Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Yeah HSUS is pretty much like PETA, except a little less crazy. As someone once put it, they make sad commercials to get money so they can make more sad commercials.

If you want to help animals, donate (money, supplies, time, etc) to your local shelters.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Unfortunately a lot of people see humane society and think of their local humane society. They think that HSUS donates to local humane societies across the country. I think it's pretty misleading and intentionally so.

Local shelters and rescues though need supplies and volunteers. Another option to help pets would be to donate to a local pet food pantry if you have one locally.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
I came across this article and was very shocked to read this... As someone who donates to HSUS I am disappointed that they are not donating to the local shelters who truly need them.
http://www.fox17.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wztv_vid_17733.shtml
And this is news?
HSUS has NOTHING to do with your local shelters. They do not operate shelters, have nothing to do with rescuing dogs.

The HSUS is a radical animal rights group not unlike Peta. One of their executive staff, John Godwin I believe, has known ties to ALF a an extremely dangerous group that has been linked to Peta and implicated in bombings and burnings.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
In the "dog world" so to speak, I think it is fairly common knowledge, but for the "general public", people who own and love their pets but don't get involved in sports, conformation, breeding, forums, etc, it really can be "news". I know many people who were appalled when they heard the story about the PETA people taking adoptable dogs from shelters and killing them and dumping their bodies in the dumpster. They just couldn't believe members of that group could do such a horrid thing....

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
And this is news?
HSUS has NOTHING to do with your local shelters. They do not operate shelters, have nothing to do with rescuing dogs.

The HSUS is a radical animal rights group not unlike Peta. One of their executive staff, John Godwin I believe, has known ties to ALF a an extremely dangerous group that has been linked to Peta and implicated in bombings and burnings.
Isn't ALF on a domestic terrorism list? HSUS is basically corporate PETA, there are those on their board that were apart of PETA at one point, and it wouldn't surprise me if any of them of either group were at one point apart of or have ties to ALF, or the other various animal related terrorist groups.

Yeah HSUS is not and does not run shelters, they are not affiliated with any shelters. They are a radical lobbying group, that spend most of their time lobbying politicians to vote their way on bills, and the rest doing commercials. These people are downright nuts.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
Isn't ALF on a domestic terrorism list? HSUS is basically corporate PETA, there are those on their board that were apart of PETA at one point, and it wouldn't surprise me if any of them of either group were at one point apart of or have ties to ALF, or the other various animal related terrorist groups.

Yeah HSUS is not and does not run shelters, they are not affiliated with any shelters. They are a radical lobbying group, that spend most of their time lobbying politicians to vote their way on bills, and the rest doing commercials. These people are downright nuts.
Yes....
Animal Liberation FrontMain article: Animal Liberation Front
Animal Liberation Front (ALF) is a name used internationally by activists who engage in direct action tactics on behalf of animals. This includes removing animals from laboratories and fur farms, and sabotaging facilities involved in animal testing and other animal-based industries. According to ALF statements, any act that furthers the cause of animal liberation, where all reasonable precautions are taken not to endanger life, may be claimed as an ALF action. The group is listed by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security as a domestic terrorist organization.

And the USDA classifies PETA as a terror threat.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Every dollar you donate to HSUS is a dollar taken out of the local shelter systems.
No. Unless you are wanting to donate to a shelter, and didn't read their mission statement, so you donated to them by accident. I'm sure there are people out there that donate to them because they are a group that lobbies for animal welfare issues, like banning horse tripping, dog fighting, cockfighting, Horse slaughter, canned hunts, gestation crates for pigs, and tiny cages for poultry. Some people probably donate to both the HSUS and their local shelters.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
No. Unless you are wanting to donate to a shelter, and didn't read their mission statement, so you donated to them by accident. I'm sure there are people out there that donate to them because they are a group that lobbies for animal welfare issues, like banning horse tripping, dog fighting, cockfighting, Horse slaughter, canned hunts, gestation crates for pigs, and tiny cages for poultry. Some people probably donate to both the HSUS and their local shelters.
They are not about animal welfare.
They are about animal rights. Ever looked where their money goes?

We battle them every legislative session down here... They always lose... They think because they win in California they can win here. Drives them nuts.

They pushed heavily against the shelter reporting bill we got passed. Why would HSUS not want to see accurate shelter numbers? Because their propaganda does not work so well when pressed against hard numbers.

The other things are mostly for show.... When is the last time you saw a canned hunting bill?
The horse slaughter thing put horses in worse shape. Cock fighting and Dog fighting are already illegal. LOTS of it goes on here.... They make busts on both all the time. Never seen a sniff of HSUS involvement.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I do believe so many people donate to them solely because they see those sad eyes in videos taken at small, local shelters, and get smitten into handing over money without doing any research.
This is why I don't donate to most big things like this. And I'll just tell you, I don't think I'd even give money to my local shelter. I'll volunteer there all day though, like I have been.
Donating your time and supplies to a local shelter is FAR more rewarding than handing money to a big corporation. Just wish people could tell the difference.

·
Registered
434 Posts
They are not about animal welfare.
They are about animal rights. Ever looked where their money goes?

We battle them every legislative session down here... They always lose... They think because they win in California they can win here. Drives them nuts.

They pushed heavily against the shelter reporting bill we got passed. Why would HSUS not want to see accurate shelter numbers? Because their propaganda does not work so well when pressed against hard numbers.

The other things are mostly for show.... When is the last time you saw a canned hunting bill?
The horse slaughter thing put horses in worse shape. Cock fighting and Dog fighting are already illegal. LOTS of it goes on here.... They make busts on both all the time. Never seen a sniff of HSUS involvement.
Not to mention, the HSUS (like PETA) are anti-pitbull and would see all dogs rescued in busts put down on breed alone and help lobby for BSL and back-door (instant death) shelter policies for bully breeds.

When they do get involved with busts, they do little more than go out and take photos to show how involved they are, then pass the dogs and all their veterinary care and expenses onto private shelters while releasing new ads about how they "saved" those poor abused dogs (that they'd rather see dead anyways) and how you should donate so they can help care for them. Like they did with the dog Fay. A pit bull rescued from a dog fighting bust whose lips were cut off. They plastered her image EVERYWHERE (despite their position that dogs like her from busts should be put down) to advertise for donations and how they helped her.... But she was in the care of a small rescue who was paying for her special care and treatment and receiving jack from the HSUS, same for all the other dogs from that bust. After it came out, they gave a very meager donation toward the care of Fay and the other dogs as damage control. http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=2318

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
ASPCA is the same thing. That's why so many shelters have changed their names to remove SPCA or "Humane", because people think they get money from the national group if they have that in their name.

I had no idea until our local shelter changed its name about 10 years ago. It's such a scam, all those sad commercials with sad songs (looking at you, Sara!) and not a penny goes to help actual animals in need.

·
Registered
8,865 Posts
In case anyone doubts the agenda of HSUS all one has to do is look at the words of their President.

“We have no problem with the extinction of domestic animals.”

- Wayne Pacelle, President of HSUS, Animal People, May, 1993.

“If I had my personal view, perhaps that might take hold. In fact, I don’t want to see another dog or cat born.“

- Wayne Pacelle quoted in Bloodties: Nature, Culture and the Hunt, by Ted Kerasote, 1993, p. 266

·
Banned
1,625 Posts
PETA kills more animals than their slogan "sells" them to be....
Will never support PETA.

Same with money donations...
better actually do that research first before giving away any money.
waterDrop.jpg

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
Jeez. I knew PETA and HSUS was like that, but never the ASPCA or SPCA. So from me, thanks for letting me know. Although I don't give to animal organizations anymore, I even had to stop totally because right now I'm sadly unemployed. So I have a question, all these SPCA shows on Animal Planet, they're really not showing what's going on? Because they show the rescue, the trial and sometimes arrest, and then show the animal going off to a good home. And people like me, want to believe they're doing good.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Jeez. I knew PETA and HSUS was like that, but never the ASPCA or SPCA. So from me, thanks for letting me know. Although I don't give to animal organizations anymore, I even had to stop totally because right now I'm sadly unemployed. So I have a question, all these SPCA shows on Animal Planet, they're really not showing what's going on? Because they show the rescue, the trial and sometimes arrest, and then show the animal going off to a good home. And people like me, want to believe they're doing good.
I don't know about the US, but here in Canada the provincial SPCAs are all independently operated and have no link to each other.

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
A lot of county animal control and rescue groups use the name 'humane society' tagged on (like County Name Humane Society) or County Name SPCA. They aren't one umbrella network, they're just names.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts