Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had Lacey who was a Aussie I could always count on her to protect me, no training was needed!

I don't live in a great neighborhood, I've been stalked few times with or without a dog. I do not feel safe at all walking without a dog anymore nowadays

My question is if someone would to hurt you on a walk with your dog. Would your dog protect you on the spot?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
lets see

my older male is too old to be reliable at anything more than sleeping so...no

my female might bite back she has a history of protecting our property from strangers but I don't know how she would behave off of her property

and my younger male is still a puppy so he loves every one

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
I'm not sure anyone really knows until it's too late. Then, sometimes the dog ends up dead.

My big lab wasn't particularly protective of me. (Labs are right up there with Newfies on the list of dogs to not get for protection.) He was, however, very protective of my daughter and his instincts about how to accomplish that without making a fuss were, to me, amazing.

I used to watch, from a distance, while she walked him. If someone happened to pass them, either going the same direction or from the opposite, he would keep himself between the other person and my daughter until the stranger was at least 50 yards away. He would do this discretely and I doubt anyone even realized it, but he was very consistent about it. And it was the one time he didn't have his nose to the ground exploring interesting smells.

And when some older boys were pelting my son with snowballs and ice chunks, he chased them for 100 yards until he had them pinned up against a fence. He waited (as they did, since he gave them no options) until I caught up and had a little talk with them. That was a leap-of-faith for me since I was about 75 yards away, with the dog on a leash, when I saw this happening and unleashed him, knowing he could get there much faster than I and trusting that he wouldn't actually attack them.

I would not trust Esther to exercise his restraint, and I wouldn't trust Molly to care one way or another.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have wondered that myself with the 2 dogs I currently have. My older one Oliver now 3 1/2 is a huge wimp. Carsten now 17 months is growing up. He is a pretty easy going guy but he has rushed toward things that surprise him vs. Oliver who runs away from things. We had a birthday party for my brother at my parents house yesterday and my sister was there with her 2 boys. Inga my old girl spent several days a week with my sisters older boy when he was little and became very very protective of him. She would get between him and anything or anyone that she perceived as a threat. Once when my nephew was about 2 years old he tootled over to the back of the yard (it is fenced in) the neighbors Sheltie saw him and ran barking at him. Inga ran full speed at that Sheltie and barked/growled the most menacing sound ever. The dog stopped dead in it's tracks (on the other side of the fence) and Inga gently pushed my nephew back toward us by body blocking him. She had played with the Sheltie many many times and always got along famously. She just wasn't going to have anything happen to her boy. So yesterday at the party my brother started rough housing with the 2 nephews. They were screaming help and he was making crazy noises swinging them by their feet and such. Carsten stood up and kept looking at me like "should I be doing something here?" Oliver his behind my chair. Carsten showed good judgment by looking to me for help before making any decisions on his own. I think in time he might become protective but I can pretty safely say, Oliver is never going to be protective. I would most likely see his butt running for cover if I was ever truly threatened. The most I could hope for is that he would at least miss me if I got hurt or killed. lol I love him anyway. I don't have my dogs for protection I have them for companionship so it is fine with me. :)

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
It's hard to say...

Shadow...probably not. Belle, maybe.

With Belle though, there's the intimidation factor. If Belle were to growl or bark at someone, they'd think she's gonna kill them. If Shadow were to growl or bark at someone, they'd just kick the little yapper out of the way.

I'm really not sure...I've never really been a position where they'd need to protect me.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I don't know if my dogs would protect me. My GSD is too old to move quickly and she is very timid. My golden retriever is... well, she's a golden! Our terrier too little to do damage, and I am not his favorite anyway. Our chow chow might do some protecting, but it would depend on her mood. My rottweiler is very friendly and goofy and outgoing, so I doubt he'd be protective. My DH thinks my rottweiler would protect me if needed, but thankfully thus far I haven't needed to find out. :)

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Eevee would. She has before.

Shippo would probably wag his butt at the stranger, and then when things got threatening, he'd probably either run away or run circles around the whole event while barking. >9.9<

·
Registered
58 Posts
If I were being attacked and losing the battle, I think Molly would actually help the attacker :eek:. At least when my kids wrestle she always "attacks" the kid that's losing/on the ground.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I highly doubt it.

Maybe I'd be surprised, but I think Wally would be running back home and then wonder why I haven't come back yet when I'm lying in a ditch dead/heavily wounded :rolleyes:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Aurora would definitely. Banjo's protective, too, but she's a little too cute to do any damage. They both get very nasty when strangers approach us or our house. They turn from these sweet gorgeous loving dogs, to a snarling nasty evil pair that people are scared of. Banjo will turn in an instant, too. I don't trust her judgement. She'll be all sweet and friendly, but with certain people (some of my best friends, included) about 4 or 5 that I know of, she will all of a sudden look up and start growling and barking at them. Even if she was enjoying being pet by them just a minute before.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
what a scary thought knowing your dogs could not be doing anything other then wag it's tail .. I guess last thing is to do is RUN with the dog if the dog is not knowing to protect you in any form way

Especially us woman with dangerous people on the street that is
LOL that's what a can of mace is for, right?

·
Registered
688 Posts
I only know for certain that 2 would

I have been attacked more than I would like
Haven and Lucky they have more than once I didn't have to train Haven to protect me Lucky had to have little motivation.

Ziggy I am not sure of

Gizmo wouldn't physically help me but she has been trained when I say a command to run home to get help. My family knows my dogs don't come home without me or something is wrong.

Cocoa can't physically protect me ever since she was ran over

Happy I don't know he is pretty scared of people still

Max NO absolutely not he was around when I got attacked the last time and ran yelping all the way home.

So I always have either Haven Lucky or Gizmo with me when I take any of the dogs out or just go for a walk.

And when Bear and Buddy were here no one really tried to come near me if I had them leashed up beside me lol

·
Registered
58 Posts
what a scary thought knowing your dogs could not be doing anything other then wag it's tail .. I guess last thing is to do is RUN with the dog if the dog is not knowing to protect you in any form way

Especially us woman with dangerous people on the street that is

Scary thought? Not to me. I didn't get Molly to protect me. Besides, she weighs 13 lbs so one good kick would do her in.

·
Super Moderator
11,443 Posts
To me, the scary thought is that there might be people out there counting on a dog for protection, when the dog has no training for it.

I think that is a disservice to the dog (who should be the protectee, not the protector) and the owner (who may be making a dangerous assumption.)

Even a dog who has the training and inclination is no match for an armed human. I had a friend with a very protective Akita who came home one night to find his house burglarized and his Akita dead.

A large dog may be a visual deterrent and an alert, noisy dog may be audible deterrent, but I wouldn't count on either one to save you from a determined assailant.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
I'm almost 100% certain Matrix would protect me in an attack situation. Fortunately I live in a decent area, and don't worry about it much. I like to think I could protect myself, but a snarling, biting, growling, barking side kick wouldn't hurt :p

To me, the scary thought is that there might be people out there counting on a dog for protection, when the dog has no training for it.

I think that is a disservice to the dog (who should be the protectee, not the protector) and the owner (who may be making a dangerous assumption.)

Even a dog who has the training and inclination is no match for an armed human. I had a friend with a very protective Akita who came home one night to find his house burglarized and his Akita dead.

A large dog may be a visual deterrent and an alert, noisy dog may be audible deterrent, but I wouldn't count on either one to save you from a determined assailant.
good post RonE!

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Four of my dogs couldn't even protect themselves if we were attacked. They are toy sized and a man needn't even be armed to harm or kill them. The other three, I don't know, but I doubt they'd do anything, nor do I expect them to.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
Lacey, Tir and Titch i know would do everything they could to do something....Saoirse, it's hard to say, we don't have the same relationship as the other 3 and i do and she definitely had a little bit of a heavy hand used on her b/4 i got her so she's a bit more skittish w/ "violence"....but, regardless, they would all set off so much noise that that, in itself, would probably have someone looking for an easier target....same w/ breaking into the house.....

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

OMG .. Dead dog to come home to? That's just beyond insane, I think we should also count on the security system?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts