Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this in another post:

"Would you rather wrestle a pup at 8 weeks, and have them well behaved after 2 or 3 baths, or would you rather wait to wrestle a 40pound or more dog for 7 or 8 baths?"

Is it ok to wrestle a*pup the 1st few baths if he's uncooperative ? Well I did and half way through he actually started enjoying himself and became very cooperative. I feel kind of bad, but we got the job done and he was happy in the end. Is this the norm?

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Is it ok to wrestle a*pup the 1st few baths if he's uncooperative ? Well I did and half way through he actually started enjoying himself and became very cooperative. I feel kind of bad, but we got the job done and he was happy in the end. Is this the norm?

Yes, it is ok to "wrestle" a put for the first few baths, if necessary. As long as you stay calm, are not harming the pup, and are teaching it proper behavior(stand, stay, etc). Many times it is necessary to just simply "outlast" them. Dogs are very similar to children...you have to teach them how to behave, and when they throw a tantrum, you can't give in( stop the bath, nails, etc.) or they just learn to throw bigger tantrums. :) Good job getting it done. :) Next time, he will remember this lesson, and be much better for you. Over a few baths, he will be an angel.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Yes, but, no need to really 'wrestle'. Our pup decided baths are GREAT after a couple minutes of treats and "Ooh your such a pretty girl".. lol.. now she loves bath time!

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Well, if you mean 'wrestling' by you just toughing it out with the dog; ie waiting for him to figure out that what's happening is 1)neither harming him 2) nor is it stopping just because he doesn't necessarily like it...then yes, wrestling is somewhat necessary in a dog's life, especially when you're talking about 10-15 (or more) years of grooming that lies ahead of him.

If you're talking about physically wrestling the dog into humiliation, then, no. As groomers, we are to remain as patient as we can, so the dog realizes that we are not a fearful enemy, but someone who they can trust. We may not have nearly as much time as the owners do, which is why we also have to stress that the owners do some of the stuff at home, such as getting the dog used to having his feet touched, his coat being brushed, etc. Most owners don't do these things, but some do, which makes our job even easier. For those that don't, we just have to patiently and quietly work with the dog, until he realizes what we are expecting of him. Sometimes you can accomplish alot in those first few times, but then there are other instances, where you may be lucky to get the dog bathed, and dried...and you have to be prepared to tell the owner why you stopped, and why that was better than pushing the dog further.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies, i feel much better...don't worry i didn't hurt him just helped him along a bit. i know if i were a groomer it would be nice if some of the owners take the time to brush and touch to make my job more pleasant and enjoy what i do which is why i do it. thanks so much

1 - 5 of 5 Posts