Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I need some realistic pros and cons on a second dog.

Awhile after I got Chester and had some minor musings on a second dog, I decided that 1) it wasn't really a practical idea as a single person to have 2 large dogs and 2) IF I did get a second dog, it would have to be a young, female, rescue Ridgeback who was available locally.
I made that rule in part because I really prefer the Ridgeback traits and also because I knew it would severely limit any potential dogs so I wouldn't just go "awww" and end up with another dog :)

There is a young, female, purebred ridged RR available locally. I'm internally debating on asking to meet her. Or in the future, if another comes available in rescue.

I have committed to taking a foster Pit Bull in the next couple weeks. So I could use that as a trial period for a second dog (the first foster wasn't with me long enough to really get a feel for the requirements of a 2-dog household).

I have the finances for a second dog, not that I have a lot of money or anything, but the basic care and a small emergency fund wouldn't be a hardship.

I can't decide how practical it is in the long term (and obviously it would be a forever home kinda thing). Two dogs for travel in the car, two dogs to take hiking, two dogs to take home for the holidays, etc. And honestly, two dogs to add into the mix of any potential relationships.

I also realize that while my parents love to occasionally watch Chester and have him for "summer camp" for my yearly vacation, I'm not sure if it feels right to ask them to take on a second dog for those times. But I also can't board Chester and would prefer not to have the expense of boarding for 2 weeks anyway.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have three dogs! I go on hiking trips, road trips, fishing trips all the time. They all get along great and it's not that much of a financial burden. I personally always think it's good to have at least 2 dogs. A dog always needs one of it's kind around.
Sometimes, I kinda have 4 dogs, because I babysit my friends pit bull.

I'm planning a trip to the Grand Canyon with my Vallhund, Corgi and my sis' borzoi! Again. :)

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
Disenabler - I know you're going to do it... but don't. You already have a good dog and relationship, why chance it. Don't double burden your folks. In today's bad economy, save your money. You can always foster for a second dog fix...

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Disenabler - I know you're going to do it... but don't. You already have a good dog and relationship, why chance it. Don't double burden your folks. In today's bad economy, save your money. You can always foster for a second dog fix...
Honestly, I am very UNLIKELY to adopt a second dog right now. But, I'm trying to look to the next year or so rationally. And I agree a lot on the foster "fix"; I kind of purposefully only accept as fosters dog breeds that I like but don't "love" so they won't become failed fosters.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I think it's one of those things... "I would only do it if this breed were local..." so in your head it feels like fate... OMG... it's right in front of me, I should do it! I had that happen to me today... 2 year old neutered harlequin dane in need of a new home, rehoming fee only.... I have been on waiting lists for harlequins for about 5 years now. But..... I have a dane, and now a wheaten... and two danes is a LOT. It's like a promise to yourself that you have to uphold... but really, you don't. I say meet the dog... if it's meant to be your instinct will tell you... if it's not just tell yourself... next time.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
If I was trying to talk myself INTO it, I wouldn't do it.
If I was trying to talk yourself OUT of it, I would do it.

I'm kind of a "details work themselves out" kinda person, though.

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
A dog always needs one of it's kind around.
I couldn't disagree more. SOME dogs will enjoy the company, but others are very people-oriented. I really don't think my dog would enjoy having another dog around. In fact, she might end up feeling neglected/jealous because the other dog would take some of my attention. She'd much rather interact with people than with other dogs. I care for friends' dogs occasionally when they're out of town, and despite being friendly with them, my dog always breathes a sigh of relief when they go back to their owners. Come to think of it, so do I.

OP, as much as I like to drool over petfinder profiles, I really don't envision myself getting another dog for many years to come. I enjoy the relationship that I have with my current dog, and I don't want that to change. She's up for anything I want to do (just say the word!), so there's no activity that I'm itching to try that I can't do with my current dog. Whenever I'm crushing on a particular petfinder dog, I ask myself what this new dog would add to my life. The answer is inevitably nothing, and therein lies my decision.

Do you have a clear vision of what this potential new dog will add to your (or Chester's) life?

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
It sounds like you have the right idea with fostering.

I think I'd be torn on adding another dog if money weren't an issue. Kaki can go, go, go all day and turn it off at home. She can be trusted with free roam. I forget how easy she is to live with because...it's just that easy. Adding another dog makes things more interesting.
And you're right, it has only recently occurred to me that dogs and relationships can be tricky. I just never thought about it before.

Though I did feel a little twinge of jealously as I saw a woman run by with two Rhodesians a while back.

You seem more than capable of making the right call.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I can only relate my experience, although it's not directly on point with what you're considering. Had a big hound, added a terrier. When the hound passed away, we added a ridgeback mix.

When you add a small dog to a household that already contains a big dog, there is amost no incremental effort (after the housebreaking is completed).

The second dog was maybe the best thing I could have done for my old pal, he really seemed to enjoy having a little brother. The small terrier/big hound dynamic really is a lot of fun, you should see 'em hunt together.

·
Registered
212 Posts
If you're going back and forth this much about it, then don't do it.
You should always feel 100% sure you're ready for another dog.
But, if you're questioning too much, just stop. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think what I'm wondering is HOW to figure out the pros and cons-- meaning, I can't be sure it is right or wrong because I'm not really sure what it entails (the second dog, I mean).

I'll probably at least do this next foster before seriously considering adopting, but aside from some of the practical issues like transportation, I'm not sure how well fostering will reflect the dynamics of a two ridgeback household. The next foster will be a Pit Bull and very likely one that is either a puppy who needs ALL training or a dog with minor problems that needs socialization (like some fear issues or lack of manners, not aggression or major anxiety). Whereas for example, the female available to adopt is house trained, leash trained, has at least basic manners and such at 1 year old. And of course, a different temperament than a Pit.
On the other hand, if Chester seems to really love having a dog around, it would be good information to have.

I think I may also breach the subject for the future with my parents, to find out if they would actually think it a burden or are like "hey, not a prob at all" -- my family is the type that tells the truth so if it would be even the slightest burden, they'd tell me point blank. I could consider looking towards adopting next fall, when Chester is 5 so young enough to keep up with a 1-2 year old dog but well established with me. It would also be after my semi-planned yearly vacation which would mean no sitter/boarding needed for 12-16 months after that aside from an occasional daytime walk when I have late hours.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts