Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors just adopted a new rotti mix we ran into them on our walk and joined them. Jubel and the new rotti greeted fine and looked like they wanted to play a bit but we just separated them and walked.

Near the end of the walk we ran into another regular in the park and stopped to chat with them. We let Jubel and the rotti near each other a few times they'd greet nicely most of the time but then tried to play again but rough housing on leashes isn't good so we separate them again. Both were pretty vocal (normal for Jubel) but looked playful in body language. Then about the third time we let them reach each other it wasn't so playful they both seemed to snap at each other. I'm hoping it was mostly just frustration of not getting to play together (sorta leash frustration) vs. not getting along potential, only time will tell. This is the same neighbor who has watched Jubel while we were on vacation so if they end up not getting along no more dog sitting. :(

Well we didn't think too much of it we had them keep their respective distances and headed home. Both dogs were calm and content to walk and not really focus on or worring over the other. Been home for about 2 hours now and about 20 minutes ago Jubel came over to me and I gave his chest a rub and felt something slimy. Looked at my hand and had a gelly red blob on my finger. Reach back to Jubel's chest and look and I find a little blood. Closer look and I see this:

The wound is close to the diameter of a pencil and doesn't seem to be bothering him at all as I checked it out. I've blotted it with a paperwork soaked with hydrogen peroxide for now to clean it. Should I do anything else other than keep and eye on it?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
No, I don't suspect there is much more you can do. You can shave the area around it to keep the hair away, and clean it regularly with hydrogen peroxide. A little triple antibiotic ointment is good as well.

I would suspect that the altercation is due to frustration more than anything. I would try to let them meet in a large fenced area, or on long lines. It will also help to walk them together more often but not let them do more than a cursory sniff.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neosporin is always hit or miss with Jubel... he wants to eat it so badly. He isn't licking of fussing over it at all right now but I think if I put neosporin on it he'd be trying his damnedest to lick it. Not sure that's better.

I'm hoping they'll do better once we let them play together. It was already a slight concern as they knew she likes to play really rough, Jubel loves rough play too but he has his limits and she might be over them. The other dog really isn't into rough play and the rotti respects that and there hasn't been any issues with them. Since Jubel loves to wrestle it might not work out if she's just too intense for him and they simply escalate from play to fight. Time and lots of caution will tell.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmm... just remembered I intended to take him to daycare tomorrow. Probably shouldn't just to give the wound some time to close up and tell my brother to walk him just on his collar tomorrow. His harness goes right over that wound. *sigh*

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I know it's probably too late, but don't use peroxide on pets or people, b/c it damages (oxidizes) healthy tissue, also. If you can't put neosporin or fresh Aloe (nearly the same as neosporin, in function), then simple soap and water will work. YOu can try to wrap a bandage over the wound... but I imagine he may pull the bandage off and eat it :)

Labs, Rotts (and Pits) play roughly and bloodshed is not uncommon... I agree with you that the change in mood was related to leash frustration.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Ditto on the peroxide! It can make things much worse. Use it at first to clean things only if needed. Then use neosporin or even just plain water to wash things out, again if needed. Keep an eye on it to make sure it's not getting infected underneath as it scabs over (swelling, hot to touch etc.) and leave it to heal.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Keep an eye on it and maybe call your vet and tell them what happened and see if they'll dispense antibiotics. I've seen small punctures turn into nasty abscesses without antibiotics.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Don't use hydrogen peroxide. It kills healthy new tissue. Get some Betadine, and dilute with water until it is the color of weak tea. Use that to flush it with. Then apply a little Neosporin/Triple antibiotic.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put some neosporin on it before we went to bed last night, its position on his chest is out of reach for him to lick it but he sure as hell tried. This morning I used my brothers beard trimmer to try and shave the area a bit with moderate success. Not as cleared as I would have liked but the best I was going to get with the equipment available and Jubel's patience. Washed it again and applied more neosporin.

Best I can do is keep an eye on it, clean, apply neosporin, and head to the vet if it starts to look worse.

Thanks for the tips.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Don't use hydrogen peroxide. It kills healthy new tissue. Get some Betadine, and dilute with water until it is the color of weak tea. Use that to flush it with. Then apply a little Neosporin/Triple antibiotic.
This is very good to know! I have been doing it wrong all along... :/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Okay here's what you do--and don't donk it off too long.
These types of wounds will heal without stitching up--vet usually send you off with a script of antibiotic and instructions to keep the wound clean.

Shave/trim the hair around the wound.
You do not want hair growing back into the healing process/granulation as it closes.

I use this stuff on such wounds...

http://vetericyn.com/benefits/canine.php

It works very well, even the non prescription strength stuff.
If you can locate the vet-grade version, then purchase a bottle from a vet.

The non prescription grade cost around 30 hondos US.
Smear it liberally into the wound twice a day.

It contains Mycotin (sp?) which is more powerful than just plain old antibiotic creams purchased over the counter.
It kills all the bad stuff while promoting healing more rapidly.

It works well.

Also consider using Yunan Baiyao powder....

http://www.modernherbshop.com/Yunnan_Baiyao_Yunnan_Paiyao_s/147.htm#.T5tJLFYjG8o

Break open the capsules or open the bottle version and dump the powder directly into the wound.
The Chinese military issues this stuff to all of their soldiers for field treatment of bleeding traumas.

It works wonders.
You can also give it orally.
For a 70lb Shepherd I'd give two caps per day for five days--then off for three, and back to five days again until the wound heals up.

ST

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I agree with the hydrogen peroxide. I've used it on my own wounds a couple of times.....it'll do the job for disinfecting if you're really stuck and have nothing else, but it definitely isn't the best for healthy tissue (the places I've used it scarred more often than not).
I swear by a "hurt free antisceptic wash" I think its Band-aid brand...its in a blue bottle. I've used it on myself tons and also used it on one of the cats who had a pretty huge ugly wound from being attacked by a wild animal. It works great on me and on the cat. No infections (though the cat got an antibiotic shot when we got to the vet). The bottle is a squirt bottle which makes it really handy to get onto a wriggling animal, plus it doesn't seem to have any ill effects if it gets ingested a little bit. I think it has a teensy bit of lidocaine in it too, and it seriously doesn't hurt any more than clean water would.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's got a nice healthy looking scab on it right now so I'm just leaving it alone and keeping an eye on it for any possible signs of infection. I think it's going to heal up just fine on its own now, he only pays it any attention when I mess with it and really just wondering what I'm doing.

The positive of this is that I've been walking him on just his collar instead of with his harness and he's walking very well. Even in situations that he'd normally pull, ie excited to see and go greet my neighbors, he's still pulling some but not nearly as strongly as with the harness. So I've just ordered him a nice martingale collar and the harness might be retired to car safety use only. We'll see how that works out in the long run I guess. His current buckle collar is just a tab to big and he can slip it if he REALLY wants to so a nice new martingale sized for him should be great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts