Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not hard, but the puppy definitely was surprised. ( I was told ) My puppy did that tonight and that happened in my home. I didn't know until the relative was gone.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Make it clear to everyone in the house that it is totally unacceptable to ever hit a dog, esp. a puppy. And call the relative to tell him/her the same thing. No bones about it.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I caught my mom smacking Ozzie on the butt once. It wasn't hard, and honestly he didn't even seem to notice but I think she knew right away by the look on my face that I wasn't about to have it. I told her that she was never, ever to hit my dog ever again. She tried to play it off like it wasn't a big deal, but I reiterated. She ended up apologizing and walking away. Since then no one has laid a finger on my dogs and it was made clear to everyone, that they are my dogs and if they are doing something wrong, they need to get me so I can deal with them.

I would make it clear to everyone in the family that you don't deal with the dog by hitting it. Then I would call the relative and chew them out... for hitting the dog and for teaching the kids the wrong way to deal with unwanted behavior.

Not cool. not cool at all.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
That's good. Too many kids imitate authority figures. When I was about 10 I said a swear word loudly in public. I kind of knew it was wrong when I did it but said it anyway because a friend's dad said it all the time. Because he did it, I thought maybe it was ok. It was not as I found out pretty quickly. Good lessons can use a little repetition. :)

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I would launch into a rage by myself for a while. Then after that was over I would call them and in no uncertain terms tell them that they are not allowed back in my home for hitting my dog. No second chances for me when it comes to the dogs.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would launch into a rage by myself for a while. Then after that was over I would call them and in no uncertain terms tell them that they are not allowed back in my home for hitting my dog. No second chances for me when it comes to the dogs.
I don't know if you are a male or female, maried or not.... but what if your spouse wanted that person back in your home? Because that's the deal here.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I don't know if you are a male or female, maried or not.... but what if your spouse wanted that person back in your home? Because that's the deal here.
I am female, and living with my fiance of 4 years and some change. I like to lay my crazy all out on the table, so when we met he knew I had a dog and what I found unacceptable with dogs was immediately put on the table. I do not tolerate ANY one being physically harmful towards my dogs and he would not argue with me if someone hit one of the dogs. He is not a nut job like me, but he would be just as angry and not welcome them back either. He also knows that if it happened in front of me they would not leave with the arm they smacked with.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Body parts would probably start being chopped off if anyone ever raised a hand to my dogs.

A few years ago, a guest threatened to hit my Lab (he can be really annoying at times)...I threatened to break their arm.

In your case, I'd probably call the relative and tell them what your children told you. Let them know in no uncertain terms that you do not approve of your puppy being hit for any reason. That being stuck can have a negative impact on the puppy and also hitting a living being is not something that you want as an example for children.

And Kudos to your kids for speaking up and telling you.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Nothing stops your spouse from having a relationship with that person- outside the house.

It is not okay for someone to come in and just decide they can discipline those in your family whether your daughter or your dog. They are a guest and it's not their house. It's about respect and that was a total disrespect of your home and the rules you decided upon. I do give people chances to eventually come back, but not until they know there are consequences and trust is something gained. I don't give people wiggle room in thinking if they step over one thing, it wasn't a big deal and I didn't deal with it therefore they can keep on violating the rules of my house. Some people do gain it back, some don't and I find I don't miss them that much.

Talk to them and let them gain their privilege of being invited back.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
This and it's the reason my younger brother will NEVER be allowed around my dogs.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I can say I'm female and my spouse would back me up on it. If the spouse wishes a relationship with the person htye can have it outside the home, but the person would NOT be allowed back in my house. NO ONE hits my dogs OR my children!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, as much as I love dogs - had about 12 of them - I'm not going to get in a knock down, drag out fight over a smack, that, according to my kids was not very hard. But since it was her relative, I will tell her that I would like her to tell the relative.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
NO ONE relative or not will lay one hand on my animals! This would be the end of our relationship for a long time........................Of course everyone I know would probably be afraid to even try something like that. :) I have been known for having a bad temper. :)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
If an adult were to smack my puppy they wouldnt be invited back for a very long time (if ever). My home is a 'safe' place for Buster and my daughters, hitting any of them violates that. My husband could still have a relationship with that person...outside of our home. All the relatives know my position when it comes to smacking my kids or my dog so it's never been an issue.

A child would have a little more leeway but they'd learn very quickly that I will not tolerate them harming those in my care.

·
Registered
294 Posts
To be honest, I would not go postal and threaten family relationships over one incident. I would NOT appreciate the interference, and I would be having a discussion. I also choose to crate my dogs when a lot of people are over, so no one (dogs included,) has a chance to interact in a way that I don't like. That is how I would handle a small swat like you described.

However, if my dog were injured, the above no longer applies. If someone is unhinged enough to cause physical damage to my pet, I certainly would not trust them with my children!

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Oh no no no no. That would not happen again. I would tell my relative what's what and that hitting my dog doesn't fly well. If they don't like it, too bad, those are my rules and this is my house and my dog. That's what I would do anyway, in a nice and calm way.

One lady took the leash right out of my hands one time to tell me how to train Luke, I was so surprised I didn't say anything. I know better now.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I think it is going a little overboard to ban someone from your house for a small smack to your dog. Not everyone was raised the same way and giving a dog a smack may seem normal to her. I would think it would be much better to educate them and just explain that you do not discipline your dog that way. It isn't like she picked it up by the scruff and clobbered it.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts