Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently at an impasse with the dogs.

The last person I was staying with lied to me up down and sideways, and now, for all intents and purposes, myself and the dogs are homeless.

I am currently staying with my boyfriend in New Jersey, but that won't be viable for long. My dogs are in the [email protected]#&$(@*&$ GARAGE (I don't even have access to my own Service Dog), but there's nothing I can currently do about it.

I can't go back home to where I was because our house is absolutely full. Delphi cannot go back to where she came from....I've put 7 pounds on that dog since she came (maybe more). She currently weighs 67 pounds and should be closer to 80.

I'm looking for a job, but the TS limits me in what I can do.

My radiator also died on the way to Jersey (rather suspiciously, as everything was in tip top shape before I left WI)....I'm in debt $700+ to a friend's family, and needless to say that there is no money currently.

If ANY of you have any suggestions at all, please, toss them my way....

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TS = Tourette Syndrome

My tics are pretty bad...I've actually got the aid of a service dog now (Strauss). Some days are better than others, but bad days....are bad.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
i am so sorry that all of this is happening to you. i really wish that i had a suggestion for you.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Well, there's basically two sides to the equation. There's income and there's outgo, but you know this already. It sounds like right now you need a good income. If you fix that, then everything else kind of falls into place. I would recommend a book called "48 days to the work you love." It's an awesome book and it got me a job I love in like 30-35 days. You can probably find it at the local library and it's like 100 pages.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I wish I had a suggestion too. If I remember correctly you used to live with your mom, I am guessing that's the house that's filled up.. but really there is NO way you can go back there for a while? Keep Strauss with you and have someone else from your club watch Delphi for a while?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Do a quick search for local social services.....something along the lines of People In Transition Services. They are govt. funded and while mainly intended for refugees they also serve the jobless and homeless.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Keechak is trying to help me locate someone from club that could hold Del for a little while. I might be able to beg and plead my way back in, but one of the reasons I had to leave was all the chaos...

On top of that, my mother just had to mortgage the house (again) to repair the roof that went 'phbbbt'.

And hulk, I wish I had 30 days to get a job, but I don't....I need one in like the next few DAYS.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
And hulk, I wish I had 30 days to get a job, but I don't....I need one in like the next few DAYS.
I'm not sure what your town looks like, but there is nothing local? Even something as small as a part time pizza job would be better than nothing. I know your syndrome may get in the way, but if you talk to the bosses, they may be able to find you jobs where your by yourself or fits you well.

I really hope things look up for you. :( Please keep us updated so we know your okay.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Keechak is trying to help me locate someone from club that could hold Del for a little while. I might be able to beg and plead my way back in, but one of the reasons I had to leave was all the chaos...

On top of that, my mother just had to mortgage the house (again) to repair the roof that went 'phbbbt'.

Can you deliver pizzas? Wait tables? Throw papers? Throw boxes for UPS at night? Are any of these jobs you can do in your condition? Jobs like that you can get tomorrow and working part time you can make $1000 a month easily. It's not much money, but it's more than you're making now for sure. You can work a job like that while looking for a more permanent solution. Do I want to deliver pizzas the rest of my life? No. Am I willing to do it for 6 mos while I get on my feet? Yes. I don't know how bad your health problems are and whether you can work any of these jobs or not. They're just suggestions.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I've only been in NJ since sunday night, so I don't know if there's anything local. I'm doing tons of searches and what not. Luckily I DO have a car so I can get to interviews.

I promise to keep you guys updated.

If I'm not on the forum for any period of time, I CAN be reached at [email protected].

ETA: Hulk posted while I did.

Things like mailroom work I can do. I can even do heavy lifting. I'm not averse to it (I actually like it). I just have to be careful. I never know when I'll have a bad day (Neurological disorders are fun!).

Pizza delivery I can't do since I get lost...and I STAY lost. Now, if I were to work as a hostess or summat in a restaurant, totally doable. Waiting tables? No.

I've applied for jobs like that (believe it or not, heh), but since my tics are unpredictable...well....let's just say hot coffee in someone's lap would occur more frequently than it should....

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I mean, it's your home.. surely she'd understand? Maybe you could work up some sort of deal with her.. find yourself a job and pay her as much of your earnings as would be feasible for you in return for letting you stay.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Appreciated.

Dogs are currently fed. We're using long lines and a jerry rigged deck gate to allow them some exercise since they're not allowed in the house (I want to cry just saying that).

Never did I think I'd be the homeless dog lady with nothing but her van and the suitcases in it :p

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I've only been in NJ since sunday night, so I don't know if there's anything local. I'm doing tons of searches and what not. Luckily I DO have a car so I can get to interviews.

I promise to keep you guys updated.

If I'm not on the forum for any period of time, I CAN be reached at [email protected].

ETA: Hulk posted while I did.

Things like mailroom work I can do. I can even do heavy lifting. I'm not averse to it (I actually like it). I just have to be careful. I never know when I'll have a bad day (Neurological disorders are fun!).

Pizza delivery I can't do since I get lost...and I STAY lost. Now, if I were to work as a hostess or summat in a restaurant, totally doable. Waiting tables? No.

I've applied for jobs like that (believe it or not, heh), but since my tics are unpredictable...well....let's just say hot coffee in someone's lap would occur more frequently than it should....
I would go down to UPS right now then. You could be throwing boxes by this evening. Paper route maybe? You can't get lost if you're doing the same route every day can you?

·
Registered
417 Posts
where are you in NJ. I am here in NJ. I don't know if I can help out in any way, but I can try.

http://www.nj.com/jobs/

see if you can find something here. The Star Ledger is a pretty big paper here in the Central and North Part of NJ. If you are in Southern NJ it may not be of much help

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Good luck, Jackie. But I wouldn't rule out sending Delphi back to her breeder. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do...

·
Registered
691 Posts
Do an internet search for the closest career center. They are federally funded and you just have to walk in and prove you have no income. A counselor will interview you and set you up with a resume and a job search within your parameters.

You may also be eligible for emergency food stamps (as in immediate), look up your local Department of Transitional Assistance. Also, if you have a documented disability, you are eligible for state funded housing quicker than the "average" homeless person, even homeless families. I know most don't accept dogs, but if it's a service dog it just may be doable. Not trying to sound ignorant here, I just don't know the disability laws that well.

I am a social worker and know most of my state's rules inside out. I would just suggest signing up for whatever you can just to get back on your feet. There are many benefits available out there for people (NOT just "welfare"), and they are there for those who need them. Don't be ashamed to apply or ask... I would rather see someone like you getting state assistance than a con artist. That's why it's there, so see what you are eligible for.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Our local paper has jobs in the evening for people who take the papers, roll them up, back them, put rubber bands on them, etc.... The jobs don't pay much, but it does pay and they hire pretty much anyone who has a pulse.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Im sorry i cant do much to help, i don't have much advice either but i suggest going to a church. tell them your situation and maybe a member of the church will put you up or have a job for you. churches are great like that. you don't have to be a member of the religion just pay attention to what they say and go with the flow.

i don't know how it works where you are but here in NZ you would get lOTS of help from the government, you could get on the benefit today and be getting maybe $200 a week plus accomidation help and very quickly a state house. doesnt your government do something like that?

1 - 20 of 79 Posts