Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My malamute pup is about 11.5 weeks old right now. A couple of days ago, my wife brought up the idea of taking her to the KY state fair this weekend, which is here in Louisville. My first reaction was that they wouldn't allow her in anyhow, but after researching it online, it seems that sure enough...pets are allowed. (We are in KY, after all! LOL)

She has had her 3rd puppy shots. What do you guys think of this idea? Obviously it would be a rare opportunity for socialization. Would you feel safe taking a 23 lb puppy to a busy state fair? I'm trying to weigh all of the potential positives and negatives here.

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
My malamute pup is about 11.5 weeks old right now. A couple of days ago, my wife brought up the idea of taking her to the KY state fair this weekend, which is here in Louisville. My first reaction was that they wouldn't allow her in anyhow, but after researching it online, it seems that sure enough...pets are allowed. (We are in KY, after all! LOL)

She has had her 3rd puppy shots. What do you guys think of this idea? Obviously it would be a rare opportunity for socialization. Would you feel safe taking a 23 lb puppy to a busy state fair? I'm trying to weigh all of the potential positives and negatives here.
Depends on what day and time you go and what you plan to do while there. Daytimes during the week tend to be uncrowded and relatively quiet. If you mostly want to do the inside portion of the fair in the expo halls, I think it would be okay. That is IF your puppy is a mostly outgoing and people oriented kinda dog.

If you want to do the midway or plan to go after 3 pm or on a weekend, NO!

Some issues that might come up:
Kids WILL grab at your dog and try to pet her. Kids don't know any better.
There may be other dogs that bark or growl at her or try to jump on her and play.
Some adults are stupid and will grab at your dog and try to pet her without asking.
People drop food (outside mostly) and grabbing bites of fair food could make her sick easily.
Some areas are very noisy.

I thought 11.5 weeks was kinda young to have had her 3rd set of shots (more like 14 weeks was normal?) but I could be wrong on this totally.

I have seen dogs there before, including puppies. Some people tote their puppies in a small wagon to keep them from being tripped over or getting underfoot in the crowds.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I wouldn't either. She's had her 3rd round of shots and she's only almost 12 weeks old? How old was she when she started her shots?
When we adopted our 2nd puppy the rescue said she was 9 weeks old and had already had 2 rounds of shots. However, our vet said that we needed to re-do the shots, as she was too young when she got them.

The general schedule, I think, is 8 weeks/12 weeks/16 weeks. If vaccines are given too early, the protection they received from mama's milk (if mama was vaccinated) fights off the vaccine, so the vaccine does no good. So, you might check with your vet and make sure.

Other than that, I do think it's a bit too overwhelming, in general. Socialization is very important, but that's an awful lot at once!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I tend to agree with what has been said so far. While it can be a great chance to socialize, it may also be a bit overwhelming.

I would take Shell's advice about heading over before it gets too busy. I think you can make this a great chance to socialize and experience something new, but just plan for success - ie, when there are very few people/dogs around.

edit: that said, others can step in about vaccinations...it does seem very early to be done the third round...

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I think she's a little too young yet. Its not the shots I'm worried about, (however if there are lots of other dogs there, that is indeed a consideration) its that I think it might be a little overwhelming at this age. I'm thinking of the fair here in Pomona, Ca though, which is huge and very crowded and noisy. If your's isnt like that, or if they have a quieter time to go, I'd say yes. If you do, be prepared to carry her a lot, bring lots of cold water and her midday meal and take many quiet breaks. Watch her for signs that shes getting overwhelmed; yawning, licking her lips, and be prepared to leave if shes had enough.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we took her. We went earlier in the day, and stayed in the "tamer" areas (near the food places, and inside among the vendor's booths). Based on what I had seen from her prior to this, I felt like she would be able to handle it.

Let me tell you this: if you ever want an unending stream of attention, take your puppy to the fair. We literally could not walk 10 steps without someone asking to pet her (which was really the whole point of bringing her anyway). She met folks from ages 2 through about 70, and she did very well. She gave out some licks here and there, and wasn't impolite with anyone. I feel like we have done a good job of socializing her.

As a side note, I am coming to think that vast majority of the general public has never heard of an Alaskan Malamute. I must have heard "Oh! Look at the husky!" seemingly hundreds of times during the 3 hours we were there.

·
Registered
5,074 Posts
I wish the fair here allowed dogs (party poopers) I would love to take Jo, she would have a fun time. Im glad to hear you are socializing your pup, most ppl dont understand the importance of socialization

·
Registered
11,257 Posts
Sounds like it went well and you choose a good time and location. Also that you knew your dog would like it. I hope you double checked with your vet about the shots timing. Off to a good start with the socializing.

I was there Sunday and saw a very tiny Chi or Chi/Min-Pin in a stroller. I did a double take at seeing the dog in a regular kid's stroller and asked the owner how old the pup was... 7 weeks! The poor thing was shaking in her little harness and obviously not thrilled to be there.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Well, we took her. We went earlier in the day, and stayed in the "tamer" areas (near the food places, and inside among the vendor's booths). Based on what I had seen from her prior to this, I felt like she would be able to handle it.

Let me tell you this: if you ever want an unending stream of attention, take your puppy to the fair. We literally could not walk 10 steps without someone asking to pet her (which was really the whole point of bringing her anyway). She met folks from ages 2 through about 70, and she did very well. She gave out some licks here and there, and wasn't impolite with anyone. I feel like we have done a good job of socializing her.

As a side note, I am coming to think that vast majority of the general public has never heard of an Alaskan Malamute. I must have heard "Oh! Look at the husky!" seemingly hundreds of times during the 3 hours we were there.
Our trainer always tells us that by the time our dog is 2 years old, we should aim for her to have been petted by 2,000 people (for socialization purposes). Sounds like you got the first 1k in right there :D rofl

I'm glad it all went well. I would have taken her too! I can't wait to take Sam on the Paws for the Cause walk in early September. She'll be a little over 5 months old. Should be great fun.

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Basil likes going to busy fairs and such. I'm not afraid to pick him up and firmly tell people to back off if he's getting mobbed, though. If you pup can handle it then it may be a good opportunity for socialization. I see you've already taken her, and it sounds like you guys had a great time! Just keep an eye on her body language and make sure she isn't getting stressed or overwhelmed. You know your dog best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts