Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was sitting in my room one day and saw something scampering out of the corner of my eye. A mouse. Running along the wall of my bedroom (DISGUSTING). Belle sees it, and sprints towards it as it disappears under my bed. Belle sniffs the area intently, all professional.

I decided to set a live trap, rather than killing it with a standard mouse trap or sticky trap (those are disgusting). So I set the trap, and wait for the mouse to get caught. Which it did, late one night.

I grab the live trap, walk out towards the front door, then set the trap down while I went to grab a flashlight (I was going to set the mouse free outside). Belle was following me, and sat down to watch the trap while I was rummaging through the drawer. From where I was standing, I could see Belle, but not the trap.

I saw Belle's head move slightly as she tracked something moving across the floor. I run over there and stare, stunned, as the mouse s-l-o-w-l-y makes its way across the floor and disappears under the closet door, Belle politely sitting and watching it the whole time.

ONCE IT DISAPPEARED, Belle gives a little huff and springs up, sniffing intently at the space beneath the door where the mouse diappeared.

Really, Belle?? She's like those "fierce" fighters who only go after the other guy if it's obvious the fight's never really going to happen. I was sure she would at least run after the mouse...probably not bite it, but at least run and try to sniff it. Instead, she just sat there and watched it...

What do you think your dog would have done?

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
Leeo would have had it in a blink of an eye! He LOVES ratting! :) That is what we do for fun outside in the summer.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Dilly-Dally would have given herself a concussion, thwacking herself in the head while giving chase.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Oh, that's great :) Reminds me of a friend's cat once upon a time. He was actually a great mouser when he wanted to be, he just preferred to be entertained most of the time.

With Chester, I never would have seen the mouse to begin with. If I had gotten a brief glimpse of it, it would have been as it went down the hatch. This is the dog that once grabbed a bird out of the air for a quick snack :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Sierra would have watched it - then chased it with ears perked and head cocked to one side. She does cute poses when little things scurry

Misty would have chased it trying to catch it under her paws (imagine a cat) and getting low to the ground and running (imagine a really fast down moving forward over and over again) at the same time and smacked into whatever it ran under

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Jubel would catch and kill it as he's done before. He didn't eat it but the entire time he was "playing" with it I was saying "drop it, drop it, drop it, drop it" because I didn't want him to eat it. Once it stoped being fun (ie being able to try an escape) he drop it and stepped back looking at me with sort of a "why'd it stop moving" look.

We've seen one more mouse about 7 months later but it made it under a door to the closet with the sump pump and disapeared. Jubel was on high alert looking for it for a few days, haven't seen an evidence of it again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Since Lola is a JRT and they are bred to hunt rats (among other things) I would hope shed would kill it. However she doesn't have a strong prey drive so far so she would probably do just what Belle did!

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys with the "eat it in one bite" dogs....you're lucky. ;)

Since Lola is a JRT and they are bred to hunt rats (among other things) I would hope shed would kill it. However she doesn't have a strong prey drive so far so she would probably do just what Belle did!
Belle's 50% Yorkie, and they were also bred to hunt rats. Someone forgot to tell our dogs what they were bred for! ;)

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
Sophie our Basenji would have had it and ate it before I knew what was going on. She has an extremely high play drive. I took her to the park over the summer and she jumped as high into the air as she could and caught a bird that was flying low.

Damon would have pounced across the room like a rabbit and hopped on it and then tried to eat it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
One time at an old apartment I watched a mouse come out from under the refrigerator, meander over to my cats' food bowl, and start eating. While Thomas, my cat, watched from less than five feet away, sitting on a chair. It was like he was saying, "Please, help yourself."

·
Registered
123 Posts
Brittany would have killed it. And then Bello would have proceeded to try and take it from her after she did the dirty work. I have a feeling Bello would probably end up killing it. But only from playing with it. You should see him with bugs. Ohh lord.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
My Shih Tzu x Maltese don't have much prey drive at all. Couldn't get them interested in a squirrel till I caught it in a live trap and transported it far away to let it loose. Now all I have to say is where is the squirrel and they start looking. (The squirrel was always eating from my bird feeder which I did not mind till it chewed part of it). One of them did catch a mouse once and killed it. I took it away before she would think of eating it.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
We get possums in the backyard almost every night. You would think my dogs were the mighty hunters the way they jump at the fence and bark their crazy heads off. (The possums walk along the top of the fence). However, once a baby possum was in the yard and couldn't climb the fence fast enough, so it "played possum". They just sniffed and sniffed at it until we were able to round them all up and bring them in the house. My ruby cavalier has the most hunting instinct. She's always looking for something to hunt. She had a dead baby mouse once. We don't know if she killed it or if she found it already dead. Luckily, she didn't try to eat it.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Suzi is my small animal killer: Callie is her backup. I guess that comes with being farm dogs with high prey drives.

One day Suzi and Callie came up from the 'holler with a baby groundhog, but they didn't eat it. Our neighbors old lab stole it from them and enjoyed it. I actually have pictures of it... he looks so content with his stolen kill. Haha.

Bryna would probably chase it and accidentally kill it. She was raised with cats and rabbits, so she's pretty easy with small critters.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts