Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I accidently bought Dry Cat Food instead of Dog food for my 1 yr old puppy. Today I tore the bag on top and wondered why the kibble was so small, then turned the bag over and realized it wasn't even dog food but Adult cat food. Can it be mixed with other dried dog food .and be given to my dog? Can anyone advise...thanks

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Yeah, you should be able to mix it in okay. A ratio of at least 3/4 dog kibble and up to 1/4 cat kibble would probably work.

Or you could see if your local shelter will take it. I know that mine has taken open packages before.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Dogs can eat cat foods in small amounts. Mostly its too fatty and causes digestive upset.

If you can't trade it off with a friend or neighbor, then I'd use it as training treats. No more than about 20% or so of the daily food ration (not additional percent but swapped out for calories in the dog kibble)

·
Banned
242 Posts
It can be mixed, the extra calories can be beneficial to your growing puppy. Training treats also works, as I'm sure the flavor is different, your dog might find it better than their kibble just because it tastes different, LOL!

Shelters might take it too, I've known some to take it, especially if you explain your mistake!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I will mark the ratio's down and try it. Gosh, I got 7 kg bag of it, thinking I was picking up the dog food, but no problem, if it doesn't work my daughter has 2 purrr balls of her own, so she might welcome it and they might as well. Her husband found them new born at the waste disposal where he works and brought them home, but they weren't sure if they would make it, I don't know if the mother abandoned them or she died or fell to other prey?. My daughter went to the Pet store and bought a tiny baby nursing bottle with the right kind of formula for them. She literally brought them back to life and raised them . They are both fine now and are no longer kittens but over a year old..

·
Banned
242 Posts
Nice, that was probably expensive. I would probably find a way to use it , lol!

I work my arse off to pay my car insurance, gas, dog trials, and dog food <.< couldn't imagine dropping 30-40 bucks on unusable food

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I have decided to keep some and mix it in and also keep some for training and also give some to my daughter with the 2 cats to help her out, and before long we will be buying another bag ,next time dog food and not cat or hamster food. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh forgot , Deacon. dog, you are right, We are finding that out. We got our dog somewhat cheaper than the ones for sale out there, but the Vet bill, he had no shots so he had those,done, and then the City llicence was another cost., and the food, and the hides, cause he loves to chew, thinks its a game, running around at fast speed with me trying to catch him to retrieve the latest thing he has in his mouth

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
We use cat kibble for treats a lot here, since you can get way more high-quality kibble for less than high-quality treats and the small size is perfect. Of course, my boys are chow hounds who think everything is a treat, lol. Glad you're finding a good way to use it up!

·
Banned
242 Posts
Yes, dogs are expensive. I spent 3 years saving up 1.5k for Raleigh, he came with most of his work but I had to get him chipped, buy supplies, more vaccines when he was older, etc. lots of work <.<

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Oh forgot , Deacon. dog, you are right, We are finding that out. We got our dog somewhat cheaper than the ones for sale out there, but the Vet bill, he had no shots so he had those,done, and then the City llicence was another cost., and the food, and the hides, cause he loves to chew, thinks its a game, running around at fast speed with me trying to catch him to retrieve the latest thing he has in his mouth
I'm assuming by "hides" you mean rawhides; be super careful with those. Especially if you can't afford a big vet bill. Big pieces chewed off and swallowed pose a choking and obstruction risk.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I'm assuming by "hides" you mean rawhides; be super careful with those. Especially if you can't afford a big vet bill. Big pieces chewed off and swallowed pose a choking and obstruction risk.
After reaching down the throat of two different choking dogs to pull out a huge piece of rawhide that they tore off a chew, all rawhide products are banned from my house. Life is dangerous enough.

·
Banned
242 Posts
Rawhides are banned from my house too, so is literally anything not labelled "for tough dogs".. they freaking ingest it before I can get to them

1 - 13 of 13 Posts