, at the same time of day, my husband caught her peeing on the living room carpet when I was out at the gym. Now, in my case, that was probably a husband-training problem in addition to a housetraining problem, as he probably could prevented it by paying closer attention. But in all, it was not the harbinger of doom I feared. We kept a closer eye on her and took her out more frequently for awhile, and it was fine. Sometimes dogs really do backslide for reasons unknown.

I would go back to housetraining 101 and reinforce that outdoor peeing is a good thing with extra praise and treats. I would also not rely on your dog to tell you he needs to go out. Lots of dogs can do that, but right now it doesn't seem to be working so well for you guys, so I would get on a frequent schedule instead, at least for now. It's more convenient anyway. Start with first thing in the morning, then every hour or two thereafter, plus after meals and playtime and right before bed. It sounds like a lot, but it won't be that way forever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts